Which Carburetor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which Carburetor?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
jamest1234
1986 CJ7 

Which Carburetor?

I have a 1986 stock CJ7 that I'm replacing the carburetor on. Does anyone know if I should be ordering a carburetor with a stepper motor or one without the computer hook up. This site has two listed.

http://www.guaranteedcarbs.com/cgi-b...6&keywords=all

Thanks!

jamest1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

James,
If your '86 is stock and has the wire plug stuck into the back of the carb, then you need the stepper motor/ feed back carb. If you have doubts, call those folks up at the carb place with the tag number. It is the little metal thing on the top of the carb with one of the screws through it. That will assure you that you get the right one for your application. Is the carb too worn out to rebuild? The kits for a BBD is around $20.00 and it is not too difficult a chore. The best thing to do if you decide to rebuild your own carb is not to get in a hurry. Mike Romain, who posts here quite often is a Carter BBD guru, and is great for advice. Good luck and God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Do you have emissions testing? If not then you may want to consider the Nutter bypass(do a search). This will free up your carb choices and make your Jeep run better. Look into the team rush ignition upgrade too.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
SD84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

What if you do have emissions to worry about?
SD84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
jamest1234
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the feedback. This helps a lot. I've rebuilt this carburetor a number of times but think it is better to go with a remanufactured one. If I didn't still have emissions to worry about I would go with one of the other options. But give that VA is one of those testing states, that path isn't open as far as I can tell.

Cheers!
Unread 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
strongarm
1984 CJ7 

Go with the Weber 32/36. Straightforward installation and you will regret not having done the swap sooner.
strongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
jamest1234
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongarm View Post
Go with the Weber 32/36. Straightforward installation and you will regret not having done the swap sooner.
Would this impact the emissions testing. I think I still have another year or two where I still need to have emissions done in VA.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
uncasid
1986 CJ7 

I have the same jeep and am also looking to do an upgrade. Does the 32/36 impact the emissions testing?
uncasid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
chill254
1984 CJ8 

It really depends on your state and how particular they are about the visual inspection because you can probably pass the sniffer.

The weber is not a factory carb and is not desigined to incorperate the emission controls on the jeep.
In some states that will fail you.

The factory carb was part of a feedback system that includes the carb metering pins, o2 sensor, and timing adjustment.

I could get my jeep to pass the sniffer with an old EMPI I had. So if all you have to pass is the sniffer then you MIGHT be ok. Lots of thing can effect your emissions beyond the carb.

The best thing you can do is to check you laws and take another car and see how particular they are about the visual inspection.

Basic answer is yes going to anything other than a factory carb will impact emissions testing.
chill254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest1234 View Post
Would this impact the emissions testing. I think I still have another year or two where I still need to have emissions done in VA.
I have a Weber 32/36 and pass emissions with ALL of the pollution control junk by passed.

You may want to check local laws to see how picky they are on the visual. In ABQ all they care about is CO and NOX
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.