Carb Confusion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Carb Confusion?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

Carb Confusion?

Sorry to post on a topic that shows up so often but I didn't want to butt in on someone else's thread. I've read all the other posts dealing with the BBD, Motorcraft, and Weber carbs. I've gotten lots of good info but still have some questions.

I have the BBD on a 258 and from what I can tell, it's days are numbered. It starts hard and when running, blows white smoke out the back and STINKS real bad. I've thought about rebuilding it but I was told that it would be "like polishing a turd".

Here's where my confusion starts.

I was interested in doing the Motorcraft conversion. The price looks alot better than the Weber, and another BBD doesn't seem like a step forward. I was talking to a guy last night that said the Motorcraft out performs the Weber and is an easy conversion to make. He also said that the MC would pass the TX emissions test if the EGR and PCV are hooked up. I researched it last night and the conversion is a little more than he said. Looks like an adapter is needed and I'll have to fab a new throttle linkage. I also couldn't tell if the 2100 or 2150 worked better on the 258. Everything I read mentioned the 258 and the 2100, but then it would refer to the 304.

I quess what all this babbling means is: Can the MC be installed fairly easily, does it perform well on the 258 and which one, the 2100 or 2150. Also, can it pass emissions or is my friend on crack. Thanks for any advice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.