Can you change body bushings without removing the body? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can you change body bushings without removing the body?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

Can you change body bushings without removing the body?

So that's the question, can you replace the the bushings without removing the tub?

M20Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Yes. Enjoy getting all the old ones loose and out though. If any are rusted, you are probably gonna end up cutting. I did all mine with the tub on, you can take the bolts out on one side and jack up the tub off the frame, change them out and lock them back down. Go to the other side and repeat. Took me about 2 days because I had to cut to get to the nuts in the frame that were spinning
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Exactly what the above poster said. It was one of the biggest beatings I've taken with this jeep. They are all incredibly difficult to cut out, and you will almost certainly have to cut them out. I put kroil and pb blaster on them for over a week straight and still broke all but a couple when I tried to back the nuts off the bolts. Ended up having to weld up a few new mounts and had to drill a couple of holes on the floor board to reach a couple of them.

Made a HUGE difference in the ride quality, though, and was inexpensive, albeit time consuming.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigemags05
Exactly what the above poster said. It was one of the biggest beatings I've taken with this jeep. They are all incredibly difficult to cut out, and you will almost certainly have to cut them out. I put kroil and pb blaster on them for over a week straight and still broke all but a couple when I tried to back the nuts off the bolts. Ended up having to weld up a few new mounts and had to drill a couple of holes on the floor board to reach a couple of them.

Made a HUGE difference in the ride quality, though, and was inexpensive, albeit time consuming.
Lol I left "access panels" in case I need to go through that again!
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

DON'T USE AN IMPACT WRENCH! The retainer nuts are held by small tabs and if you continuously beat on them they will fail. A big cheater will establish contact with the tab only once and will apply constant pressure against them and they will hold the nut better. Don't be surprised if some welding is needed to repair rust.
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

I am beginning to weep now....
M20Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Invest in PB Nutbuster...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

At least you can do it without removing the tub, haha.

Also, it doesn't take much skill, just a lot of sweat. You'll feel great about yourself when it's done.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M20Keeper
I am beginning to weep now....
It really isn't that bad. I spent most of my time finding something to get out the bolts (like usual) and finding (buying) the right tools. I ended up with a new dremel tool in the deal. Just an FYI, the tops of these bushings have a small metal plate over them that are supposed to keep the nut inside them from turning so you can just put a wrench on the bottom and voila! (Not to get your hopes up, but that isn't what happens). Those metal plates have to be removed in very small spaces if you want access to the nuts. There is little to zero access to the top side of these bushings except in 2 of the 11. I had to cut small pieces from the frame to put vice grips on to keep the nut from spinning in 7 of my 11 total. Replace the bolts, washers and nuts if you can when you are in there and just consider how you can make a future bushing change easier when you are in there. (I think Fred Flintstone was the engineer on this part)
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
spward

1985 CJ7 

I guess I was lucky. I managed to only have 1 spin on me and I was able to us an impact wrench on all of them. The one that spun was right below the fuel filler and I was able to peel the sheet metal back and wedge a cold chisel in there to stop it from spinning. Hope all goes back together easy.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.