Cant Remove Body Mount Bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cant Remove Body Mount Bolts

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Cowtown76CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Cant Remove Body Mount Bolts

All of the nuts that are supposed to be connected to the frame are breaking off before I can loosen the bolts. Will I have any major issues if I just cut the bolts?

Unread 07-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
tonsoffun_77
1977 CJ5 

might try some pb blaster to spray on them...might help
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown76CJ5 View Post
All of the nuts that are supposed to be connected to the frame are breaking off before I can loosen the bolts. Will I have any major issues if I just cut the bolts?
They're breaking off? Are they spinning in the body?

They're not really nuts, just 1" squares of steel that are drilled and tapped.

Are you going to just replace the body mounts? If you're going to have the body off for a while, you can cut the bolts if you're willing to cut the body open to remove the old "nuts" and replace them.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Cowtown76CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Yea, they are spinning in the body. The body is coming off to try and replace the front crossmember. Every time I remove a part from under the tub, I get a hand full of beach sand. Once I get the body off, I will decide if it is worth repairing. To replace the old nuts, do I just weld in new (actual) nuts?
Unread 07-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
smokedog
1984 CJ7 

Having same problem and we decided to flip tub on it's side. Leave the bolt in and clean area around the base. Next hold bolt with channel locks and center it while pulling it firmly towards you. Next weld it tight. Now you can remove the bolt and you didn't have to cut into the channels under your tub. Hope this helps.

84' CJ7 Renegade - Tungsten grey metallic paint, 388ci Chevy, 700r4, D300, SOA lift with YJ springs, 1" body lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Currie Rock Crawler Shackles, Trussed Ford 9 Rear w/ 4:56 gears, Detroit lockers, Dana 44 front, full poison spyder cage and lots of chrome and stainless.
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.