Can I fit 33" tires? (stock 83 CJ7 Laredo) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can I fit 33" tires? (stock 83 CJ7 Laredo)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
83_CJ7_laredo
1983 CJ7 

Can I fit 33" tires? (stock 83 CJ7 Laredo)

I've got a 1983 CJ7 Laredo with stock suspension. I believe the current tires are 31". I'm looking at a set of 33" x 12.5". I haven't upgraded tires before, but I was smart enough to make sure the set is the 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern.

Will I be able to fit these tires on my Jeep? I don't take it out on trails or anything -just a street Jeep for now- and would likely hang on to my 31" set for a while in case the new ones don't work out. Will I suffer power loss? (I've got the AMC 258 4.2l I6) Will I get rub on turns? Is there an affordable way for me to do my own modification to ensure that the tires will work without issue? I'm not afraid to use my own tools to put in spacers or whatever.

Will a full size spare fit on the spare tire gate?

Thanks, Jeep experts!

83_CJ7_laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Every suspension is a little different in regards to spring sag, and stiffness. So its hard to say definitively. On some web site it says 4 inches to clear 33's I disagree. On mine I have a very small lift. maybe 2 inches.

On mine (same tire size BFG km2) I needed wheel spacers to not rub the springs on full turn on the springs up front. This is regardless of lift, so you will need some sort of wheel spacers or steering angle limiters.

If you are going offroad you will be rubbing other parts too but I am not exactly sure what.

In the rear, its likely you will hit on the tub and need to bust out the sawzall on the body section closest to the rear bumper. You can pretty easily modify that to gain approx 1 inch. I hit mine when going over dips and rocking the jeep left/right until I cut out some body. I was able to modify the stock fenders and it does not look dumb.

If you have 31's just look at it and add 1 inch you can use a block or whatever. if it hits the body then you either need to lift, or get sawzall.

If yuo have 2.73 gears are a little tall for that, with 3.31 it will work but it puts a larger strain on the transmission.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

most likely no. the best you could probably do is 32"
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

'fit' is a relative term. just because they will mount up doesn't mean they'll 'fit'

your wheel backspacing will play a big part in fitment, but in general, no, 33's are a bit too big with 0" lift.

also, depending on what stock gears you have, yes, this change could make quite a difference in power and mileage.

other factors to cosider is the weight of the new tire/wheel combo vs. the old ones.

HTH

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
83_CJ7_laredo
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
If you have 31's just look at it and add 1 inch you can use a block or whatever. if it hits the body then you either need to lift, or get sawzall.
That's a good idea. I'll just stick a board in there and see what space remains. The tires are a great deal, so I'll likely get them and tackle whatever problems may arise, but I figured some veteran Jeep people could give me a good idea of what to expect.

Thanks!
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
falloutboy89
1979 CJ7 

I have BFG KM2 32's on a 2-1/2" lift. I was under the impression that was the biggest I could go at the time. I do need wheel spacers though as it rubs on the springs during full turns...

2-1/2" lift is great for me. Not too crazy. Can wheel and ride on the road pretty comfortably.
falloutboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
falloutboy89
1979 CJ7 

Pardon my ignorance but if I was to get wheel spacers would I/should I get them for all four wheels or just the front?

Thanks, Tom
falloutboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

The rear will fit with TJ flares, the front can be cut out to flat fenders, or you could do tube fenders

Just another idea
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy89 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but if I was to get wheel spacers would I/should I get them for all four wheels or just the front?

Thanks, Tom
you should run front and rear together, to keep the same wheel tracking.

it is NOT necessary, but looks goofy as all get out if you don't.

another option is to adjust or modify your front steering stops

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
gdill
1985 CJ7 

I have 33X13.5 Super Swamps and am running a 2.5 inch add a leaf lift and no rubs at all.
gdill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
904polarized
1979 CJ7 

I don't see why you couldn't put 1-1/2''-2'' lift shackles and the wheel spacers on. That should get you where you need to be. I wouldn't do any heavy offroading but it should clear them going down the road!
904polarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
83_CJ7_laredo
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I don't see why you couldn't put 1-1/2''-2'' lift shackles and the wheel spacers on. That should get you where you need to be. I wouldn't do any heavy offroading but it should clear them going down the road!
Sweet. That seems simple enough to get me going. I think I'll go ahead and buy the tires. I'll post before/after pictures if I can get it all figured out. Worst I can do is sell 'em for close to what I'm paying.

Maybe they'll barely squeeze in and be funny to look at! Ha.
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904polarized View Post
I don't see why you couldn't put 1-1/2''-2'' lift shackles
'Cause that's a bad idea. It will screw up your caster angle and handling and potentially make your ride quality worse at those kinds of length increases.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

lift shackles should be outlawed. anything more then 1" over stock causes drastic handling problems. And that 1" shackle only gets you 1/2" of lift.

likewise Never use more then 1" of body lift. Anythign more can shift under hard braking and actually let the body slide. It also causes increased fatigue on the body mounts and over time can actually case them to completely break all around the mount.
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I tried 33-12.5 on my stock 84 cj7 and rubbed with 4 people in the Jeep on flat pavement. But it rubbed mostly on the drivers side, maybe I have the famous drivers side droop.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33" , cj7 , laredo , tires , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.