Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Carb Rebuild?

911 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been doing a lot of driving with the "new" jeep to try and see what issue it may have lurking under the surface. I have found and fixed a few, mostly had them fixed. I have 2 issues that have popped up lately.

1. I filled the tank the other day with 93 Octane. I waited until the fuel was as low as I was comfortable with, not knowing the gauge's accuracy too well yet. After that, I am having to crank it over and pump the gas about 6-8 times to get it to start. It spits and sputters a good bit, but it will smooth out after a few seconds usually. Once on the road, I will get a little hesitation, or a hiccup, while driving, but it seems okay for the most part. If I start it up again, I only have to bump the key.

2. At low speed, it will occasionally die. It happened yesterday when going through a sharp turn at low speed. Losing PS and PB in a turn is scary. Popping it in neutral and turning the key fires it right back up.

The shop where I took it after I got it said they thought this issue was related to the torque convertor not disengaging correctly when coming to a stop. They put in some BG Transmission cleaner/conditioner, and it seemed to fix it. It has still done it a few times since, so I am leaning away from the trans issue a bit.

Research looks like clogged pick ups and maybe a carb rebuild might fix both issues. It does not look too hard, even for a novice like me. What rebuild kit do you recommend, and should I do the choke, stepper, solenoid and all now, or just see how it goes with the rebuild?

If any of you have any other thoughts, I am open to try them first.

I replaced the fuel filter last night, and it is lined up correctly.

84 CJ7
Carter BBD
Automatic Trans

Thank you,
Bryan

See less See more
#2 ·
I had this happen to me two weeks ago. My carb is an Edelbrock 1406 and it showed similar symptoms. Stalling at low speeds. Anytime I let off the gas and the engine wasn't under a load it would die. Turning it would die. Power loss and it acted like it was misfiring. I did a complete rebuild, Chem dipped everything for a few hours, reassembled it and it runs like a champ now. I did notice however when I emptied the carb out some water came out along with the gasoline so there was that. I also noticed my floats were adjusted way out of factory specs so that could have been a contributing factor.

All in all a complete rebuild worked for me. It may solve your problems but it may not solve everything.

#4 ·
HI, The tq converter has NOTHING to do with the motor dying.... ( I hate shops that don't know what they are doing and just take your money).
Sounds more like carb related. Time for a carb rebuild. Is your carb air/fuel mixture adjusted properly? Is the curb idle at the proper rpm.. 750 rpm's for an automatic in "N".
good luck
tim

#7 ·
The shop where I took it is great. They were just putting out options for what it could be. Their advice was to drive it and let them know what happens, not tear it apart and throw money at it. The owner even calls to check up on me. The shop is a hobby business for them. They make a lot more money in their main jobs. It is actually nice to find folks who don't want in your pocket day one.

#6 ·
I decided to break out the old Hayne's manual last night and do a little review. I went to the section on idle adjustment and adjusted idle as directed for a Jeep with the BBD with the solenoid. Thankfully, my wife pulled up at the end, so she could drop it in D and hold the brake while I disconnected the solenoid and adjusted it. I have put a few miles on it, and it seems to be holding a high enough idle at stops and low speed to keep it running. We will see.

I am still a little stumped on the slow starts. I pulled the air cleaner and looked into the carb last night. There is no fuel bubbling out of the venturis. Could I still have an issue with clogged tubes?

I guess I need to check the fuel pump next?

My plan right now is to find a Carter to rebuild without pulling the one on there now. That way, I am not having it towed to a shop if I screw it up. I can always throw the somewhat functioning unit back on.

#8 ·
Whitehead- on a plane with super slow wifi, so I haven't read through the entire thread, but have you checked for leaks at the throttle shaft at the base of the carb? This will cause idle issues when coming to a stop. Spray a bit of carb cleaner around the throttle shaft and see if the idle jumps. This is a common problem with the BBD and can easily be fixed with new bushings )for us sickos that stick with the Carter.

#9 ·
I did that last night. I hit all around the base of the carb, but it didn't bog. I learned that lesson with my last CJ. I fought bad idle until the week I sold it. It ran better the last 5 days I had it than the previous years. Go figure.

Once it is up to temp, it will sit and idle in Park forever. It was just a problem under load at low speed. Maybe I have fixed it with the idle adjustment. I guess we will see.

Thanks.

#10 ·
Gotcha. I'd go ahead with the rebuild kit, and not worry about getting a spare carb. They are incredibly simple to rebuild; just lay it all out on a clean surface and take your time with disassembly/reassembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.