Carburetor for a 1972 AMC 304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carburetor for a 1972 AMC 304

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Carburetor for a 1972 AMC 304

This is my first post here so be easy on me...grin...

I wanted to get your guys opinions on the Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Off Road (in which I can't find existing threads for) and the Holley Truck Avenger, or any other carb you guys would recommend looking at. I am going to mount one of these on an Edelbrock performer intake manifold.

I use my CJ extensively deer hunting in CA on all types of terrain such as steep climbs, off camber tech stuff and many creek bottoms etc...I hate carburetor hick ups...although my MC2150 is not that bad but I just want a bit more perfection...grin...

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

ASteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I essentially have the Eldelbrock AEV carb... It's the performer with spring loaded needles and seats. It does pretty good, but steep slow climbs in the rocks drives you crazy. If you on the gas like a muddy hill climb it's great. I don't have problems in the rocks other wise. the 600CFm is just to big for the 304. A fuel regulator would probably make it work better. It would be a very nice street carb and moderate wheeler.
If they had the TA470 when I got the performer would have gone with that one. Just the high vent tubes and the easy calibration of the floats would make it better choice then the eldebrock IMHO. Your 2150 is supposed to be a great carb when set up properly. Maybe a rebuild kit and a case of beer for the local carb guru or speed shop could set up perfectly.
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Nick,

Thanks for the info. For now I think I am going to start with the Edelbrock performer intake and mount my MC 2150 on it.

Again, thanks!

Steve
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

ASteve

I tend to be a bit conservative, and i like substance over form. Before it looks good, its got to be good. With that in mind, IMO, if you want power, start looking for a AMC 360. http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/2thumbup.gif For the money you will drop on the intake, and probably later a carb, you could put that money toward plane stock 360 and get a lot more "bang for your buck" than upgrading your 304.

For your "exclusive" hunting use, the MC 2150 will work good, hickups?, make sure you hve a good tune and maybe a carb rebuild. My MC 2150 and 304 works great off road. I experimented with some 4BBL and went back to the 2150. If you go from low altitude to high altitude, you will hve to lean it just a little (I turn air adjustment out about half a turn, make sure to readjust when you go back down or could burn some valves). And you will need to do that with any carb.

A very inexpensive up grade you should try before carb swap is the Teamrush up grade. Everyone "swears" by it including me. It is an ignition upgrade. And could solve the hiccups….maybe.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...-v-8-a-581179/

Jeephammer has a great detail step by step post on it complete with parts to get, diagrams etc. All does not have to be done and once,

Great starts, power, performance and good mileage (if you keep your foot out of it), the whole thing cost me less than $50.

And the nice thing, if you did want a AMC 360 later, it will fit right on.

Welcome to the forum,
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Thanks h2ojeep,

I have seen a lot of post that are negative to the AMC 304 and refer to upgrading to an AMC 360. For me I love my 1972 AMC 304. With a few people in the back my jeep will pop wheelies...So, the power thing for me is not an issue. I just wanted "perfection" (smoothness...) when it came to my carburetion.

The hickups I have are after I let the clutch out and start to increase the throttle it will hesitate then go. I think you are correct that the only thing I need to do is fine tune my MC 2150. So, this leads to one more question...I need to replace my intake gasket anyways...so why I am at it I was going to put on the Edelbrock performer intake. Does this intake manifold match the MC 2150 or does this lead to more mods to make it work?

I appreaciate the info. Very informative!

Agian, thanks.

Steve
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

My AMC 304

Just checking out the photo upload process for Jeep Forum...

http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/118477878

Jeep off the mountain and fire wall and fenders painted, new spark plug wires, R & M wire loom installed and conveluted tubing with insulated hangers installed.

Last edited by ASteve; 10-21-2009 at 08:34 AM..
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
Thanks h2ojeep,

I have seen a lot of post that are negative to the AMC 304 and refer to upgrading to an AMC 360. For me I love my 1972 AMC 304. With a few people in the back my jeep will pop wheelies...So, the power thing for me is not an issue. I just wanted "perfection" (smoothness...) when it came to my carburetion.

