Carburetor adjustment??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carburetor adjustment???

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Carburetor adjustment???

I have a CJ7 258 with Carter BBD ( I just rebuilt), no stepper on it and a Nutter Bypass, no smog/air cleaning crap, no computer and a regular distributer with ignition coil. Pretty strait forward setup. All seems well except when you hit the gas hard/quick it sounds like it's starved for air and will stall. A slow press of the pedal and she revs up find. I know this is a bunt for some of you guys but I'm not an expert. Also...can anyone tell me what vac holes to plug and what needs to be open. I need air from someplace but I don't know where. The choke seems to be open but I don't know if it's open enough...maybe it's at about 45 degree angle. Some help PLEASE. Thanks.

Chlarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue. I'd start off by changing the fuel filter(make sure it's the right one and connected correctly). If that doesn't help check fuel pump. The float height might not be set properly too in the carb since the rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Pump and filter are fairly new but had old gas in tank so filter could be it. About the float height though...too high or too low??? What do ya think? Thanks for the quick response also.
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlarock View Post
I have a CJ7 258 with Carter BBD ( I just rebuilt), no stepper on it and a Nutter Bypass, no smog/air cleaning crap, no computer and a regular distributer with ignition coil. Pretty strait forward setup. All seems well except when you hit the gas hard/quick it sounds like it's starved for air and will stall. A slow press of the pedal and she revs up find. I know this is a bunt for some of you guys but I'm not an expert. Also...can anyone tell me what vac holes to plug and what needs to be open. I need air from someplace but I don't know where. The choke seems to be open but I don't know if it's open enough...maybe it's at about 45 degree angle. Some help PLEASE. Thanks.
Chlarock,

I would double check the accelerator pump spec and the possibility that one of the check balls (is it legal to say check balls?) was omitted or the little one was put in where the big one should be. Can you get a good steady stream of fuel into the venturi as you move the the throttle plate linkage?
Also, timing advance plays a part in the "snap" when you hammer the skinny pedal. Is timing in the 8* to 12* area? There are some good threads about timing, tuning and how they all work together. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

You lost me a bit there Jon In Tucson. My balls are good (is THAT legal???). But what do you mean buy the accelerator pump spec? How Do I check that. Timing is at 8*ish. Also, what about all the vac line connections on the carb. What gets capped and what do you need connected? I'm mainly confused about the two large ones at the top that are one above the other opposite the throttle linkage side.
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
You lost me a bit there Jon In Tucson. My balls are good (is THAT legal???). But what do you mean buy the accelerator pump spec? How Do I check that. Timing is at 8*ish. Also, what about all the vac line connections on the carb. What gets capped and what do you need connected? I'm mainly confused about the two large ones at the top that are one above the other opposite the throttle linkage side.
I guess what I was trying to say that there is a little cam and "s" link that operate the accel pump lever. I don't remember how it is supposed to be set. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the help. It's another adjustment I wasn't aware of. I'll do some research. Thanks again.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The accelerator pump adjustment is a little different on the Carter (versus, say, the MC2100/2150). The adjustment is made inside the carb under the top cover.

Do you have a good TSM? It will be infinitely helpful when dialing in your carb. All the specs are there.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Recheck your float level to be sure the res. for the acc. pump is filled to the notches.
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

You need to get the Carter BBD rebuid manual, you can find it on line.

There is a procedure for setting the float level, accelerator pump and metering rods relative to the throttle linkage that is a bit fiddly but amy be the cause of some of your problems.

The choke only opening 45 degrees suggests an issue with the choke setup. Again you need to consult the manual.

The accelerator pump may not be delivering. Mine fell apart an dlack of pump was the final straw that made me buy a Weber 38 aftyer 5 years of struggling with BBD.

The other problem may be leaks. If you do not have the correct vacuum tube setup and have an open one you will struggle to have the right mixture at all stages of throttle position.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If your choke plate isn't strait up and down after warm up it needs fixed.

Watch this:

86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

I agree with the comments about the choke plate, doesn't sound like it's open completely. Also agree that you should confirm all vac ports are plumbed correctly or capped if not being used. Couple other things to think about - I've heard the EGR can cause hesitation coming off idle. Not sure if you have an EGR valve since you said the engine has no smog equipment, but if you do, you can try unhooking the vacuum line at the EGR and plugging the line. Another thing for me was the idle mixture screw adjustment. I had a bad hesitation on my Carter coming off idle and I was able to eliminate it by fiddling with the idle mixture screws. I think I had to richen the idle mixture. Not sure why that helped, but it definitely eliminated the stumble in the transition out of the idle circuit in the carb.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Excellent info from ALL.
Hey I got a joke
Guy walks into a bar and says "I just rebuilt my carb". Bartender says "must run great". First guy says " It would but I put the Venturi Cluster in UP SIDE DOWN"!!!
What a DOPE!!!
Guess who the guy is that walked into the bar????

Jeep runs like a top now. Cluster blocks the choke from opening all the way when it's FREAKIN' UP SIDE DOWN!!!!!
Sorry to waist all your time but THANKS A MILLION for the help. I did learn a bit more about carbs though.
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Pump and filter are fairly new but had old gas in tank so filter could be it.
There is a sock filter inside the tank on the fuel pick up tube. Mine was restricted badly. See if you can blow thru the lines backwards into the fuel tank.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

I put a new fuel sender in the tank.
I thought I was out of the woods and went for a test drive. If I take my foot of the gas quickly at say 40 or 50 MPH to shift, the engine dies. What adjustment would that be??? Or is it a timing issue? I set the timing at about 8*<

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.