Cam Help for Ashley's 304 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cam Help for Ashley's 304

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #61
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Ahhh, the joys of a cam swap with the engine still in the car. Your legs look like a deer by the time you're done leaning over the fenders and batterys make a pretty risky tool tray

Shawn

Unread 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #62
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Ahhh, the joys of a cam swap with the engine still in the car. Your legs look like a deer by the time you're done leaning over the fenders and batterys make a pretty risky tool tray Shawn
Shawn,

That's a great point.

I bet the cam bearings are also a real treat to install with the engine in place, as well.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #63
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I bet the cam bearings are also a real treat to install with the engine in place, as well.

Matt
That isn't something I'd attempt. I know me well enough to know that at least one of those bearings will find its way into the pan.

Actually, it'll never hit the pan. It will sit nice and neat on top of the crank and I wouldn't be able to get it without pulling the whole engine apart.

Nope, I'll leave the bearings alone unless a full rebuild happens. My butter fingers can't be trusted.

Shawn

Edit: Hey Matt...
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #64
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Engine is out of the Jeep on a stand

Thanks for the ignition advice-awesome

The machine shop is 3 weeks out for any work and there is only one in town-he is building all the race engines for the racers in town.

I can look over the bearings and if no wear then ....... since the bearings are not cam specific meaning, not a matched set.

Tried to find a LOOOOOG bolt to get the cam out-real fine thread and can't find one yet.

As for the cam gear, is that pressed on or ?

What is an easy way to remove it?

Thanks again for all the help guys, we need it,
Jim

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #65
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

The cam gear and fuel lobe will pull right off well the 2 I have done recently did.
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #66
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Thank you!

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #67
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Hey guy's, I have another stupid question.

In regards to the Cam bearings.

Since I have to remove the pistons to get to the Cam bearing I will have to ream the cyl tops-will this affect anything in the future, and, does she drive it like normal?

The rings are already seated so the carbon would just have to build back up again, correct?

Sorry, when I don't know (and that's a lot), I have to ask.

Jim

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #68
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jim,

If you can catch a finger nail on the carbon ridges, they will have to be reamed to get the pistons out.

Be advised, however, that it's extremely easy to take too much material when using the ridge reamer. I made that mistake on mine. My machinist told me that my cylinders would not have needed boring had I been a little more careful removing the ridge.

Matt
engineinnards2.jpg   engineinnards3.jpg  
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #69
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Wow, thanks, so if you remove too much then the piston won't seat or will the compression be off?

I just called the machine shop:
Dropping off the block on Monday.

He will hot tank the block-60 bucks.
Install cam bearings-44 bucks, plus he is buying them so I get the right ons.

She has to pull the pistons (we are both learning here on this part) and Cam. Good time for a rear main seal as well.

Question on RMSeal. Do you apply any RTV or to the seal. I replaced on one time and it leaked. Then one day we had to pull the old motor and I couldn't get the seal out-I used Super 300 black on it and since the block was junk, I use a screwdriver and still it wouldn't come out. Never do that again.

Which seal MFG do you use-FelPro?

Thanks again for helping us out,
Jim

Unread 08-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #70
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

At this point, maybe I should have him hone the cylinders and put new rings in. She is 20 over but we will see when she pulls the pistons.

I can still see cross hatch on the cyl walls so I guess she is still good.

Didn't burn a drop of oil.

Unread 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Wow, thanks, so if you remove too much then the piston won't seat or will the compression be off?Thanks again for helping us out,

Jim
As long as the reamer takes metal out above the travel of the top ring, it isn't a big deal. Taking just barely enough out to get the job done is always best though.

I've always had the best luck using a dab of gasket sealer (not RTV) on the rear main parting lines. I've offset the parting line from the main cap before but that's probably silly. What always concerns me when using an old crank is whether or not there's a wear mark on the journal where it contacts the seal. If so, it doesn't usually matter how you install the seal.

Shawn
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #72
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I thought I would add about the ridge. It gets removed so as to not break a ring land (sp) when removing the piston. The ring land is the part of the piston that separates the rings.

I'm not say yours needs removed Jim, just why it is.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #73
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jim,

I used a bit of RTV on my Felpro RMS, as well. Be sure that the seal lip faces inward.

Good luck, and keep us informed on your progress.

Matt
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #74
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

OK thanks everyone. A little gasket sealer etc and check the ridge first.

The machine shop said I need to remove the pistons/crank, so I thought while at it, hot tank that baby.

Question, (sorry guys-you might be getting tired of questions). When she removes the crank and if a bearing is scored, can we just order new ones or does the crank have to be turned (if).

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. When done, I just might swap her my 360 !!!!!!!!!!!! But she won't go for that. At least now she will know about tearing down an engine-thanks to you guys.
I asked her to read this thread as well. She's been very busy at work and I'm trying to help her out.

Unread 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #75
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Question, should I have Ashley clean the tops of the pistons since everything else will be clean-they are not that dirty/carbon build up.

I would say yes.

Thanks,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.