Canoe Rack for CJ5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Canoe Rack for CJ5?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Canoe Rack for CJ5?

I've been trying to decide the best route to go for a canoe rack. There doesn't seem to be many options for the CJ5. I'm thinking about the Lange front rack and a Thule Goalpost for the back. But I have just found a rack I really like and thought I saved a link for it but can't find it.
Does anyone know who makes the rack that has side bars that have like a v indention about midway back? I suppose it gives it extra strength. The front attaches to the windshield mounts, and I'm not sure how the back mounts.

Unread 11-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Nevermind, I found it! It is the Congo Cage Rack Mount made by Kargo Master.
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbyron1 View Post
Nevermind, I found it! It is the Congo Cage Rack Mount made by Kargo Master.
Friend of mine has that one and has no complaints.

I intend to get one myself, but have MANY other things to do to the CJ before I have to worry about carrying anything on it... lol
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme

Friend of mine has that one and has no complaints.

I intend to get one myself, but have MANY other things to do to the CJ before I have to worry about carrying anything on it... lol
Tell me about it. Mine is getting a new engine and transmission this weekend! I found a deal I couldn't refuse. Engine/tranny complete with carb, fuel pump, starter, distributor, water pump, etc. one owner. Only taken out to put a cobra engine in! $220
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

I went with an Olympic light bar in the front and a removable custom Tee bar made from 1.5" square tube tagged onto a custom tire carrier in the rear with Thule bar mount pads. Ok it's a 7 not a 5. Over 6,000 miles so far without a problem. Mostly towing to FL.
img_7572.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Here's the Conga Cage Rack Mount I went with. I love it. It has the look similar to a roll cage, but it of course is not. It is rated to hold 500lbs as is.

image-3019420542.jpg

image-1550316387.jpg
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Those lumps look strange, like an afterthought to clear the top's bow. I would think something that secured to the bumper would be better, too. Those (3) 1/4" bolts from the taillights aren't meant to hold a lot.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

There is a fourth bolt that goes through the body and is secured with a nut. I don't see it (the hump) as an after thought myself, but a design that keeps from having the entire rack higher. It is rated for 500lbs. It also feels very solid. At any rate, I like the way it looks, which is the reason I went with this one instead of two others I looked at. I'm having it customized to hold two Jerry cans in a week or so. I can't wait to see that!
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

I thought about having something custom made that would attach to the bumper. I decided the risers would just be in the way. They would also have to be set in so as to not block the tail lights. I think for my use (canoe hauling/Jerry can mounting) this design fits the bill just fine.
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Here it is with my canoe loaded. It fits perfectly between the two rails. I couldn't be happier :-)
001.jpg   002.jpg   004.jpg  
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
grevas

Hi, According to Kargo Master website, the racks are for CJ7. I am curious what you did, if anything, to make the Congo Cage to fit on the CJ5? Thank you, Grevas
grevas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
zillla
1975 CJ5 

I built my own. Out of square tube, and I made it removeable. Bolts to the bumper in front and has a slip fit in the back. I also use rubber bungie cords over the top . One I saw similar to this had a piece of pipe in the rear on a bearing, so you [one person] could set the back up on the mount and walk it around to the front as the rear rotated.

Unread 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevas View Post
Hi, According to Kargo Master website, the racks are for CJ7. I am curious what you did, if anything, to make the Congo Cage to fit on the CJ5? Thank you, Grevas
+2 on this. There are so few racks for the 5. Did you modify it yourself? Or is it like something on Kargo Master's hidden menu?

There's the Warrior Products Safari Water Craft Rack which doesn't have fore-n-aft tubing to connect the front and rear hoops so tub length isn't an issue. Also sold as being for the 7, but I figure it could be modified (if necessary) for a 5.
Unread 06-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevas
I had 10 inches cut off the rails that run fore and aft. We had to hold the hump in the rails over the tension bar for the jeep top, then measure how much to take off each end of the rails. You have to use the ends since they are smaller than the rest of the tubes. The smaller ends bolt into pieces that are on the uprights. So you have to figure out how much you need to shorten them on each end, cut off the mounting section, remove how much you need to of the bigger tube section, then weld the mounting ends back on. Hope this helps. Byron
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #15
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7ole
I went with an Olympic light bar in the front and a removable custom Tee bar made from 1.5" square tube tagged onto a custom tire carrier in the rear with Thule bar mount pads. Ok it's a 7 not a 5. Over 6,000 miles so far without a problem. Mostly towing to FL.
Would that setup work with the hard top on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.