Carb ID and maintence - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carb ID and maintence

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand
I'll check it out. If you have a pic of the controller that would be great. If not ill search it. I don't know what i have. It is anew motor with rebuilt carb so don't know what was done.
I don't have any pics with me and I'm several hundred miles from my jeep and old parts or I'd help ya.

RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

So looks like I don't have the compute controlled carb? I have two plugs just hanging behind carb. See picture. Also took picture of back of carb. The ecu is under the passenger side dashboard right. That's it in the picture?

I have a MSD coil, don't know what the distributor is. It's blue, that's all I know about it.
It had a jasper motor put in it with a rebuild of the carb a few years ago, with not many miles on it. Is there anything that should be done since the carb is not computer controlled anymore, I guess this was a non computer controlled carb replacement since it does not have the plug outlets and stepper motor. Was there anything else the ecu was hooked up to or is it just a artifact now? Does that mean the TBI install will be easier?
image-1088182113.jpg   image-2229944846.jpg   image-3955737174.jpg   image-2426957400.jpg  
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

What is wrong? Or is everything running good and you are just worried?

This is your picture. In it that black aircleaner should go all the way down to the cork gasket. If its not you will have problems down the road.
image-614578434.jpg  
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
So looks like I don't have the compute controlled carb? I have two plugs just hanging behind carb. See picture. Also took picture of back of carb. The ecu is under the passenger side dashboard right. That's it in the picture?

I have a MSD coil, don't know what the distributor is. It's blue, that's all I know about it.
It had a jasper motor put in it with a rebuild of the carb a few years ago, with not many miles on it. Is there anything that should be done since the carb is not computer controlled anymore, I guess this was a non computer controlled carb replacement since it does not have the plug outlets and stepper motor. Was there anything else the ecu was hooked up to or is it just a artifact now? Does that mean the TBI install will be easier?
That is the ECM (what you're calling the ECU) in your pic behind the dash panel. That is replaced with a new one if you get the Howell kit (included in kit).

What you have going really won't affect the installation of the Howell kit, as all of this will be replaced. You would have to get a tach filter to use it with MSD coil, but this should be mentioned when ordering the Howell kit and they will build it into the wiring. I believe it will add $60 or so to the kit. If you do go the Howell route, make sure you mention this when ordering and you won't have to add it later.

Also, what others are saying about the air assembly being flush with the gasket is correct.

Personally, I'd spend a little time tuning up your carb now and see if that does the trick. However, this is the reason I went to the Howell setup eventually because I got sick of hard cold starts and having to adjust and tune it frequently.

The Howell installation can look pretty intimidating but it's really not that much of a pain in the a$$. Just need a little patience.

It sounds like you have the stock Duraspark distributor. Look into Jeephammer's "team rush" upgrade for more info on upgrading that. Pretty cheap upgrade and well worth it. Took me all of 20 minutes to do this one. Jeephammer's write-up is spotless.
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Also, you might just need a new fuel filter and a tune up all together. I'd check the plugs and make sure the fuel filter is aligned properly. The filter needs to be at the highest point with the return at the 12 o'clock position facing the carb.
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #21
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. nothing really wrong with the way it runs i guess. Just seems a little rough at idle when in gear, smooths out as soon as you hit the gas. not real rough, just a little bit of rattle through the jeep. it has stalled a few times idling, but not regularly. has stalled going up a steep incline a few times, when letting off the gas. Really just trying to learn about the jeep and carbed motors, since this is my first. It actually starts really good cold with the choke set. it starts good warm with no choke set. it did sit alot in the last year or more I think before I bought it, so it may just need a little tuning, new fuel filter or just running some fresh gas through it. I have only filled up 2 half tanks though in the almost month I have had it and it is only about half full again. I know fuel setting up can be hell on carbs.

I think in the picture I had not tightend the air cleaner back up yet after looking at the filter, but I'll check to be sure. thanks for pointing that out.

Any place to look at on the procedure to tune one of these things. Or is it something you need to have shown to you.

thank you any info to jumpstart my learning. I am slowing searching and learning more. It sure helps to have help to get pointed in the right direction when you dont have any prior knowledge. I know basic car maintenance stuff, but am trying to learn more of the detailed mechanic stuff
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the info. nothing really wrong with the way it runs i guess. Just seems a little rough at idle when in gear, smooths out as soon as you hit the gas. not real rough, just a little bit of rattle through the jeep. it has stalled a few times idling, but not regularly. has stalled going up a steep incline a few times, when letting off the gas. Really just trying to learn about the jeep and carbed motors, since this is my first. It actually starts really good cold with the choke set. it starts good warm with no choke set. it did sit alot in the last year or more I think before I bought it, so it may just need a little tuning, new fuel filter or just running some fresh gas through it. I have only filled up 2 half tanks though in the almost month I have had it and it is only about half full again. I know fuel setting up can be hell on carbs.

I think in the picture I had not tightend the air cleaner back up yet after looking at the filter, but I'll check to be sure. thanks for pointing that out.

Any place to look at on the procedure to tune one of these things. Or is it something you need to have shown to you.

thank you any info to jumpstart my learning. I am slowing searching and learning more. It sure helps to have help to get pointed in the right direction when you dont have any prior knowledge. I know basic car maintenance stuff, but am trying to learn more of the detailed mechanic stuff
No problem, man!

There's several threads I've seen on this forum on tuning carbs. First, ya need to figure out exactly what carb you've actually got on there. I'm sure with a little TLC she'll be running fine soon. I'd replace the fuel filter for sure and then start with the basics......plugs, wires, timing, air filter, rotor and cap, etc. Give her a tune up and see where she stands then.

Good luck!
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the help. Please see my new thread Motor part ID for more discuss on what I have on this motor. Thanks
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The box of tricks under the dash is the emissions computer, not the ignition module. There is a wire between them that you need to resplice.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand View Post

Yep, they call them "Repair Manuals", and they are very handy.

You should try one.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.