Captured Nut Repair- Frame - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Captured Nut Repair- Frame

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
mtnbikeidaho
1982 CJ7 

I used a variation of a nutsert called a weld-nut from McMaster-Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=e6c3n7

The 1/2" round-base fits right in the original frame hole and provides a 1"+ diameter integral washer to weld to the frame. The new 1/2 bolts would be stronger than stock, too. If you have to re-do, you can grind the welds off and put in another. (Preheating the frame with a MAPP torch helps tremendously with the welding of the different thicknesses - ask me how I know!)

The drawback is the nuts are no longer flush, so I had to shim my crossmember plate with washers on the ones that were still good. Turned out great.

Also, the strength difference in E70 (70ksi) weld vs. mild steel (A36) means you only have to get good penetration on "some" of it for it to stick. (1/8" fillet weld is good for 1600-1800# per inch of weld). Skerr's fix method will hold up forever unless you are a REALLY bad welder...

mtnbikeidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Scott something else that needs to be mentioned on this type of repair is making sure the welds penetrate almost completely through the frame. Here's why. The welds need to be ground flat with the bottom of the frame and if the welds don't have proper penetration they may not be strong enough to keep the weight of the transfer case/tranny from pulling the nuts out of the frame. After all they have quite a bity of weight to hold up. A good way to help out here is to grind the outside edges of the nut with a bevel. That way you have more weld in the area around the nut.
What Jim says, is why I didn't mention this in the other thread, I didn't know how thick your frame was, and not much room to weld to on the nut. On the plus side, with 6 bolts holding things up, and approximately 300 pounds total. ( my wag) Its only 50 per bolt.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Great write up.

I had a few bolts twist off or strip out over time. My solution was to drill and tap some 1" wide, 1/2" thick flat bar about 2" long. I got rid of the nut in the frame with a 1" hole saw. I then drilled two 1/2" holes about a 1/2" to either side of the nut hole. I fished the flat bar down in to the frame from one of the many factory holes. Once I got the flat bar into place, I welded around the hole and the two plug welds. Ground it all smooth and painted.

By the way, a wire snake works great for this!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #19
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikeidaho View Post
I used a variation of a nutsert called a weld-nut from McMaster-Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=e6c3n7

The 1/2" round-base fits right in the original frame hole and provides a 1"+ diameter integral washer to weld to the frame. The new 1/2 bolts would be stronger than stock, too. If you have to re-do, you can grind the welds off and put in another. (Preheating the frame with a MAPP torch helps tremendously with the welding of the different thicknesses - ask me how I know!)

The drawback is the nuts are no longer flush, so I had to shim my crossmember plate with washers on the ones that were still good. Turned out great.

Also, the strength difference in E70 (70ksi) weld vs. mild steel (A36) means you only have to get good penetration on "some" of it for it to stick. (1/8" fillet weld is good for 1600-1800# per inch of weld). Skerr's fix method will hold up forever unless you are a REALLY bad welder...
Sounds like a good fix. How thick is weldable flange on the nutsert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
What Jim says, is why I didn't mention this in the other thread, I didn't know how thick your frame was, and not much room to weld to on the nut. On the plus side, with 6 bolts holding things up, and approximately 300 pounds total. ( my wag) Its only 50 per bolt.

Bill
Jim's point is a good one. You would definitely have to make good welds. One could leave the nut slightly protruding and weld it in. It would be easier to do, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Great write up.

I had a few bolts twist off or strip out over time. My solution was to drill and tap some 1" wide, 1/2" thick flat bar about 2" long. I got rid of the nut in the frame with a 1" hole saw. I then drilled two 1/2" holes about a 1/2" to either side of the nut hole. I fished the flat bar down in to the frame from one of the many factory holes. Once I got the flat bar into place, I welded around the hole and the two plug welds. Ground it all smooth and painted.

By the way, a wire snake works great for this!
This also sounds like a good fix. Lots of variations I hadn't thought of...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
mtnbikeidaho
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Sounds like a good fix. How thick is weldable flange on the nutsert?
It's about this thick: 3/32" to 1/8" for the 1/2"-13 size
100_1975sm.jpg   100_1974sm.jpg  
mtnbikeidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #21
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Great write up!! I used this this afternoon with one addition. I drilled some holes around the nut to increase the weld strength. Just don't do what I did, you can kinda see in the second picture where I got a little hammer happy and bent the frame inwards. oops

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
Great write up!! I used this this afternoon with one addition. I drilled some holes around the nut to increase the weld strength. Just don't do what I did, you can kinda see in the second picture where I got a little hammer happy and bent the frame inwards. oops

Beautiful job, Jered! Thanks for posting that up. And good idea about the additional holes.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Nice post, I might have to do this.

I broke this nut off when removing the power steering gear box.

I have not gotten back to it yet to try and remove it.

I have been soaking it with PB Blaster.

This weekend I will hit the frame around it with some heat and then water to try an break the rust, and then cross my fingers and try and turn it out with vise grips. If that does not work I will grind it flush and drill and tap. If that doesn't work I will use your method.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I know a guy that just got a piece of 1/2" x 1 1/2" flat stock, drilled and tapped holes in it and welded it to the bottom of the frame. Worked out fine for him since he had his skid plate shimmed down anyway to correct U joint angles.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #25
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I know a guy that just got a piece of 1/2" x 1 1/2" flat stock, drilled and tapped holes in it and welded it to the bottom of the frame. Worked out fine for him since he had his skid plate shimmed down anyway to correct U joint angles.
Bob, that makes perfect sense and would probably have been a smart fix in my case... but I thought of it after the fact. I'm slow that way! You should have told me before I had to do it!!

Unread 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I'm slow that way! You should have told me before I had to do it!!
Don't feel bad. I stripped out 2 nuts on my skidplate last year, and my solution was to drill them out, and then drill a matching hole on the TOP of the frame.

So I then use a huge bolt (6"?) that goes completely through the frame, so I can use a nut on the top.

It occurred to me that this is going to stress the frame in weird ways, and its going to make any crack bigger..... but reading this thread makes me realize I should have welded in a new nut. That weldable nutsert looks like the easiest way?
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #27
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
Don't feel bad. I stripped out 2 nuts on my skidplate last year, and my solution was to drill them out, and then drill a matching hole on the TOP of the frame.

So I then use a huge bolt (6"?) that goes completely through the frame, so I can use a nut on the top.

It occurred to me that this is going to stress the frame in weird ways, and its going to make any crack bigger..... but reading this thread makes me realize I should have welded in a new nut. That weldable nutsert looks like the easiest way?
I have to agree the nutsert looks like a mightly convenient way to fix it. It's not too late for you to make that repair!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.