Can someone HELP me with my new wiring?!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can someone HELP me with my new wiring?!!

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
gnarjeep
1976 CJ5 

Can someone HELP me with my new wiring?!!

Ok so I am about ready to have my 76 Cj5 on the road. My only problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out the tail ligs and turn signals for this jeep! I have tried everything and just cannot figure it out. I have a Centech Wiring Harness and it doesnt agree with my steering column harness witch has no plug or labeled wires. I put pics here so it could be seen. The two wires im holding are the reverse lights. for some reason with the key on there is power there weather the trans in reverse or not ( manual trans ). The wires behind are the wires from the new harness.
Turn flasher
RT Stop
LT Stop
Hazard
Brake Switch
Horn
Dash Lamp
RT Turn
LT Turn

Can someone please help me. I would really like to get my Cj back on the town.

img_20130603_155511.jpg   img_20130603_155547.jpg   img_20130603_155604.jpg  
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
gnarjeep
1976 CJ5 

I can also say the reverse lamp wire is already attatched at the trans. but this is a plug under the dash. I dont understand why it is under the dash
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Original wiring harness had a red wire from the back up light switch going to the cigar lighter. Also the wire going to the back up lights themselves were white w/black trim. coming from the fuse panel.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Green wire to right stop/turn. Green w/trim left stop/turn. White wires go both rear lights and side markers those are your running lights. the lights ground through the mounting studs of the light fixtures.
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
gnarjeep
1976 CJ5 

The only thing I can get from that is that the turn signal switch in my column differs from stock. The wires I have from centech are all labeled and the turn signal switch in the column harness is not. And as far as the back up lamps does that mean I just have a + wire that would go to the cigar lighter if there was one? I am sorry if Im seaming dumb in this subject of wiring I just have been looking at this for days now scratching my head. I also think that Centch Wiring is deffin. not a good wiring harness for me. Nothing seams to be working correctly for me
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Your cigar lighter would be switched which means when you turn the ignition on it would have power. Then it would go to the back up switch where it would not complete the circuit for the b/u lights to come on until the shifter is put into reverse and a poppet ball in the switch is pushed up completing the circuit and sending power to the b/u lights. Looking at your photos it seems that centech did not follow the color scheme for the original wiring harness but just label them instead. PM me with your e-mail and I can send you a wiring diagram if you think that will help
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarjeep View Post
I can also say the reverse lamp wire is already attached at the trans. but this is a plug under the dash. I dont understand why it is under the dash

There were two switches for the backup light in the harness. One for manual transmissions and one for Automatic transmissions.
The one for Automatic transmissions were located on the steering column. If the jeep came with an manual transmission then this was left unpluged.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarjeep View Post
Ok so I am about ready to have my 76 Cj5 on the road. My only problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out the tail ligs and turn signals for this jeep! I have tried everything and just cannot figure it out. I have a Centech Wiring Harness and it doesnt agree with my steering column harness witch has no plug or labeled wires. I put pics here so it could be seen. The two wires im holding are the reverse lights. for some reason with the key on there is power there weather the trans in reverse or not ( manual trans ). The wires behind are the wires from the new harness.
Turn flasher
RT Stop
LT Stop
Hazard
Brake Switch
Horn
Dash Lamp
<Front> RT Turn
<Front> LT Turn

Can someone please help me. I would really like to get my Cj back on the town.
Well there's your problem, You have a Witch in your steering column.

Quote:
The wires behind are the wires from the new harness.

Turn flasher (From Turn Signal Flasher)
RT Stop (To Right Rear Turn/Brake Light)
LT Stop (To Left Rear Turn/Brake Light)
Hazard (From Hazard Flasher)
Brake Switch (From Brake Switch)
Horn (To Horn Relay)
Dash Lamp (TO Automatic Transmission PRNDL indicator)
<Front> RT Turn (TO Front Right Turn Signal AND Speedometer Right Turn indicator)
<Front> LT Turn (TO Front Left Turn Signal AND Speedometer Right Turn indicator)
I would not guarantee the color codes in my picture. The manufacturers seem to put any combination in they choose.
You are going to have to pull the turn signal switch out and hunt down each wire.

In this case I would just buy a new Turn Signal and install it and you don't have to spend time figuring out were the wires go.

Isn't there a connector for the turn signal on the Centrec harness?
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
gnarjeep
1976 CJ5 

John... My jeep when I purchaced it in 2003 never had a conector due to the hacking the previous owner had done. So I just cut the plug from centech. All of this is great information guys!
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

To late then, I would of recommended to buy a new TS with the proper connector that would of plugged into your centech harness.

Did you throw it away yet? It is probably repairable...
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
gnarjeep
1976 CJ5 

I was digging around and couldn't find the plug. Correct me if im wrong but a friend of mine has a 83 with a fiberglass tub and he has told me he had to rewire the whole lighting system and he has a replacement harness.
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Depends, did he replace the whole harness? Then yes, he probably has the connector for the one on the harness.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.