The hickups I have are after I let the clutch out and start to increase the throttle it will hesitate then go. I think you are correct that the only thing I need to do is fine tune my MC 2150. So, this leads to one more question...I need to replace my intake gasket anyways...so why I am at it I was going to put on the Edelbrock performer intake. Does this intake manifold match the MC 2150 or does this lead to more mods to make it work?

I appreaciate the info. Very informative!

Agian, thanks.

Steve
Steve,
First off, I like the 304, and think it is a great engine for a jeep as is the 258 inline 6. But if you are wanting performance, the 360 in stock configuration is “pretty dog gone good. “. I am leisurely looking for an extra engine and will take the either a 360 or 304, which ever comes first. IMO , for a jeep, the 360 with a 2bbl is a good choice especially when you look at torque, and the 4bbl probably a gas hog with higher RPM and very little benefit in the gain of HP or torque. The 304 and 360 are for the most part, identical engines (See table below)so a swap has few (almost no) complications.

Engine CuIn..........Bore...Stroke......HP@RPM......Torqu e@RPM

360 w/4bbl...........4.09...3.44........195...4400...... 295...2900

360 w/2bbl...........4.09...3.44........175...4000...... 285...2400

304 w/ 2bbl..........3.75...3.44........150...3200......2 45...2400

As to the Edelbrock intake: I don’t think that you can get it for a 2bbl, 4bbl only. Which means that you will have to adapt it back to the 2150. That will be easy and cheep with an adapter from the local parts store . Here is one form jegs.
Trans Dapt 2087 Trans Dapt Performance Products Carb Adapters

And I think you will have some modifications for your accelerator linkage.
I cant remember if your 72 will have the EGR valve, if so, some of that will have to come off and you will have some re-plumbing to do . You will probably loose your choke connections and that could be a challenge to hook up a choke or simply go to a manual choke.

The AMC intake has a Phenolic Spacer (heat insulating gasket) under the carb to keep the 2150 cool. With out it, vapor lock may become a problem and you wont have it with the adapter. It appears the edelbrock has a exhaust crossover through the intake, so you can get plugs for the cross over from edelbrock thus keeping the 2bbl cool, and it will take a little longer to warm up. Check with Edelbrock first, to make sure the crossover plugs are available for that intake.

There is probably some things I haven’t though about, but as I noted in my first post It would be logical that you will end up with a 4bbl if you make the intake swap.

The hiccup: get a rebuild kit for the mc2150 which will include a new accelerator pump. Likely the problem will go away.
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

h20jeep,

Wow! You have been very helpful. I have researched a bit more and I'll keep my original intake manifold.

Last question...can you buy the 360 heads and mount them on the 304 block?

Just courious...

Again, Thanks!
Unread 10-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Cherokeester
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
h20jeep,

Wow! You have been very helpful. I have researched a bit more and I'll keep my original intake manifold.

Just courious...

Again, Thanks!
From what I understand the answer to that question is no. You will have valve clearance issues, plus even if you could your performance gain would be minimal at best especially when you could buy a 360 for less than the cost of the heads, so it just doesn't make any sense to do it.
Cherokeester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
h20jeep,

Just courious...

Again, Thanks!
I it is my understanding that most everything will interchange between the engines with exception of Pistons (obvious different bore), harmonic balancer (different for each CuIn size engine), and some later model 360 exhaust manifold will not refit to the 304. If you stay with the 2bbl, the MC2150 must be a larger venturi than the 304. (304=1.08, 360= 1.2?)

BUT NOTE, I have never attempted to interchange the parts. so http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif I just do not know.

I do note that your desired edelbrock intake will fit both. However Cherokeester (the previous post (cool name))may hve some personal experience.

Specificity as to changing JUST the heads. Why would you want to?http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

unless the 360 has larger valves?? different compression?

I agree with Cherokeester, I would/will change the engine. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/image...ies/iagree.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.