Can someone please identify my seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can someone please identify my seats

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Can someone please identify my seats

Somehow the seats in my 1980 CJ become more and more a mystery to me. The right one on the picture is the one the jeep had when i bought it 18 years ago. Also the passenger side seat and the rear bench have this color combination. According to the vin tag this is:

06LE 2/3-1/3 bench, Desert Beige, Linen vinyl

Strange thing is that i don't have a split bench, and the seat on the left, which i recently bought from a friend as a replacement, shouldn't be existing at all in 1980. The only other light colour in 1980 should have been:

Tan, Denim Vinyl with Italian Purse Vertical Stripes

and these were only available with high backs.

Could it be possible that these seats are not from 1980 and some PO just swapped them in?

PS: The two seats on the picture are definitely a different color and not faded. The difference is also visible on the underside which was never exposed to the sun. Maybe from different years?

momo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

If your trim tag is what you posted, then obviously somewhere along the way the original seats have been removed.
The rest of the story....just guessing.
Low and high were available in 1980 from the factory.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

I have those same "style" seats, only in balck...so I would say that those lowbacks were definitely available in 1980.

As for the color? There's a good chance there was some mixing and matching going on through your Jeep's history...
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
momo2
1980 CJ7 

I did a little more research. According to documents this Jeep originally was what is called a "fiscal truck" here. This means you pay lower taxes but you have to have your cargo area separated by a metal grid and are not allowed to have a rear bench. So a split bench in the front makes some sense.

In 1982 the grid was taken out and the owner added a rear bench. Maybe at this time he also changed the front seats to match the rear one. Strange thing is that the door panels have the same design and color as the seats. So either he has changed them too or the new single seats were just the same design as the original bench.

And this brings me back to my initial question. What color, style and production year is the right seat on the picture. It's not italian purse, is it?

Thanks Momo
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Got the first owner on the phone today, the guy was quite surprised to hear about his car 30 years later. He removed the split bench and put some black laredo high backs in, so it seems that the second owner put the beige low backs in. I solved some of this puzzle myself already. Acoording to the parts manual low back jeep seats with the cj embossing were available till 1984.

In 1980 the beige color was called Desert Beige, Linen vinyl. Trim code was
6CE or 6DE

In 1981 and 1983 the beige color was just beige and the Trim code was 6BA

In 1984 the trim code was still 6BA but the color was almond

So i start to believe that the right seat and all the other interior the jeep had when i bought it are 1980 desert beige. This was also the color the original front split bench had.

The left seat i bought as an replacment seems to be an almond 1984 then.

Also the sales brochures and paint chips look that way

Can somebody confirm?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.