Can you identify these vaccum lines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can you identify these vaccum lines?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Can you identify these vaccum lines?

1985 CJ7, 258 engine, manual trans.

Today I noticed a disconnected vaccum line in the engine compartment. I traced it to a "Y" connector. The "Y" lead to two other disconnected hoses. I was able to pull the whole thing out. Here it is:

I also noticed a group of vaccum connectors toward the rear of the engine, and two of the ports were plugged with screws. The photo below shows the plugged ports circled in red. The red arrow points to the rear of the engine:

Does anyone have any idea what the disconnected hose might be and what the plugged ports are supposed to connect to?

The engine starts and runs fine. I haven't done the Nutter Bypass yet.

Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe this will help. Not sure what year, but worth a look.
258vacuumdiag.gif  
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Maybe this will help. Not sure what year, but worth a look.
Yeah, I have basically the same diagram in my Chilton's manual. There are at least 6 "Y" connectors Maybe I can figure it out based on the check valves.
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

The top photo is of the TAC system hoses and the lower photo is of the upstream/downstream pulse air switches on the left and the carb. sol-vac switch is on the right (as seen in the photo).

You will find them as well as all others here; Table of Contents
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
The top photo is of the TAC system hoses and the lower photo is of the upstream/downstream pulse air switches on the left and the carb. sol-vac switch is on the right (as seen in the photo).
^^X2^^

They are in deed for the factory TAC system on the OEM Air Cleaner assembly.

Pulse Air switches too but don't have a good photo of those since they are now gone with the use of a Weber carb changeover.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
^^X2^^
They are in deed for the factory TAC system on the OEM Air Cleaner assembly.
[/IMG]
Okay, good information. My air cleaner assembly doesn't have that second vaccum actuator on it. It looks like it was removed because I can see the hole where the original rivet was. See red circle below. What does this missing piece do? I think the existing piece lets warm air in from the exhaust manifold, although mine is missing the hot air tube.

I should route that vac line away from the valve cover.

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I think you are missing the flap that will close off the intake for fume reasons. Mine has been bolted into the open position. No great loss. Check the site "Jeep Adventures under the Hood" to be sure.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.