Cam and Valve Timing Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cam and Valve Timing Questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-19-2002, 01:23 PM   #1
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Cam and Valve Timing Questions

Ok, here is a quick overview of what I have. I have a Crower cam in a 304, I bought the engine used with the camshaft in it. Now I dropped the engine in and got a new wiring harness but had to get someone to put it in because of time. He said he couldn't get it to turnover because the crank sprocket was advanced. So he put it back to 0 degrees.It runs alright but it does not seem like power is where it should be.

I am wondering if the crank sprocket should actually be advanced the 4 degrees or so, and if it was actually some other reason it would not turnover. I just do not want to pay to get it advanced again and have it not start. Any help in this area would be great. Thanks

Unread 04-19-2002, 10:18 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Crower makes a number of cams with different grinds. You need to find out what cam you have and call the company and find out what their recomendation is. Usually only cams with radical grinds need to be advanced via the timing chain. It is possable that he has made a mistake. You might make sure the ignition timing is right for the cam also.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.