Cam Help for Ashley's 304 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cam Help for Ashley's 304

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #31
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I look at a cam's duration @ .050", not what they advertise the duration as. Apples to apples.
I certainly mean no disrespect but there's a lot more to it than that.

Take, for example, two cams that are 220* @ .050. One has an advertised duration of 280 and the other one at 268. The 268 will make more low-end torque, produce more manifold vacuum and have better throttle response than the 280. The 280 will probably rev a little higher but that will come at the expense of the things I just mentioned. Harvey Crane referred to that as "hydraulic intensity".

That's one of the reasons that I never recommend one of those old cams from Summit.

Shawn

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #32
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

OK thanks again. I was forwarded this link but the duration ? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2132

But after reading, seems like she should go w/this Cam/recommended Lifter/Spring set up unless the new link is ok - http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=A8CAMSHFTXE

Thanks again-I know nothing about Cams and .... So I want her to have the correct items so she will be happy.

Jim

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #33
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I am liking this thread. Lots of info! There ain't nothing that sounds like a cam hitn' a little. I have been using Valvoline VR1 racing oil in my 304. The only thing, I can find it in anything but 20w 50. I was told it was the only one left with the zddp or whatever. I will have to check those other oils out. For what it's worth Jim and just to throw you in more to ponder. I called the guys at Bullet Racing cams. To me, they were nicer than the guys a comp (I called them too). They set me up with a split duration 256/263. Since my motor ran fine and I didn't do any work the heads I am thinking the lift is .447. I would have to look at the specs to be sure though. It hits a nice little lick and so far runs great. I feel for you on choosing one. I hadn't found this forum when I picked mine out and I went back and forth 100 times! Wish I would have had these guys in my corner then! Best I can tell about a cam is that the bigger one you get the less low end torque you loose.

edit: sorry, that should be the more low end torque you loose.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #34
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

You'll be far happier with the Comp than the "Edelbrock" cam. Trust me, I won't steer you wrong

Compare the advertised duration, duration at .050 and total lift between the Comp and the cheapos from Summit and you'll see what I mean. Those old things are lazy, lazy, lazy! You know those engines that sound decent and make a ton of noise when you rug the throttle but don't seem to do a whole lot?

Shawn
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #35
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Understood Shawn, I will recommend the 260 Comp Cam and call them for matched lifters/valve springs and keepers.

Should I have her buy the push-rods as well or use stock?

Do I have to give them a measurement or ?

I'm really sorry for all the questions but I don't know, and I don't want my daughter mad at me J/K

P.S. Yes Bradly, this is some great info and these guy's are awesome and help me out all the time. -- should be a stick for the AMC 304 guys IMHO-just a thought.

AMC 304 Cam choices

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #36
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Maybe I can show here these rockers - http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=A8CAMSHFTXE

But then are we going to far ?

When she sees 15-30 more HP she might jump on it. I am putting a 360 in her brothers '74 CJ5 and she want's to out do him w/her 304-somewhat. Her's will still sound better as his is a stock 360 for now.

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #37
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Ashley keeps telling me she wants to be able to off-road w/no problems/engine problems of power etc. I told her this is why we are doing what we are doing.

I keep referring her to the Ford commercial:

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Understood Shawn, I will recommend the 260 Comp Cam and call them for matched lifters/valve springs and keepers.

Should I have her buy the push-rods as well or use stock?

Do I have to give them a measurement or ?

I'm really sorry for all the questions but I don't know, and I don't want my daughter mad at me J/K

P.S. Yes Bradly, this is some great info and these guy's are awesome and help me out all the time. -- should be a stick for the AMC 304 guys IMHO-just a thought.

AMC 304 Cam choices
I've gotten away with some pretty crazy stuff with stock, SBC push rods but I've seen far too many bent push rod posts on this forum so I'll leave that up to you and whatever your gut tells you.

AMC didn't make your life easier by locking your rocker arms down either. I'd use one of Comp's push rod tools, run it up to zero lash, add .030 to it and order up customs... or something along those lines.

I almost did a 304 cam thread over the weekend but opted out. I just had the chance to go over all of the engine and head flow specs with Vizard and run it through his Cam Master program. The recommended cams were quite a bit different from what's on the shelf.

Problem is, I don't have a 304 and Santa (the rat-b*stard) hasn't brought me a dyno yet and I won't use you guys as guinea pigs so I left it alone. I'm currently talking with a guy on here who may be willing to go the custom cam route so maybe he'll be able to post up some results fairly soon.

Shawn
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #39
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thank you-Guess we will use her old rockers.

Thanks,
Jim

Unread 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I forgot to look at your link. Those are great rockers if the budget allows. I didn't even know you could get them for an AMC.

Shawn
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #42
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

So with this set up, how much HP/Torque will she get? Not sure how to figure that one out.

I called Comp and he said the Cam/Lifters/Rockers matched.

Cam: 10-214-5 http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=A8CAMSHFTXE

Lifters (not sure if these are the right ones for the Cam, have to call): 822-12
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=A8CAMSHFTXE

Rockers: 1442-16 http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=A8CAMSHFTXE

Valve Springs: 940-16 (have to measure hers I guess)
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=A8Valve

Have to figure out the push-rod length.

Thanks,
Jim

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #43
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I think an honest 250 HP and 300 ft/lbs isn't out of the question. It should run well

Shawn
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #44
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Wow-isn't the stock 304 2bbl only 125 HP?

I guess she might need to transplant that TF-999 w/the 727 we have sitting in the Waggy we are parting out.

She is gonna freek, but love it !

I'll let her know how much a stock 360 2bbl is so she can rub it in her brothers face - hahahaha

Awesome,
Jim

Unread 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Question, when setting this up in regards to the valve lash-is there any seeing that she will have Hyd lifters?

And is it true that she should soak the lifters over night in the break-in oil?

Should she pump them up w/a push-rod while they are in the oil?

Thanks,
Jim

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.