Carburetor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carburetor

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
martin10

Carburetor

Looking to buy a new carburtor. It will be used for some off road but mainly just for the street. Whats the best one money can buy for an 84 cj 7 with the 258.

martin10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10 View Post
Looking to buy a new carburtor. It will be used for some off road but mainly just for the street. Whats the best one money can buy for an 84 cj 7 with the 258.
Depends on what you have done to your engine.
If you still have the 'Computer' then you will need to replace the Carter BBD you have with another Carter BBD.

If you have eliminated that stuff, then your best bet would be a MC 2100.
---------------------------

I don't like Webber carbs, but that is a personal opioion.

In my estimation, the 'BEST MONEY CAN BUY' is fuel injection...
Other than that, a Holley with the proper 'Off Road' upgrades.
Easy stuff, but most people don't take the time.

The most cost effective/'bang for your buck' will be the Motorcraft 2100.

Last edited by JeepHammer; 05-26-2008 at 05:22 PM..
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
martin10

It does not have the electric feed Back. Ive heard alot of good things about the weber carburetors.
Unread 05-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

I love my Weber 32/36.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
martin10

Thats the carburetor I was looking at. I have a new Carter and have had alot of problems. Will the weber match up ok with an HEI distributer.
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
jcooley7
1985 CJ7 

i just got a holley 2bbl for 260
jcooley7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I willl throw my vote behind the Motorcraft MC2100/2150.
They are Just as reliable, easy to tune, performance is great, much cheaper, deeper knowledge base, been around for 40+ years, easily found in junk yards and rebuildable in 2 hrs.
The list of advantages goes on with not one down side that I have encountered.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
martin10

I dont know any thing about rebuilding carburetors. Can you buy one new or remanufactured and what kind of mods do you have to do to get it to work on the 258.
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
crawdad
1984 CJ7 

Check out this link to a fellow who sells them on ebay. He also provides the linkage that you will need. I've never bought from him, but I've heard some others talking about him in another thread. They seemed to be very satisfied with his rebuilds. HTH http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...QQcmdZViewItem
Unread 05-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
martin10

Thanks for the info
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
philly5eagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Check out this link to a fellow who sells them on ebay. He also provides the linkage that you will need. I've never bought from him, but I've heard some others talking about him in another thread. They seemed to be very satisfied with his rebuilds. HTH http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...QQcmdZViewItem
I bought one from him. Hooked up with minimal issues and fired right up. I've been very happy.
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A kit for the BBD carb runs less than $20.00 most places and is really easy to put in. That carb is supposed to get a kit every time the engine needs sparkplugs and gets really cranky about it when it is not done.

Mine just purrs, so do all the ones I have helped folks kit. The kit instructions are straight forward, you just don't unscrew or unadjust anything you don't need to to clean it.

As far as aftermarket carbs go, none of them seem to be set up for the 258 because none of them can pass emissions from what I have read over the years. The BBD, even with no computer running it will tune up easy and pass the sniffer.

Take the 2100, great carb, but made for 304 cubic inches, not 258, so it's too rich so the gas mileage is lower and the sniffer says fail. The BBD can get over 20 mpg highway easy, it's 'supposed' to from new, I get 22 mpg if I stay under 65 mph and my CJ friends fill up real close to mine when we are on trips, so theirs are the same. We beatYJ and TJ 4.0 guys by at least $15.00 a fill less.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.