Can't find an oil pan for Buick 231? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can't find an oil pan for Buick 231?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Zech
1974 CJ5 

Can't find an oil pan for Buick 231?

I have a Buick 231 in my 1974 CJ5. The motor had low oil pressure when I bought it so I pulled the pan to check the oil pickup. I noticed the pan had welds around it and the pickup had a circular weld around it too. Thought that was weird. The pickup was clogged after sitting for 15yrs. I pulled it and got a replacement and noticed the angle was different. Well the pan has the sump moved to the other side and I think they cut the old pickup and angled it to match the sump. I can't get the pan back on with the new pickup sitting in the shallow side of the pan. I cannot find a pan for this engine anywhere. Its a basic 14 bolt pan that seems common for the era but no one carries one. Got the only one I could find on ebay and he mislabeled it and it was for a v8 and had to be returned. I am stuck and my project is kind of at a stand still. With the numbers on the block I figured it came from a 1979 Buick Skylark. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Zech

Zech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Zech
1974 CJ5 

Would there be any problems with just taking a hammer and beating the pan out a little so the pick up fits? It is just a tad to short.
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

TA Performance Products still lists a chrome stock configuration 14-bolt Buick V6 oil pan on their website at http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...prod=TA_V1511A I was into Buick V6s quite heavily about 20 years ago and Kenne-Bell was the big supplier at that time. Unfortunately, the KB website doesn't seem to list any Buick V6 stuff currently.

Hope this Helps,

'97 XJ Sport - New life after engine swap, '93 4.0L w/'97 OBD-II/AW4/NP231/D35(ABS)
Ed Rico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

How about this one at Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn.../submodel/base
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That Summit oil pan is for a SBC and won't fit a Buick V6. The Dorman oil pans listed on Summit's website for V6 applications are all for transverse FWD cars and won't work for a longitudinally mounted engine.

'97 XJ Sport - New life after engine swap, '93 4.0L w/'97 OBD-II/AW4/NP231/D35(ABS)
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Zech
1974 CJ5 

Holy crap! That's it! Thanks Ed Rico. Ive been bangin my head against the wall over this for 2months now with the motor sitting opened up in the garage. Thank you so much. I should have started here from the beginning.
Zech
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No problem. You really do want the correct matching oil pump pickup and pan/sump configuration to avoid any problems with the pickup becoming uncovered during cornering/braking. I don't know if the chrome oil pan will make your Jeep any faster, but it can't hurt.

Unread 12-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Sorry about my post I should have read a little closer. Is this the same one not chromed? http://www.jcwhitney.com/1977-1979-b...77-1979j1.jcwx
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor View Post
Sorry about my post I should have read a little closer. Is this the same one not chromed? http://www.jcwhitney.com/1977-1979-b...77-1979j1.jcwx
No, that also looks like a SBC oil pan. It definitely won't work on a Buick V6.

Unread 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

It's funny, if you look at the first pictures it looks similar, then you look at the 2 pics below and it's a completely different pan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.