can't get intake manifold to bolt on?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > can't get intake manifold to bolt on??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Jarratt

can't get intake manifold to bolt on??

I have a 1978 cj7 with a 258 4.2 I recently bought a stock intake manifold for it and now i am having a problem installing it. i also had purchased an entire bolt kit for the motor, well the intake bolts dont seem to work with the intake i have. there are no holes for the bolts to go through, there is a lip on the side of the manifold almost as if the bolt head is supposed to catch this lip. i also have headers not the exhaust manifold i have read something to the affect of the 2 manifolds bolting together?? i have been thinking about making a bracket to go all the way across the manifold with places to have the bolts go through? Im in the dark...any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

p.s. if an aftermarket manifold will help me could anyone give me the link to where i could buy one

Last edited by Jarratt; 06-13-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Jarratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Pictures would help. I'm not sure which of the manifold combinations you have. There are some different setups for the different years and the parts can't be mixed and matched.

Each bolt should have a thick "washer" to hold the edge of the intake and exhaust flanges. The bolts go between the manifolds and the washer holds both manifolds.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, pictures would help. Going from the factory exhaust manifold to headers will in effect cause alignment issues where the thickness of the header flange will not match that of the OEM intake manifold. Early CJ's had an exhaust manifold gasket and intake manifold gasket on the 232 and 258 engines so the the thickness cast flanges would match. 1982 and later engines did not have and exhaust gasket to mount the exhaust manifold to the head but the intake manifold did. AMC/Jeep used "bell" shaped washers under the nuts to secure the manifolds to the head. The bell shaped washers allowed irregular surface heights between the two manifolds seal better.

Try to get your header to match the surface of the intake manifold so the washer and nut will be flat when tightened. You can use a bolt and thick washer in place of the OEM studs too.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Jarratt

thanks guys that does help, if the manifolds are used to help eachother stay on thats my problem the headers bolt up tight to the head and the intake is about 2 inches out. i will try to get some pics as soon as i can.
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
alljagged24
1985 CJ7 

2 inches ????????????????? Make sure the dowel or alignpins are lined up on the bottom......... I used grade 8 bolts when I did mine last week, I used a lock washed and 3 flat washers 2 of the flat washers on the bolts are ground almost in half , I left just enough metal so that the washers wouldn't fall off which your washers end up looking like a " C " If that makes sense,it took about an hour and a little patience and wurned out amazing with a lil precision grinding......................put four washers at a time in visegrips and gring away ,test fit and try again!!!
alljagged24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Jarratt

on the link below....this is the exact manifold i have, despite the problems the other person is having in this blog, the way he has his bolts with the washers on them grabbing the intake is how i was going to install my intake. is that acceptable or should i get the manifold that matches flush with the header bolts. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wt...n-prob-346492/

Last edited by Jarratt; 06-14-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Jarratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljagged24 View Post
I used a lock washed and 3 flat washers 2 of the flat washers on the bolts are ground almost in half , I left just enough metal so that the washers wouldn't fall off which your washers end up looking like a " C• " If that makes sense,it took about an hour and a little patience and wurned out amazing with a lil precision grinding......................put four washers at a time in visegrips and gring away ,test fit and try again!!!
yeah thats what i had done just wasn't sure if that was enough to get a good seal on the manifold without having a leak somewhere. i meant 2 inches out is where the bolt head would go tight to intake... sorry. its looks just like picture in the link i put up
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Jarratt

keith460, any idea where i can get an intake like in your picture?
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarratt View Post
keith460, any idea where i can get an intake like in your picture?
That link you posted with the intake is not something I would want to install with the headers. On the same link, you can see the header is ideal for later model intake manifolds as the thickness of the flange would match 1981, I'm guessing here, and later exhaust manifolds. I can't think of any conceivable way that you could successfully mount that type of intake manifold that is designed to be used strictly with the OEM exhaust manifold that is was paired with. Exhaust and vacuum leaks would plague you to no end.

Stacking washer is also not a good way to attach manifolds and would steer away from any suggestions to do so. If you can't find the OEM type "bell" shaped washers, you can purchase what I bought from McMaster-Carr in thick stainless steel washers but both the intake and exhaust manifold mounting surface must match closely in order to use. The thick washers will not bend or distort nor will they corrode since they are stainless. The McMaster-Carr part number is: 98125A031 and they can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#98125a031/=4wl7ft. They are called Fixuring Washers and I use them on my setup.

As far as getting a later type intake manifold, the usual spots should yield something. Craigslist, e-Bay, classifieds here and also at JeepsUnlimited.com

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Jarratt

ok thanks so much for your input i really appreciate it, after doing a ton of research i believe the best thing for me to do is suck it up and just get the aftermarket intake and put it on... and you said it the vaccum leaks are already putting a hurtin on me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.