Carburetor/Pittsburgh - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
Carburetor/Pittsburgh

I did some searching here on the forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know of anyone who can service/diagnose carburetor problems in Pittsburgh PA?

I put the Weber 32/36 in myself in my 85 CJ7 but that was almost eight years ago. I have a very basic efficiency at working on my rig so I'm not 100% confident that I'm the guy to figure this one out.

I did, however, remove all vacuum lines when I installed the Weber so it's definitely not that complicated under the hood. It's just been a while since I worked on it myself.

It was bogging out on me whenever I came to a stop so I'd have to feed it fuel to prevent from stalling; however, it ran great when in gear as long as I had my foot on the accelerator. I tweaked the fuel/air mixture screw/fast idle adjustment and it worked great for a day or two, even idling at a stop. Then a day or two later while driving it started bogging out, I was in gear giving it fuel and it kept bogging and finally just stalled.

I thought maybe it was the fuel pump or something else in the line/filter etc.

The shop that I have it at now is the one that towed it and I thought they would be able to service it bu they only handle general service and the best they can do is tell me that hey are 90% sure it's the carb.

I'm having a hell of a time finding someone who can take a look at it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

cochedefuerza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 AM
twmattox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,324
The Weber is a pretty straight forward carb. Buy a tune-up kit (get a new power valve too) and re-build it. It shouldn't take more than a few hours (and a few beers).
twmattox is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
I take it, from what I've stated, you're confident that it's the carb?
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Classicr86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 24
I had the same problem a while back. Kept messing with the adjustments until one day I took the lid off the choke. The coil spring had come off and let the butterfly just hang. I put the spring back on and sqeezed the end shut a little and no problems since.

86 CJ7 / Black / 31's / Love Those Round Headlights /258 w/ 4.0 head, Weber 32 36 & HEI
Classicr86 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
I appreciate the feedback.

I'm having my rig towed to my place so I can give it a go myself. I just ordered a rebuild kit so between that and taking a look at what you mentioned it looks like I've got a good shot at solving the problem.
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Classicr86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 24
Where did you order the kit from? I've had trouble finding a reasonable one.

86 CJ7 / Black / 31's / Love Those Round Headlights /258 w/ 4.0 head, Weber 32 36 & HEI
Classicr86 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
Here's the site:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/?Cli...FQdEFQodLDBAWg

Here's the page where I ordered the rebuild kit and the power valve:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_3...Parts_s/49.htm
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Classicr86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 24
Hey, thanks and good luck. You don't know how many times I've looked for this. Even on Webers site. For some reason I've never found that page. Let us know what you find.

86 CJ7 / Black / 31's / Love Those Round Headlights /258 w/ 4.0 head, Weber 32 36 & HEI
Classicr86 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochedefuerza
I did some searching here on the forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know of anyone who can service/diagnose carburetor problems in Pittsburgh PA?

I put the Weber 32/36 in myself in my 85 CJ7 but that was almost eight years ago. I have a very basic efficiency at working on my rig so I'm not 100% confident that I'm the guy to figure this one out.

I did, however, remove all vacuum lines when I installed the Weber so it's definitely not that complicated under the hood. It's just been a while since I worked on it myself.

It was bogging out on me whenever I came to a stop so I'd have to feed it fuel to prevent from stalling; however, it ran great when in gear as long as I had my foot on the accelerator. I tweaked the fuel/air mixture screw/fast idle adjustment and it worked great for a day or two, even idling at a stop. Then a day or two later while driving it started bogging out, I was in gear giving it fuel and it kept bogging and finally just stalled.

I thought maybe it was the fuel pump or something else in the line/filter etc.

The shop that I have it at now is the one that towed it and I thought they would be able to service it bu they only handle general service and the best they can do is tell me that hey are 90% sure it's the carb.

I'm having a hell of a time finding someone who can take a look at it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
You sure could be describing a fuel filter giving it's last gasps....

I plug up one every couple years because of the dirt that gathers by the filler. A little falls in lots. I even carry a spare...

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
RebelW26GT
Registered User
 
RebelW26GT's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 22
Domination Chassis is in Carnegie, they could do it. They did the drivetrain swap in my ZJ.

Ph. 412-999-1910

jay.cooper@dominationchassis.com

Domination Chassis
529 Keystone Dr.
Carnegie PA, 15216

<<

Stephen
95 ZJ
Engine: 6.0L Magnum
Trans: NV3500
T-Case: 231D
RebelW26GT is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
You sure could be describing a fuel filter giving it's last gasps....

I plug up one every couple years because of the dirt that gathers by the filler. A little falls in lots. I even carry a spare...
You know that's one of the first things I thought of (in addition to fuel pump); however, earlier today I already ordered the weber rebuild kit. In hindsight I should have replaced the cheapest parts first but oh well the rebuild and power valve only came to $46 with shipping.

I just got my rig towed to my place a few hours ago, had to leave home, just got back and haven't looked at it yet.

Tomorrow, I'll replace the fuel filter and check the butterfly in the carb per classicr86's recommendation.

If it ends up being the filter, pump, or butterfly at least I'll have the rebuild kit for a later date.

I'll inform once I solve the problem just in case anyone is interested.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
Just replaced fuel filter and it appears as if that was definitely part of the problem but not the entire problem.

Now it idles like a champ but when I put it in gear and give it some gas it bogs right out to a stall. If I barely feather the accelerator while slowly letting the clutch out, however, it runs decent.

I don't have enough lighting to see inside the carb (I live in the city so all I have is my tool boxes and that's it) so I'll have to wait to tomorrow to check out the butterfly.
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
Butterfly looks fine as well.

Looks like it's up to the carb rebuild kit to solve the problem in it's entirety.
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
cochedefuerza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: city
Posts: 13
In need of more assistance

I just removed the carb and I'm prepared to rebuild it with the weber rebuild kit I ordered last week.

My problem- the kit did not come with instructions; although it did come with a black and white schematic of the entire carb, but the schematic is very small and it's difficult to identify what's what.

I am unable to determine where the parts that came in the rebuild kit are located in the carb with the exception of the obvious (power valve, pump diaphragm, and some gaskets)

Additionally, I'm unable to find the original manual that came with the carb. (Moved around the country a few times since the original install in 2000).

any suggestions?
cochedefuerza is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochedefuerza
In need of more assistance

I just removed the carb and I'm prepared to rebuild it with the weber rebuild kit I ordered last week.

My problem- the kit did not come with instructions; although it did come with a black and white schematic of the entire carb, but the schematic is very small and it's difficult to identify what's what.

I am unable to determine where the parts that came in the rebuild kit are located in the carb with the exception of the obvious (power valve, pump diaphragm, and some gaskets)

Additionally, I'm unable to find the original manual that came with the carb. (Moved around the country a few times since the original install in 2000).

any suggestions?
Maybe try here in the tech area.
http://www.redlineweber.com/

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Best Carburetor for AMC 360? Bobby9821 Jeep CJ Forum 8 08-15-2011 09:05 PM
About Carburetor CJ 86 CJ-Dan86 Jeep CJ Forum 6 01-20-2010 05:08 PM
Which Carburetor? jamest1234 Jeep CJ Forum 9 09-08-2009 04:12 PM
Best Carburetor for 304??? Flange Jeep CJ Forum 5 03-19-2009 10:59 AM
any place near pittsburgh that i can get some black steel wheels cheap? redlinedcj Jeep CJ Forum 1 04-12-2005 08:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome