Can't figure out poor turning radius issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can't figure out poor turning radius issue

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The damper isn't the problem,it's nowhere near at the end of it's stroke. You can see the oil line on the shaft where it stops.

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Grims
1983 CJ7 

Yeh, I personally don't think it is either...looks like it had plenty of travel to me...but I'll check it to be sure in a bit. If it's not it though...what the heck else would it be?
Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Get rid of the drop pittman arm and go back to stock. I flipped my drag link specifically for this reason and it worked. I am running a stock pittman arm and 35's and have my full turning radius back - I love it.
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Grims
1983 CJ7 

I have no problem trying that...but my pitman arm is the stock 6.5" length when measured in a straight line center bolt to bolt. I don't see how the stock one could improve anything?
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
I have no problem trying that...but my pitman arm is the stock 6.5" length when measured in a straight line center bolt to bolt. I don't see how the stock one could improve anything?
I never measured my pittman are so I cant speak to lengths but before I installed my lift years ago my jeep would turn on a dime. After I installed my lift I changed out my stock pittman are for a dropped arm to get my steering geometry back in order and I lost a lot of my turning radius. When I learned of the drag link flip I saw that it wold allow me to go back to my stock arm so I did the flip and went back to the stock arm. After having done this my turning radius is back as well. One of the best mods I've done to my lifted CJ so far.
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #21
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
Some of the dropped arms are the same length. Mine is the same as stock also. In fact it was within 1/4" of hitting the tie rod. When I upgraded to a HD tie rod and drag link, I had to move my steering box forward so it wouldn't hit the tie rod.

I can turn my tires within 1" of the springs with a dropped pitman arm. Any more turning wouldn't do me any good anyhow.
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
The damper isn't the problem,it's nowhere near at the end of it's stroke. You can see the oil line on the shaft where it stops.
The damper arcs as it extends.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Grims,

You said you aren't reaching the stops at full lock. That leads me back to the steering box.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Grims
1983 CJ7 

I tried loosening up the dampener, no luck.

Here are some pictures at full lock.

Unread 10-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

What puzzles me is that it turns evenly in each direction.

I'm curious to see the location of the pitman arm with the wheels straight ahead, fully left, and fully right. As in how far it moves until it reaches it's limit.
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Deeznutz73
1973 CJ5 

Pretty sure your pitman arm isnt getting enough throw or your steering box is geared wrong for the jeep. See of you can find any numbers on the box and post/ Google them.
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #27
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

In the bottom pics it looks like the drivers side tire has a greater turning angle than the passenger tire. Maybe it's just the pic, I dunno.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

If your drag link is flipped there is really no need for a dropped pittman arm. I'd swap it for a stock arm for sure. Pretty easy to recoup the cost selling the drop arm. It certainly can't hurt anything.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.