Can I nutter bypass my 1984 2.5L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can I nutter bypass my 1984 2.5L

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Rmally
1984 CJ7 

Can I nutter bypass my 1984 2.5L

Hey guys,

I have searched for the last hour doing the nutter on a 2.5L and all I come up with is nutter threads for the bigger engines. Can you nutter the 2.5L and if so can someone direct me to the proper thread. PS...1984 CJ7 AMC 2.5

I just put a new weber on last week and it runs great......for a while. After a few miles and then every so often it just coughs, sputters, and dies. I can hear lots of "clicking" and figure it's all my emissions crap leaning out my mixture. You can turn off the jeep re-start and its perfect.....for a while and then repeats the sputtering and dies.

I'm sure if I could eliminate some of those worthless relays, wires, etc it would solve this problem. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help or direction.

Rmally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

They can be Nuttered in a way. You already have the Weber so there is no more computer controlled A/F mixture carb but you still have the computer controlling the timing and vacuum controls. The easiest way to go is to look at the Nutter schematic and take the distributor out of the circuit. There should be one or both of the dizzy signal wires that connect to the ECU, bypass the ECU. The signal wires should go straigh from the dizzy to the ignition module. Just match the colors. Once that is done and running, you can start stripping out all the excess wiring and the ECU. For the vacuum lines, the only ones I left in at the time were the dizzy advance, the purge signal for the vapor canister, and PCV. You should probably just do the dizzy wiring first, see how it runs and then decide how much of the other stuff you want to remove. Don't want to remove too much and then find you can't keep it running.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
BG1360

OK, so it won't make any difference if the Carter YFA is new or old, as long as it works. I also have a 1984 CJ7 with 2.5L engine and my vacuum lines are a disaster. Is their a vacuum diagram for the 2.5L?
vaclinesafternutter.jpg  
BG1360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.