Can i adapt ANY bucket seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Can i adapt ANY bucket seats

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 06-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
Wilderness
1978 CJ7 

Can i adapt ANY bucket seats

I was thinking of posting an ad on CL for some bucket seats, but will i have a hard time making them work? I guess you would just have to make them mate up with the original cj seat frame?

Wilderness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I put seats out of a Mazda 626 in my Jeep. I welded a piece of 1/2"x2" flat bar across the bottom of the seat frame at the same distance as the holes for the original CJ seat mount. The holes were drilled and tapped so they would bolt to the original mount with no issues.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
CoAce
1977 CJ7 

I did the same with XJ seats. Add a flat bar and bolted in.
The only thing to watch for is the thickness of the bottom. If to thick you will sit way to high like I was from the po's install.
CoAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
CSP

Yep, seat with a thick lower cushion can be a pain. Saturns have a lower cushion thickness that works well in a CJ.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I just tossed out two nice power/heated seats because the bottom cushions are too high. Too much trouble to make new brackets for me.
Small GM cars will swap right in. Cavaliers,Sunbirds, etc...
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

A welder and a plasma cutter = anything fits!
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
tdkask

I have two early TJ seats (they changed half way through TJs, I think?) but decided to make my own brackets. You can put just about any seat in the way mentioned above, but you'll want to make sure it's not too wide or too high. I'd suggest something that somewhat wraps around you and helps old your butt in place, but has some cushion under and behind you. Beyond that, maybe consider weather resistant?
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I just tossed out two nice power/heated seats because the bottom cushions are too high. Too much trouble to make new brackets for me.
Small GM cars will swap right in. Cavaliers,Sunbirds, etc...
I can't believe you did that.. heated/power seats, because you couldn't lower your mounts? come on, its not that tough.. remember if its over the counter, most likely its made in China! and you wouldn't want that would you?
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
I put seats out of a Mazda 626 in my Jeep. I welded a piece of 1/2"x2" flat bar across the bottom of the seat frame at the same distance as the holes for the original CJ seat mount. The holes were drilled and tapped so they would bolt to the original mount with no issues.

love the looks of those seats, how's the height on them? or did you lower the mounting?
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
LimeLite
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
I can't believe you did that.. heated/power seats, because you couldn't lower your mounts? come on, its not that tough.. remember if its over the counter, most likely its made in China! and you wouldn't want that would you?
Any tips or links you could pass along for lowering the mounts? I'm not happy with the height of my aftermarket bestops and would like them lower.

Ex-Member of offroad nuts
LimeLite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I changed where the seat pivot is to fold the seat forward. I removed the front pivot, then set a level on the top of the frame and lowered the front down until the frame was level. I then drilled a new hole in the frame where the pivot is at and put a bolt with a nylock nut on it. The seat pivots the same as before, but the base of the seat sits level. I have some pictures around here somewhere from when I did it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
....... I have some pictures around here somewhere from when I did it.
Yes please!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Ok, I finally found them.

Here is the seat frame as it comes from the factory.

I removed the front pivots, and brought the front link backward so the frame is sitting level. It's clamped into place with some vice grips in this shot. Make sure both sides are moved back the same distance so the fold forward function will still work.

The pivot was replaced with a 1/2" bolt and Nylock nut.

Flat bar welded to the bottom of the seat frame. Holes were drilled to match the factory seat frame so it bolted right up.

The end result. The seat bottom is flat and they sit just right so the back of your legs are not hanging off the edge. The sliders work the same, and these seats have the reclining back and lumbar support.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Sweet! So how are they for overall height?.....Assuming you're not like 6'8" or something.

And is that pivot some kind of funky press in insert? It's not a bolt from what I remember.....
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
John87
1985 CJ7 

i have seats from a 94 s10 blazer in mine
John87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.