Can I cut this off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can I cut this off?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 02-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
fluid_grind
1978 CJ5 

Can I cut this off?

Mocking up my exhaust and could use the extra clearance at my transfer case. What if any thing is bolted to the two holes in the photos below in the plate on my D20 transfer? I don't remember anything being bolted there, but its been a while since the tear down. If they go unused, can i cut the plate back to make more room for my exhaust?
picture-031-2-.jpg
picture-032-2-.jpg

78 CJ5, rebuilt 360, with T-18 Transmission, D20 transfer with teralow, Dana 44s with OX lockers front and back, 4.88 gearing, SOA with RE 1.5 lift springs and high steer, 37x13 Boggers on 16" MT Classics : Project Jeep
fluid_grind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

Mounting point for the anti-torque mount? (If 78's had such a thing) How does it feel when you romp on it? Any knocking or klunking or weird vibes? If not run it for a while to make sure, then cut it off, if you really feel the need. Good way to ruin a nice case, though.

Me? I'd find a way to not cut the case.
crusty75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

I have to agree with crusty75, its there for a reason. Maybe someone can post some pictures of their unit and shed some light on what the mount might be used for.
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

One of those holes had a bolt in it from the looks of it's threads. Maybe an exhaust hanger?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
wh74415
1979 CJ7 

its for stock exhaust hanger. no other purpose. cut that junk.
wh74415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh74415 View Post
its for stock exhaust hanger. no other purpose. cut that junk.
If it's for sure the exhaust hanger spot, I would only cut enough to clear and still use it. One shop forgot to put my tranny exhaust hanger on and the system kept coming loose at the manifold until I spotted the missing hanger.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.