Can someone with MTS tank help me with fuel gauge???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can someone with MTS tank help me with fuel gauge????

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Can someone with MTS tank help me with fuel gauge????

Hey everyone,

I am going to be installing the MTS 21 gallon tank in my CJ hopefully in a couple of days. I have read their instructions online and it seems pretty straight forward but I do not see anything mention what OHM the sending unit is? I'm not planning on using the OEM gauge in the speedometer cluster so I plan on purchasing just a small gauge to put in the dash.

Also is there anything special I need to know about which fuel gauge to purchase? Also is there anything to set up for the sending unit special other than putting it together(initial ohm reading or anything???).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

I already have that tank, just dropped it for a new sender. They are 10/73 ohms from what i saw online
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

so it's pretty much a drop in deal? As long as I have good connections on the tank and good to the fuel gauge (assuming it is within the ohm range) it should work???? Sorry for such basic questions but I really don't want to have to drop the tank again if I don't have to......I seem to have more than enough to keep me busy with this things as well. lol

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy
so it's pretty much a drop in deal? As long as I have good connections on the tank and good to the fuel gauge (assuming it is within the ohm range) it should work???? Sorry for such basic questions but I really don't want to have to drop the tank again if I don't have to......I seem to have more than enough to keep me busy with this things as well. lol
As long as your replacing a factory 15 gallon tank the above is true. If you are replacing the factory 20gal poly tank you will need to purchase parts for a 15 gal tank to install as well as the rollover valve and liquid check valve.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L

As long as your replacing a factory 15 gallon tank the above is true. If you are replacing the factory 20gal poly tank you will need to purchase parts for a 15 gal tank to install as well as the rollover valve and liquid check valve.
Agree. Also, before you put it in your tank, verify your ohm readings to make sure. The little metal tabs on either side can be used to fine tune it. And make damn sure everything is grounded. My PO at some point burned out the gauge plus the insides of the tank sender itself. John Strenk posted words of wisdom with pictures on a post I made several weeks ago on senders.
T-5
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

thanks for the info guys. I kinda feel like the village idiot asking such basic questions about it but a google search really didn't answer the basic questions. Thanks!!!!

Unread 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

When you get your sender unit, make sure you check the Ohm's.

Mine came last night, read 8 for a full tank which isnt bad, but for an empty tank it was reading 180 Ohm's. it's very delicate/time consuming to gently adjust the legs to read at 73. At one point I had it dialed to 80, tried to get a bit better and it jumped to 130 lol.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

sorry but I'm not sure I'm following what to do here. So I need to have adjust the ohms to read as little as possible on both full/empty? I'm still not understanding how to size the ohm range for the fuel gauge to read from the sending unit. It looks like different gauges have a very wide range of ohms. I may have to call MTS for info on purchasing the gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
When you get your sender unit, make sure you check the Ohm's.

Mine came last night, read 8 for a full tank which isnt bad, but for an empty tank it was reading 180 Ohm's. it's very delicate/time consuming to gently adjust the legs to read at 73. At one point I had it dialed to 80, tried to get a bit better and it jumped to 130 lol.

Unread 12-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy
sorry but I'm not sure I'm following what to do here. So I need to have adjust the ohms to read as little as possible on both full/empty? I'm still not understanding how to size the ohm range for the fuel gauge to read from the sending unit. It looks like different gauges have a very wide range of ohms. I may have to call MTS for info on purchasing the gauge.
Typical cj gauge, original and most replacements read 10 ohms empty, 73 ohms full.
The gauge itself can be fine tuned but for that you need to read John Strenk's gauge pages.
The sender itself from MTS is supposed to read 10/73, but I am not sure if the calibrate them during manufacturing.
Hence what I said to check the Ohms, otherwise it wont be very close.
The sender I got read high on an empty tank so with my gauge it would have read empty when it was not.

T-5

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.