Camshaft out 180 degrees ?? - Page 3 -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Camshaft out 180 degrees ??

**new pandemic-us 10w single led mini pod**Bedrug Front and Rear Floor Liner KitsFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 
You still don't get it...
And I don't have graphics to show you how it misaligns...

There is a SINGLE pin on a distributor gear,
That pin is NEVER drilled directly center of the gear tooth pattern.
So when you get the gear on backwards, you split teeth and you are AT LEAST 1/2 tooth off in rotor phasing.

Now, there are still guys that don't get rotor phasing, swear it doesn't exist since THEY have never heard of it before...
Although about every serious ignition company addresses it,
Distributor gears are marked with a 'Front' or rotor nose location to get them in the shaft correctly,
So just because some guy can't get his mind around it doesn't mean it 'Doesn't' exist...

I really don't care *IF* you believe it or not,
Not my call to educate the peanut gallery.

I'm here to help out the OP, and other than that, it's all just white noise...

JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #32
1986 CJ7 

Good reading but totally off topic of the original question. Sounds like its more of the alignment between trigger wheel in relation to the rotor.

Well hey, look at this:

I don't know how things went from cam/crank timing to dizzy set up but it might give the OP one more thing to look for.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #33
I recently suffered from this issue. The crank was installed with top dead center in the number one cylinder (unfortunately on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke). The cam gear was then installed onto the cam with the marks aligning as stated earlier. Crank gear mark at 12 and the cam gear mark at 6. I ran the truck this way for 1000 miles. recently I decided to add a crankshaft/harmonic dampener pointer to get more accurate distributor timing. I removed all the accessories on the front of the motor and the number one plug. I then removed the top cover (two piece) to the timing chain. Next I rotated the engine until the number one cylinder began pushing air out of the spark plug hole, rotating until the air stopped coming out of the plug hole (verifying TDC compression stroke). I then slipped on the harmonic dampener to determine TDC, the pointer was then adjusted to align with the TDC mark of the dampener. The problem that was noticed was the timing gear mark was at 12 and the crank gear mark was at 12. Cam gear was off by 180 degrees. I then removed the lifters and pushrods, and the cam gear and chain. The cam gear was then reinstalled without the chain and rotated 180 degrees (so that marks on cam gear 6 and crank gear 12 were properly aligned). Thus one can see that the cam gear can be off 180 degrees from the crank gear, with the distributor installed properly (at number 0ne on TDC) the truck will operate but not as great as it should.
SBC383stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #34
1984 CJ7 
Until the cam is installed there is no compression stroke or exhaust stroke.
Did you check TDC compression stroke after changing everything and see where the marks were?
Requiem4aCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #35
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 
To the hijacker, you are Way over thinking this. The cam and crank gears only go in one way, with the dots lined up. You then turn the engine until the cam gear dot is about 1:00 and count the links to verify.
This install puts #1 cylinder at TDC "exhaust". It has no bearing on setting the distributor. You can rotate the engine until #1 comes back up to compression to install the distributor.
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.