Can I fit 33" tires? (stock 83 CJ7 Laredo) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can I fit 33" tires? (stock 83 CJ7 Laredo)

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
'Cause that's a bad idea. It will screw up your caster angle and handling and potentially make your ride quality worse at those kinds of length increases.
My thought exactly.

trailhead

Unread 02-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
I tried 33-12.5 on my stock 84 cj7 and rubbed with 4 people in the Jeep on flat pavement. But it rubbed mostly on the drivers side, maybe I have the famous drivers side droop.
drivers side in stock form also has a steel plate between the spring perch and the spring. this is the bracket for the steering dampener. It's not much but an 1/8" is an 1/8" when things are that tight
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

So this makes the drivers side lower? I will check it out.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
golftracerguy
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdill View Post
I have 33X13.5 Super Swamps and am running a 2.5 inch add a leaf lift and no rubs at all.
Hey gdill!
I might be missing a few bolts, but how does the add a leaf work on the cj's with the springs under the axles? Just curious??
Thanks!
golftracerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
Brg0012
1983 CJ7 

i have 32s on my stock with no trimming and have no rubbing issues and offroad with it all the time
Brg0012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #21
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brg0012 View Post
i have 32s on my stock with no trimming and have no rubbing issues and offroad with it all the time
what brand tires- have you measured the actual size?

what brand wheels, size, and backspace?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftracerguy View Post
Hey gdill!
I might be missing a few bolts, but how does the add a leaf work on the cj's with the springs under the axles? Just curious??
Thanks!
They have more arch than the stock leaves so when you add them to the spring packs, they change the arch and tend to stiffen up the ride a bit too; the full-length ones are better than the shorties that just get slapped onto the bottom of the pack.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #23
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

do you have a cutoff wheel.???
then yes
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #24
gdill
1985 CJ7 

The leafs are just added to the pack and the u-bolts go around the axle and bolt to the plate holding the springs on. Not sure how else to explain it.

Sorry, I am just going by what the guy I bought it from (he is also my 4X4 mechanic from all the way back to when I was breaking trucks in high school) told me how he did it.

JeepSkate said it best.
gdill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
So this makes the drivers side lower? I will check it out.
just EVER so slightly, it's not noticable but if you are 1/8 inch from rubbing then it's enough to make ya rub.
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #26
junkur

i had 32's on my 86 stock suspension with no rubbing. i threw some 33's on there for fun and had very minor rubbing. with the TJ flares i have now, i would have had no issues.

as far as the shackles, i say avoid anything over 1.5" lift shackles(give 3/4" of lift.) i have 1.5's on my 86 with a 4" suspension lift and it handles just fine on and off the road, even with 33" TSL's. i also know guys who have the monstrous 3" or larger shackles and have no problems. i think results vary from each individual jeep.

here are a few pics from '07 with 33's and stock suspension. now obviously your flex would be hindered, but with some TJ flares to open the wheel wells a little, you may not rub much at all, depending on the condition of your suspension.

with 32's and no lift

junkur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
83_CJ7_laredo
1983 CJ7 

wow - thanks junkur! that's just what I was looking for. The pics are encouraging.

I bought the tires, so I'm just waiting for a weekend above freezing to do an oil change and throw in new plugs to get it running. I'll put the tires on when I get it into the garage.
83_CJ7_laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #28
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

For my current Jeep; I started with a, 85 Laredo, the largest tire that I could fit, on road with stock springs/suspension, was a no name 32 (note; most tires measure smaller than the sidewall designation). The 32s hit hard enough, off road, to bend sheet metal and chunk the tires and would rub, sometimes pretty hard, over speed bumps in town.
33s had no chance of not rubbing (use of a tape measure will verify this).

I would second those that say stay away from long shackles (its a noob mistake that is frequently repeated in spite of experienced advise).

The rear TJ flair retrofit is the only good solution that I have found (excessively high, excessively stiff (read poor) lifts, body lifts or ugly body butchery will work but I cannot, in good conscience, call them good) that allows the use of 33s and 35s with reasonable lifts. It is necessary for Jeep suspensions with good ride and decent articulation for lits in the 5"+ range to prevent metal and tire damage off road. (Off road use is the only reason to consider tires larger than stock, IMO).

Note; tires significantly larger than stock will require re-gearing the axles to maintain performance and mileage.
You need to be prepared for the effort and expense; Jeeps that perform well are neither cheap nor easy...

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #29
cj5nut

i fit 33's on my '74 cj5 with no lift just fine...
cj5nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
33" , cj7 , laredo , tires , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.