Can I Drive Without My Doors??? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can I Drive Without My Doors???

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #76
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was told if they are removable like how a jeeps are, your fine. You go and try to take it off your car though... they'll pull you over... (however I do see them little poser XJ guys driving w/o them?)

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #77
doeboy99
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj7pete622 View Post
The date/time/location puts you at the grand ol' PAJEEP show in York. I did see one or two post '86 Jeeps leaving the show without doors, although the majority had at least safari-style doors (custom and store bought).

I love the "under protest" written next to your name. Is this how it works in PA or just a way to vent?

I drive an 86 CJ in NYC without issues. Not sure how yj, tj, jk, etc do without doors in NY, but I do see doorless often enough in NY.

Thanks,
Pete.

Yea they got me on the way to the show. I only live like 15 min from York. I have been driving jeeps since I got my license (15 years ago and have never had a problem. Yea I told the cop I was signing this under protest because I didn't agree with it.

Here is a link to what a local cop in my town told me to print out and bring to court with me 067 Pa. Code § 175.77. Body.

it states:
§ 175.77. Body.
(a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Fenders. The wheels of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with fenders of a type used as original equipment. A tire may not come in contact with the body, fenders or chassis of the vehicle.

(c) Hood and hood latches. The entire motor compartment of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be covered by a hood. The hood shall be equipped with a double latch system to hold it in the closed position if the hood was originally so equipped.

(d) Protruding objects. There may be no torn metal, glass or other loose or dislocated parts protruding from the body of the vehicle.

(e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

There seems to be a fine line on whether it is legal or not. I’m not really all gung hoe on beating the ticket. It won’t stop me from driving with no doors. I just figured I’d give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I have a $109 jeep souvenir.

1989 YJ
2000 TJ
1979 CJ5
1979 CJ7
doeboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #78
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Keep us posted.

I have never been hassled by the cops for doors, just mud flaps/flairs from running 37s on wider than stock axles.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #79
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

The wording of the regulation makes it seem that safari doors would not be legal either. (which might explain why 4WD has that all marked as "off road only")
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #80
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The last part (f) also states about tailgates.. So that means if you have a pickup you can't just run it without the gate in place?? How many times you see trucks with no tailgate? Maybe those need fines too?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #81
ramarks

Just got pulled over for no doors on my 1982 CJ7. No ticket but a warning.
ramarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #82
Nbonney5413
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I asked a cop friend of mine about the windshield of a jeep and if u wore glasses if it'd be legal to drop it. He said he never heard of a law AGAINST it. In Pa if there's no law against it it's legal Soooo I'd assume with glasses on your good to go. My one hinge is froze up so I couldn't this summer, anyone try that before?
Nbonney5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #83
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if going doorless in a 87 yj is legal-er than say a 90. 87's did not come with a top and were factory equipped with fiberglass half doors. That type of door gets damaged by rocks, I somehow doubt they would stand up in a collision from the side.
Something offtopic, when did AMC get taken over? My 87 was built in the middle of 86 and everything has AMC tags, even my transfer case says NP231 AMC. I have yet to see a single Chrysler label or plate anywhere.
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #84
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramarks View Post
Just got pulled over for no doors on my 1982 CJ7. No ticket but a warning.
In Canada, the law is specifically written as:

Quote:
Doors — Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors
This came up when someone contested a ticket at some point, and it was determined (by a Judge) that the Wranglers came with doors, and the CJ's did not.

DOT rules are similar, except they are written like "original safety equipment, or the equivalent, must be installed". But the end result is the same- The CJ did not come with doors or a top. It was a dealer installed option, and obviously a very popular one, but it was not a factory original item.

On a side note, I've never been bothered about not having doors except once when casually asked by an officer to where my doors where. I told him "attached to the top". On a CJ5, the doors can not be used without the top.
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #85
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here in Michigan I there is no law specifically stating that you have to have doors..
I've been stopped by an officer before for a minor traffic offense (I was just warned) and at that time I had no top, no doors, and no roll cage (I was doing repairs). He did not say anything about any of those.
As already stated it sounds like as long as your aren't being stupid, they won't bother you for something like doors.

This thread has inspired me to do a little research though..
I found that there are actually no laws in the Michigan Vehicle Code specifically stating that you have to have doors or a windshield..

Maybe I'm missing something but all I see is that IF there is glass, it must be 'safety' glass..

Summarized Code

Section 708

Section 709

Section 711
JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #86
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
On a CJ5, the doors can not be used without the top.
If you have a Bestop Supertop for a CJ5, you can run the lower 1/2 doors without the top. You could even run the full doors by themselves, but it would look kinda silly.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #87
jeepin494
1977 CJ7 

The law here in SC at least has been if it came from the factory with removable doors/top, it is legal. If you remove them from a vehicle that didn't come like that, they will pull you over if they feel like it.
jeepin494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #88
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

I did not read the whole thread but i believe AMC had all tops as options. So basically they technically did not have a top from the factory and you chose an optional soft or hard top. This makes the Jeep legal because it never had doorsmto begin with.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #89
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

It does make me wonder-

The Jeep CJ was considered an "open body" design, not "convertable" by the DOT. Presumably because tops/doors were not factory item, but an optional dealer installed (usually 3rd party).

If thats the case, how did the factory ship them to the dealers? Without protection from rain/weather?
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #90
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

No problems in Pa. I had mine inspected with no top or doors.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.