Cannot identify year of my jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cannot identify year of my jeep

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

Cannot identify year of my jeep

imgur photo album for pictures to my description below: http://imgur.com/a/CHaE0

I recently purchased an old jeep from someone, it was just sitting in his woods rotting out. I've managed, through extensive google searching and some guessing, to figure out that it might be early 60s. However, I'm not sure.

The engine block number I have is 807895, with a long space, and then the number 16. I know that this engine block was produced from 56ish to 74ish, and I believe it is original, but I'm not entirely positive.

On the inside of the hood/engine section, on the driver side, I have a sticker that says 'Jeep 8305 181285, Jeep corporation, toledo ohio'. All my searching through VIN's has produced exactly zero matches, especially since there are no letters, which all the others had.

On the inside of the hood/engine, there is a small sticker that simply says '225 (long space) 261' I believe.

The headlights are slightly bubbled out, and there are 6 spokes on the front grill. The 'clicker' lights are directly below the headlights. There is only one side mirror, which is on the drivers side, and it does not appear as if another even belonged on the passenger side. It is a 3spd transmission, and has a H/L stick, as well as what appears to be a 2w/4w stick. I do not believe the roll bar is original. The gas tank is under the drivers seat. The windshield is a single pane, with the wipers on the top.

I hope that is descriptive enough that my question can be answered. Thank you for any help!

I uploaded all the photo's to imgur and posted them all in a single album, the link is at the top.

linkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

1958 cj5

The block casting number is the same block used from 1950-1971.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

What a great project!! Thanks for saving that old 5. Here is a link that might provide the help you need decoding your VIN. Good luck, and Welcome to the Forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...ecoder-508783/

Edit* '82 beat me to it!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The guys on here will point enough details to tell exactly what year it is, where it was made, and what color socks the guy that assembled it was wearing.

Great job saving one from dying a slow death alone in a field somewhere. Welcome to the club.
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The guy was wearing white tube socks with blue stripes around the top....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
The guy was wearing white tube socks with blue stripes around the top....
nuh-uh... you're wrong about that one. He had on black socks and heavy black-framed glasses.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Oh wait, that was Tuesday... I was thinking it was built on Thursday..

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
josh97
1986 CJ7 

Well if it was built on a mon or a fri u dont want it! lol
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh97 View Post
Well if it was built on a mon or a fri u dont want it! lol
CJ's must have been built only on Mondays and Fridays.
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

Quote:
1958 cj5

thank you very much! I was afraid I didn't put enough details in the message, but you seemed to get it right on the head.

Its going to take a lot of work, as you could see from the pictures..I gutted most of it already though, the chairs are in the shed next door. Tore out all the carpets, vacuumed most of it up, and I pulled the spark plugs and squirted some WD40 down the cylinders, going to try and take a wrench on the block tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on the process of this guy!

Oh, and does it look mostly/all original? I'm not really wanting to have a hash-together, and since most of it will need to be replaced(you can see more chassis than floor pan in the back...)
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Just below the thermostat, the engine serial number is stamped into the block, should match the tub serial
On the passenger side top of frame rail just in front of the tub the serial number will be found there as well
First section of the ID number is the build code, (8305) second set is serial/build number (181285) this is the number that should match on the tub, frame and engine if it all came together. Records were poorly kept,,,,, and sometimes serial numbers were used out of order,,,,
Another site for serial number look up: (8305 is not listed)
http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/serial.html
As for that engine being locked up (forget the wd40 (water displacement 40th attempt)) try DOT 3 brake fluid mixed 50/50 with dexron (atf) down the plug holes (about 1/4 cup each)(and some down the carb) and let it set at least over night, try to rock it, don't force it take your time. I have also read (on the Old Willys Forum) where the cam had locked on an F head. This may take several days, I would pull the starter and use a short bar (heavy screwdriver) the try to turn the engine
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

Quote:
1958 cj5

Could you tell me the unique parts that helped you determine that its a '58? I'll be needing to go to DMV to get the car titled, and I want to have a proper year's title for it, rather than a 2012 title.

Thanks
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

In 1958, the serial numbers started with 82878 and ended with 97918. Yours falls in that model year. There were virtually no changes for many years, so finding an identifying feature specific to 1958 will be difficult if not impossible.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

Quote:
In 1958, the serial numbers started with 82878 and ended with 97918. Yours falls in that model year. There were virtually no changes for many years, so finding an identifying feature specific to 1958 will be difficult if not impossible.
My number is "81285" though, isn't it? Or am I looking at the wrong place? I'm very new with this..
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Yours is 8305

Jeeps didn't get VIN's until 1962

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.