Carb ID and maintence - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carb ID and maintence

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Carb ID and maintence

Can y'all help me out. What carb do I have on this 258.
Also this is my first carbed vehicle. What kind of things need to be done to keep it running good and smooth. Starts and runs pretty good right now. Idles smooth until you put it in gear and then seems to idle a bit rough, jeep rattles a bit. Give it just a little gas and smooths out and runs smooth at speed. It sometimes will die if idling in gear for a few minutes. But starts right back up. Also seems to like to stall if in a steep incline. From what I read this seems to be a common problem. Is just a carb thing or a symptom of a problem that can be fixed. Not on incline for long and seems to start right back up and have no problem running after.

Thanks for any education.

image-3439402346.jpg   image-3419967006.jpg   image-1834592592.jpg   image-1453843486.jpg   image-3099301478.jpg  

image-4184778335.jpg  
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Carter bbd. Can be fixed with a good tebuild and a can of carb spray!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Your air filter housing should be all the way against the cork gasket.

With the white plastic bowl vent it looks like a china knock off of the carter BBD.

With the engine off slowly turn in each idle mixture screw below where the fuel line goes into the carb and count how many turns it takes until they are lightly seated against their stops. Then turn them back out to where they were. Both should be the same amount.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

All I read is about rebuilding these things. Do you no have to tune them every so often? Like making adjustments on idle screws and such?
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand
All I read is about rebuilding these things. Do you no have to tune them every so often? Like making adjustments on idle screws and such?
You will find numerous threads on this problematic carb. The thing is a pretty cranky POS. A lot of peeps ditch it for a Webber. I finally had enough of it and went with the Howell TBI kit. Runs like a dream now.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ

You will find numerous threads on this problematic carb. The thing is a pretty cranky POS. A lot of peeps ditch it for a Webber. I finally had enough of it and went with the Howell TBI kit. Runs like a dream now.
Ya I realize that. I will go TBI soon I hope. Wife hates the gas smell. Just got to get a few basic things in line on it before I blow more money on the new jeep.

I would like to install the Howell or similar myself but just don't know if I will have the time. Is there a lot of complicated changes to make or is it really just a bunch of work removing crap.

The carb still runs pretty good or good enough for now. Just wondering if you are supposed to tune these things. I don't know much about a carb, ESP bbd type. Just want to keep it running as well as possible until I make the change over
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

Ya I realize that. I will go TBI soon I hope. Wife hates the gas smell. Just got to get a few basic things in line on it before I blow more money on the new jeep.

I would like to install the Howell or similar myself but just don't know if I will have the time. Is there a lot of complicated changes to make or is it really just a bunch of work removing crap.

The carb still runs pretty good or good enough for now. Just wondering if you are supposed to tune these things. I don't know much about a carb, ESP bbd type. Just want to keep it running as well as possible until I make the change over
Yeah, I always had to tweak mine. Usually with the seasonal change. I never really had any issues with inclines though.

The Howell upgrade is not that complicated. Mostly you're removing the old system and bolting the new one on. There are several write ups that do a hell of a better job than the instructions that come with it. I used the Howell manual in conjunction with the other write ups and didn't have that much of a hard time with the conversion. It is one of the best choices I've ever made, IMOP.
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Tunig / cleaning it will help tremendously. MANY people hate these things however if yours has is ok, a rebuild with some new gaskets, resetting a couple of things by bending tabs etc is all it needs to work. I have had 3 and have NEVER had issues descrubed by the majority.

You need a $10 (or thereabouts) kit that has everything you need other than carb cleaner, a screwdriver and patience. A clean carter, a vacuum guage and functioning 'everything else' this 'POS' does the job flawlessly....
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Just checked and you have an 83, so you would originally have had a computer controlled carb. You might look into the nutter bypass, if it hasn't been done yet. Just another option for ya....
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. I guess the little I read on the Howell kit gives me some pause because you seem to have to " figure" some things out.
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ
Just checked and you have an 83, so you would originally have had a computer controlled carb. You might look into the nutter bypass, if it hasn't been done yet. Just another option for ya....
I have an 86
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I have an 86
Oops! Even better! That's what I have as well
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I dont see the controller on the back of the carb. Is there one? If not this is a pre computer carb
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2
I dont see the controller on the back of the carb. Is there one? If not this is a pre computer carb
The computer will be behind your dash panel (inside cab) and on top of your heater.

Edit: I was looking for that too, but I did see a bunch of wires in that area.....
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

I'll check it out. If you have a pic of the controller that would be great. If not ill search it. I don't know what i have. It is anew motor with rebuilt carb so don't know what was done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.