Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Carb Float?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  pcg7384 
#1 ·
1981, I-6, 258, rebuilt Carter BBD, Team Rush, Aux Grounds.

My question is when the beast is warmed up ~15 min of driving it will idle so smooth I can't even tell it's on. At a stop, it will idle fine for about 20 seconds then start to chug pretty bad. It will fix itself and start idling normal, but seems to me it's a rich fuel issue. Does this sound right?

When I rebuilt the carb I stupidly messed with the floats. I've since gone back in and "fixed" them but I'm getting this issue. Could they be too high still and letting fuel leak into the carb when the bowl fills up at a stop? I tried to screw in the float needle a little to try and push the floats down, but it is still acting up...

#6 ·
So...
I would check to see if you have a fuel pressure problem.
Either high or low when it 'Chugs'...
After driving a while, there might be an 'Issue' with fuel pump, fuel pressure control (pump bypass valve) ect.

Blocked passage lines or crud in the float bowl will cause the same 'Issues'...

Chokes down until it starts drawing off the transfer/main jets, but that is unlikely since it idles quite well otherwise.

I would suspect the ignition module also in a situation like this...

#7 ·
Just because it is suspect, I would check the float first.

How old is the gas filter and is it right side up with the return line off the top of it?

#8 ·
New filter when I kitted the carb. The return line is on top. I jacked the floats pretty good, is it possible that I have one a little higher than the other and get this random issue? I really don't want to take the carb off...again. I did buy a new float set (brass) at napa when I started having these issues. If I take the float off, I will definitely replace the float set. I'll keep everyone posted. Don't think it's the module. I just replaced that as well.

#9 ·
I tried to screw in the float needle a little to try and push the floats down, but it is still acting up...
...is your reference to the Fuel Inlet / Needle seat assembly?

It should first be tight and then bend the adjustment lever of the float to allow 1/4" clearance between the top of the float and the top surface of the main body.

Often one may turn this inward when attaching the fuel line into it. Once set always use two wrenches when installing the line.

#10 ·
The floats can be 'just' at the edge of overflowing when the jeep is perfectly level. If the jeep isn't perfectly level, then they can be just past the point of overflow.

You can leave the carb in place and just take it down from the top to reset the float. Be sure the hinge pin is held all the way down when doing this and then lift up on the adjuster arm. I use a flat edge across the float bowl with a 1/4" spacer taped onto it when setting them this way.

#11 ·
Ok, I'm an idiot. I finally took the carb off again and discovered that I put the float needle in backwards. That was causing too much gas to get into the floats, etc...Seems to have fixed the problem. One more things to put in the bag of tricks for rebuilding the carb. My original needle wasn't two pieces, thus the confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.