Camsaver lifters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Camsaver lifters

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Camsaver lifters

Has anyone here used the Crower camsaver lifters? They have a groove cut down the side to let a bit more oil out to lube the cam better. They seem like the way to go, just looking for first hand experience.

http://www.crower.com/lifters/flat-t...258-6-cyl.html

RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

No one?
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Considering this is a new one on me, I doubt many people have even heard of them yet (which explains the thunderous silence.)

However, I honestly don't see the utility. If you use the proper oil (API Service SL or earlier,) you should not have trouble with flat tappets. If you use API Service SM or later ("Energy Saving," typically with no accompanying Diesel rating) the extra oil won't help (it's not the oil proper that wipes out cam lobes - the base stock doesn't change. It's what's added to the oil that makes it different.)

Ideally, roller cams for "vintage" engines (specifically referring to AMC Gen-II/III V8 and AMC I6 here - since they're most commonly overhauled...) and tappets would become available for prices comparable to SBC/SBF/LA-block. But, the economics of scale prevent that.

I have heard of "composite-foot" tappets that are supposed to obviate the need for elevated organometallic antiscuff additives, but I have yet to gather any reports from the field.

Myself, I've always preferred Rhoads tappets for performance buildups - but they have "flat" feet as well (a "flat" tappet is not truly flat - there is a radius to the foot, typically 30-36". This works in conjunction with a slight lateral taper on the cam lobe to rotate the tappet in the bore, which helps to reduce wear.)

(Generally, when your post hasn't been answered, it's for one of two reasons: 1) No-one who has an answer has seen it yet. 2) No-one has an answer. It is generally not necessary to "bump" your post hoping for an answer, and widespread use of "bumping" can lead to increased server traffic and load. Besides, it's "bad Netiquette," most places... Just sayin'. )
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Yes I have heard of them and they do work.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Considering this is a new one on me, I doubt many people have even heard of them yet (which explains the thunderous silence.)

However, I honestly don't see the utility. If you use the proper oil (API Service SL or earlier,) you should not have trouble with flat tappets. If you use API Service SM or later ("Energy Saving," typically with no accompanying Diesel rating) the extra oil won't help (it's not the oil proper that wipes out cam lobes - the base stock doesn't change. It's what's added to the oil that makes it different.)

Ideally, roller cams for "vintage" engines (specifically referring to AMC Gen-II/III V8 and AMC I6 here - since they're most commonly overhauled...) and tappets would become available for prices comparable to SBC/SBF/LA-block. But, the economics of scale prevent that.

I have heard of "composite-foot" tappets that are supposed to obviate the need for elevated organometallic antiscuff additives, but I have yet to gather any reports from the field.

Myself, I've always preferred Rhoads tappets for performance buildups - but they have "flat" feet as well (a "flat" tappet is not truly flat - there is a radius to the foot, typically 30-36". This works in conjunction with a slight lateral taper on the cam lobe to rotate the tappet in the bore, which helps to reduce wear.)

(Generally, when your post hasn't been answered, it's for one of two reasons: 1) No-one who has an answer has seen it yet. 2) No-one has an answer. It is generally not necessary to "bump" your post hoping for an answer, and widespread use of "bumping" can lead to increased server traffic and load. Besides, it's "bad Netiquette," most places... Just sayin'. )
Where would you get SL or earlier oil?

I looked in the block and the only place for the lobes to get oil stock is slung off the crank and whatever sprays out the cam bearings. I would expect more oil is better and they are about the same price as other lifters.

I waited quite awhile to bump, many people only look at the first page (me for example) and if it gets off before the right audience sees it it will not be responded to.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.