Carburetor/Pittsburgh - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carburetor/Pittsburgh

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
cochedefuerza

Carburetor/Pittsburgh

I did some searching here on the forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know of anyone who can service/diagnose carburetor problems in Pittsburgh PA?

I put the Weber 32/36 in myself in my 85 CJ7 but that was almost eight years ago. I have a very basic efficiency at working on my rig so I'm not 100% confident that I'm the guy to figure this one out.

I did, however, remove all vacuum lines when I installed the Weber so it's definitely not that complicated under the hood. It's just been a while since I worked on it myself.

It was bogging out on me whenever I came to a stop so I'd have to feed it fuel to prevent from stalling; however, it ran great when in gear as long as I had my foot on the accelerator. I tweaked the fuel/air mixture screw/fast idle adjustment and it worked great for a day or two, even idling at a stop. Then a day or two later while driving it started bogging out, I was in gear giving it fuel and it kept bogging and finally just stalled.

I thought maybe it was the fuel pump or something else in the line/filter etc.

The shop that I have it at now is the one that towed it and I thought they would be able to service it bu they only handle general service and the best they can do is tell me that hey are 90% sure it's the carb.

I'm having a hell of a time finding someone who can take a look at it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

cochedefuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
twmattox

The Weber is a pretty straight forward carb. Buy a tune-up kit (get a new power valve too) and re-build it. It shouldn't take more than a few hours (and a few beers).
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
cochedefuerza

I take it, from what I've stated, you're confident that it's the carb?
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Classicr86

I had the same problem a while back. Kept messing with the adjustments until one day I took the lid off the choke. The coil spring had come off and let the butterfly just hang. I put the spring back on and sqeezed the end shut a little and no problems since.
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
cochedefuerza

I appreciate the feedback.

I'm having my rig towed to my place so I can give it a go myself. I just ordered a rebuild kit so between that and taking a look at what you mentioned it looks like I've got a good shot at solving the problem.
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Classicr86

Where did you order the kit from? I've had trouble finding a reasonable one.
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
cochedefuerza

Here's the site:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/?Cli...FQdEFQodLDBAWg

Here's the page where I ordered the rebuild kit and the power valve:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_3...Parts_s/49.htm
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Classicr86

Hey, thanks and good luck. You don't know how many times I've looked for this. Even on Webers site. For some reason I've never found that page. Let us know what you find.
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochedefuerza
I did some searching here on the forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know of anyone who can service/diagnose carburetor problems in Pittsburgh PA?

I put the Weber 32/36 in myself in my 85 CJ7 but that was almost eight years ago. I have a very basic efficiency at working on my rig so I'm not 100% confident that I'm the guy to figure this one out.

I did, however, remove all vacuum lines when I installed the Weber so it's definitely not that complicated under the hood. It's just been a while since I worked on it myself.

It was bogging out on me whenever I came to a stop so I'd have to feed it fuel to prevent from stalling; however, it ran great when in gear as long as I had my foot on the accelerator. I tweaked the fuel/air mixture screw/fast idle adjustment and it worked great for a day or two, even idling at a stop. Then a day or two later while driving it started bogging out, I was in gear giving it fuel and it kept bogging and finally just stalled.

I thought maybe it was the fuel pump or something else in the line/filter etc.

The shop that I have it at now is the one that towed it and I thought they would be able to service it bu they only handle general service and the best they can do is tell me that hey are 90% sure it's the carb.

I'm having a hell of a time finding someone who can take a look at it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
You sure could be describing a fuel filter giving it's last gasps....

I plug up one every couple years because of the dirt that gathers by the filler. A little falls in lots. I even carry a spare...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
RebelW26GT
1995 ZJ 

Domination Chassis is in Carnegie, they could do it. They did the drivetrain swap in my ZJ.

Ph. 412-999-1910

jay.cooper@dominationchassis.com

Domination Chassis
529 Keystone Dr.
Carnegie PA, 15216

<<
Trans: NV3500
T-Case: 231D
RebelW26GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
cochedefuerza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
You sure could be describing a fuel filter giving it's last gasps....

I plug up one every couple years because of the dirt that gathers by the filler. A little falls in lots. I even carry a spare...
You know that's one of the first things I thought of (in addition to fuel pump); however, earlier today I already ordered the weber rebuild kit. In hindsight I should have replaced the cheapest parts first but oh well the rebuild and power valve only came to $46 with shipping.

I just got my rig towed to my place a few hours ago, had to leave home, just got back and haven't looked at it yet.

Tomorrow, I'll replace the fuel filter and check the butterfly in the carb per classicr86's recommendation.

If it ends up being the filter, pump, or butterfly at least I'll have the rebuild kit for a later date.

I'll inform once I solve the problem just in case anyone is interested.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Unread 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
cochedefuerza

Just replaced fuel filter and it appears as if that was definitely part of the problem but not the entire problem.

Now it idles like a champ but when I put it in gear and give it some gas it bogs right out to a stall. If I barely feather the accelerator while slowly letting the clutch out, however, it runs decent.

I don't have enough lighting to see inside the carb (I live in the city so all I have is my tool boxes and that's it) so I'll have to wait to tomorrow to check out the butterfly.
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
cochedefuerza

Butterfly looks fine as well.

Looks like it's up to the carb rebuild kit to solve the problem in it's entirety.
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
cochedefuerza

In need of more assistance

I just removed the carb and I'm prepared to rebuild it with the weber rebuild kit I ordered last week.

My problem- the kit did not come with instructions; although it did come with a black and white schematic of the entire carb, but the schematic is very small and it's difficult to identify what's what.

I am unable to determine where the parts that came in the rebuild kit are located in the carb with the exception of the obvious (power valve, pump diaphragm, and some gaskets)

Additionally, I'm unable to find the original manual that came with the carb. (Moved around the country a few times since the original install in 2000).

any suggestions?
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochedefuerza
In need of more assistance

I just removed the carb and I'm prepared to rebuild it with the weber rebuild kit I ordered last week.

My problem- the kit did not come with instructions; although it did come with a black and white schematic of the entire carb, but the schematic is very small and it's difficult to identify what's what.

I am unable to determine where the parts that came in the rebuild kit are located in the carb with the exception of the obvious (power valve, pump diaphragm, and some gaskets)

Additionally, I'm unable to find the original manual that came with the carb. (Moved around the country a few times since the original install in 2000).

any suggestions?
Maybe try here in the tech area.
http://www.redlineweber.com/
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.