This can't be normal, right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > This can't be normal, right?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

This can't be normal, right?

Hello all,

I am new to JF and very new to owning a Jeep. I purchased an 83 CJ7 in December. I do not know a ton about cars but am willing to get in and figure things out if I have a little bit of direction. I know you guys will ask me to fill out the info about my CJ but I am unsure how to tell what I have. PO basically took my $1000 and handed me the keys and tittle.

The issue I have is that it is a little rough to start in the mornings. My initial thought is that it's not a huge deal since it's 30 years old, but my issue is the black specks all over the floor near the exhaust. I let her warm up for about 10 minutes in the morning and when I am ready to drive off there is quite the spray of black specs coming out of the exhaust. This pic will hopefully show what I am talking about

pagnani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

My guess (and I am not a guru, just an amateur) is that the specs are oil.

Seems like it may be worn rings (piston rings) allowing oil to blow by and exit through the valves
and then the exhaust.

I'm sure more seasoned individuals will give you additional info.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
It's a Jeep thing, I don't even understand it sometimes.
1981 CJ-7, AMC 360 bored .30 over, Edelbrock Intake, Edelbrock Cam, Edelbrock Double Roller Timing Chain, Holly 650 truck avenger carb, Flowcooler water pump. '97 Dodge 4wd Std NV4500. D300 Twin Sticked. Corbeau Seats, Custom Dash with Autometer guages, Electronic Speedo, all stainless hardware, Outlaw II Wheels, BFG AT 33" Tires, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, AGR steering box, Borgeson steering shaft, ididit tilt column, Mean Green Starter, Tuffy console, poly gas tank, handmade rear bumper, cheap radio and speakers.

2000 XJ - HO 4.0L, 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. PSC gearbox. IRO Double Shear Trackbar. New headliner. IRO Hack & Tap SYE. IRO adjustable UCA & LCA, RE 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disconnects. Future mod: OTK steering, lockers, FIPK, rock sliders, JCR Bumpers, rear storage, high pinion rear (3.55), frame reinforcement, hood louvers, rack lighting.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

An entirely new exhaust system will take care of that, until the carbon builds up in the new pipes. Seriously, as you live in Utah, where it is probably freezing at night and warmer in the day, condensation will form in the pipes and soften the built up carbon in the pipes and then be blown out when the engine is started. The hard starting could be a number of things. I would start with ensuring the choke is working properly.
Oh, Welcome to the Forum!
Dngrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Does it eventually dry? If it does, my guess is that the Jeep is running rich and the black fuel smoke is mixing with the condensation.

Normal? As in do a lot of Jeeps do this? Yes. Should they? No, not really. There could be all kinds of reasons why the Jeep is running rich, from just a badly tuned carb to compensating for a lousy choke to something more serious.

Welcome to the monkeyhouse, by the way. Post up in your profile what you do know. As you read more you will learn how to figure out some of the blanks and can update as you go.

In the meantime, check your oil consumption and you might want to do a compression check. The numbers should be within about 10% of each other down the cylinders.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
The issue I have is that it is a little rough to start in the mornings.
Can you provide specific details about the hard starting and what specifically you're having to do to get it running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
..when I am ready to drive off there is quite the spray of black specs coming out of the exhaust.
Postion a paper towel over the exhaust pipe to catch the black specs. Once the towel is really dirty, put it in a bucket of clean water and squeeze it out and see if any oil floats to the surface after the water settles.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Postion a paper towel over the exhaust pipe to catch the black specs. Once the towel is really dirty, put it in a bucket of clean water and squeeze it out and see if any oil floats to the surface after the water settles.
x2
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
DaddysCJ

Mine does the same thing. If you'll look in the "new guy" post I just submitted, you can see the black infront of LR tire. Thats were my pipes dump. Mine has gutted glasspacks on it I think that will be replaced soon. (way too loud for my wife) I hope its the exhaust system like 1979CJ said.
DaddysCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Hard to start

Basically with any older car, I assume there is a ritual. Turn key to on, pump gas a time or two, try to start, after 5 seconds let off, wait a second or two, pump again then try to start. This goes on for about 30 seconds, depending on how cold it is.

I did change the oil, cleaned the air filter, as far as carbs go, I have no idea how to adjust them. I will upload a picture after lunch so you can see what I have. I know it's aftermarket.
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Welcome aboard.
Provo Utah ,IRS capital of the world.
Like said fill out the profile and tell what kind of carb you have or description. 6 or 8. and the members will get you going and steer you in the right direction
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

Mine does the same thing, just condensation sling with maybe a tad bit rich on the choke, no big worries in my op
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

install a new set of autolite plugs

hard start issue: Fuel Filter
fuel filter must be positioned with one pipe in and two out (the outside out pipe must be positioned on top as it goes to the vac canister, the center out pipe goes to the carb.

if the fuel filter is not positioned in this manner, when you stop the engine the fuel can be syphoned out of the carb and back into the fuel tank,
this will cause you a slow hard start next time, as your fuel pump must replace all the fuel that flowed back to carb before jeep will start..

check position of fuel filter and let us know what you find!!!!!!!

at night in a very dark place open the hood with motor running and look at your sparkplug wires, do you see any fire, if so you need new wires.

all these little things add up to slow starts, poor mpg and performance.

what type air filter and what is its condition?

if you have any doubt about the air filter, get a new one, pvc valve and fuel filter.

battery must also be in top conditon to spin the old jeep,

send us a few pictures of your new toy!!
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

First.....Welcome to the Jeep Forum and the CJ family, tons of good stuff here for your new rig.

A couple of pics of your engine, one from either side, would be helpful. Your cold starting issue could be something as simple as a fuel filter not clock properly and draining the carb bowl of fuel.

Good Luck.........
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.