Carb spacer need? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carb spacer need?

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Carb spacer need?

When I first bought my jeep, about 4 months ago, I took it to a mechanic because it was running very poorly. I don,t usually go to this shop but it was convenient and they could take it at the time. When I got it back, it was running better but not great. They told me the intake gasket was leaking, and wanted over $400.00 to fix it. I thought the price was excessive, plus I didn't trust them so I said I didn't have the money (which I didn't). When I got home I found the carb spacer along with some other parts that they had removed. I took for granted that they had removed it for a reason, and I put it in the basement. I never throw away parts like this. Anyway now I read that this part should not have been removed. That it was there to keep the carb cooler, and it helps atomize the fuel? Should I put it back on? What gaskets do I need, and can I just block the port?

carb-spacer.jpg  
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What carb are you running?

Please fill out your profile so we don't have to guess at your setup.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Sorry I thought I had updated. I have the stock 258 with a Motorcraft 2 barrel carb.
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

The spacer marked 289
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I don't use one with the MC2100 on my 4.2L. The adapter plate used to mount the MC isolates the carb more than the stock carb ever was and mine seems to run fine.

Maybe post up with what your jeep is doing and we can help isolate the issue. Typically, not having a spacer doesn't make a vehicle "run poorly". I'm guessing the issue is something else, although it could very well be fuel related.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

issues

Oh I've got lots of issues.....lots of issues. We are replacing the valve cover gasket Wednesday, clutch and throw out this weekend, intake gasket soon I hope. I start to sob when I think about the electrical system. She's got a beautiful body though and I love her.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Texian
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmutch View Post
Oh I've got lots of issues.....lots of issues. We are replacing the valve cover gasket Wednesday, clutch and throw out this weekend, intake gasket soon I hope. I start to sob when I think about the electrical system. She's got a beautiful body though and I love her.
Reminds me of a blonde girlfriend I had.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Lol, ok. What are the issues regarding the poor running that relate to this thread? Does it idle fine but bogs under throttle? Does it not idle but runs fine with your foot to the floor? Is the idle through the roof? Dead spot in acceleration? Dies on deceleration?

C'mon man, details!

Sounds like you have a place to start (the intake gasket). Confirm it's leaking (if you don't know how just ask) and replace if needed. Then if it still runs poorly you can move to the next step in diagnosis.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmutch View Post
When I got home I found the carb spacer along with some other parts that they had removed. I took for granted that they had removed it for a reason, and I put it in the basement. I never throw away parts like this. Anyway now I read that this part should not have been removed. That it was there to keep the carb cooler, and it helps atomize the fuel? Should I put it back on? What gaskets do I need, and can I just block the port?
In the past, I have removed the "spacer" for some reason or other, and used the below 1/4" thick mounting gasket.

I would ask them why they removed the spacer. Possibly chasing the mysterious vacuum leak and came up with the intake leaking, which is very possible and not unusual.

I think I paid $3.00 for this base gasket 10 years ago or so, and I have 6 or 7 left over in my garage.

Previous post suggest start at the manifold and end up at the carburetor looking for leaks.

Good Luck..

UPTILLNOW
444.8457-02-cropped-rsi.jpg

uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I had a spacer like that on an old 304. I think it ws a 1972. Anyways. It's been awhile but pretty sure the pcv plugs into that. Where is your pcv plumbed to now?
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Not needed. That spacer was stock with the older AMC V8's and never installed on a 258.
Furthermore you should have a similar spacer / adapter already, since the 2100/2150 carb you have was not designed to bolt to the 258 manifold. It's purpose is solely to mate the carb to manifold.

Only reason I could think it would be there is someone wanted it for a vac port. There are easier ways for an addition port, but who knows. Like someone else mentioned the shop likely took if off as a way to try to knock out a potential vac leak.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.