Can someone explain this fan switch for me? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can someone explain this fan switch for me?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA View Post
The way I understand it is that the motor has a single lead for power going in. If the power feeding that lead is reduced the speed is reduced proportionately. If the power is a full 12v the fans run at full speed. Unless I am missing the boat the fan motors do not have dedicated windings or portions that are dedicated to certain speeds.

What I am not sure of is if you have 12v going through the resistor circuit reducing the voltage and it meets a full 12v provided by the high speed relay on the other side of the resistor how or if that would affect the full 12v load for high speed. I am pretty sure that beings its coming from a single 12v source you wont increase or multiply voltage.

All of tht being said - what i would like to do is simply feed a 40 amp relay for the low speed circuit off of T1 and have T2 feed a 70 amp relay to bring in high speed as demand requires. Ideally T1 and T2 will not be energized at the same time. But even if they are I am not sure how much of an issue that will be to the motors.
Yup. This is how the contour fans are designed. If you look at the factory wiring diagram for the contour fans, you'll see that they are wired exactly as you describe.

SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Here is my idea for an elementary 2 speed fan control module.

Concept is simple and would utilize the factory Contour wiring - I have a relay base that will accept 2 relays that I picked up at the U-pullit for $3. I will take an exterior gang box and make and opening in the top edge for the actual relays to access the base, mount the relay base, circuit breakers and terminal block inside the box. Mount the box close to the fan, wire it up and put the cover on. The actual relays are exposed at the top of the box but everything else is weather proof. I dont think the relays being exposed will matter much but if so it wont be too difficult to fabricate a cover for them.

I know the drawing is cheezy but does anyone see a reason it wouldn't work?
fan-control.jpg  
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Anybody? Was hoping to get a little feedback from those of you that have some electrical background.

That being said - wheres the Hammer?
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.