Cam Help for Ashley's 304 - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cam Help for Ashley's 304

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 09-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #151
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Personally, Jim, I'm a double-flusher

I don't get more than an hour or two after the break-in flush before it gets dumped and another filter installed. Then no more than 500 miles and it gets another change. From there, whatever normal cycle you prefer.

That's just me, though.

Shawn

Unread 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #152
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'll call Shawn's double-flush and add another.

I've changed mine 3 times in the first 3K miles.

Probably overkill, but I wasn't taking any chances after all the coin I dropped on the build.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #153
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Another thought, Jim. Do you have a dial-back timing light or a balancer with the timing degrees marked out to over 40*?

If so, when you fire it up and get it over 2000 rpm, get the timing light on it and make sure it's reading between 40 and 45* of timing. We don't care about the balance of centrifugal to vacuum advance, what the curve is or whether it's on ported or manifold vacuum at this point, we just want to make sure that you have enough timing in the engine at the break-in rpm to keep if from dumping unnecessary heat into brand new rings, exhaust valves, guides and seals.

You can come back and adjust all of that stuff later. This is just for the break-in.

Shawn
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #154
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

OK, sounds like we are a double flusher as well

Shawn, we do not have a timing light or a balancer tape and not 100% sure I understand. I get the theory but .

Since we are on the topic of timing:

1. Which cylinder head AND valve is the intake (second one/small valve) ? D-Side Cyl head right.

So if I set the #1 piston on TDC and look at both lifters to be ?? (level w/the block=closed, right)(I can also look at the valve stems and rockers to be the same), then I am at TDC-I can then look at the H-Balancer to see if I am in time-then add the tape ?

Thanks,
Jim

Pics coming.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #155
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Ok now the fun begins.

Note: the machine shop said to run the Break-in oil for 500 miles.

Cam break-in for 30 min then change the filter and add one Qt of the 10w30 for another 500-1k miles ( depending on how we want to do it).

Unread 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #156
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Well, like Matt mentioned on the break-in oil thread a day or two ago, everyone's got their own tweak on the process.

Personally, my oil gets dumped after the initial break-in. The filter is cut open and inspected for anything other than what looks like Barbie had a little glitter party in there. If it passes, it gets new oil and a new filter for no more than an hour or two (this would include several light to medium-throttle runs from 2,000 rpm to maybe 4,000 rpm) and is dumped along with another filter inspection. From there, new oil and filter and no more than 500 miles. Repeat.

That's just me, though. I'm getting anxious to hear it and I sure hope she likes the cam

Shawn

Edit: Yes, TDC on the compression stroke will have both lifters bottomed out. How's the short block look? Purdy?
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #157
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thanks Shawn-will pass on the info.

Future posts will be on her build posting unless etc.

We will post the final break-in here and on her original post.

Thanks again for all the help guys,
Jim & Ashley

Unread 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #158
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

P.S. She just ordered these front fenders - http://www.ccfabs.com/store/#!/~/pro...=0&id=24092357 Free Shipping. Same ones we installed on Jr's '74.

Not her Jeep, just a pic off the mfg web site.

Unread 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #159
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Very cool.

Hey, I was told recently via PM that I "take over threads". I sure never meant to and I hope you don't feel that way. I was just giving you my experiences and opinion. Either way, I can't wait to see a video of it running

Shawn
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #160
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Very cool.

Hey, I was told recently via PM that I "take over threads". I sure never meant to and I hope you don't feel that way. I was just giving you my experiences and opinion. Either way, I can't wait to see a video of it running

Shawn
Hey-Jack Don't you worry about that and or taking over my threads-I don't see it. You have my permission to take over any thread of mine as far as the context goes and trying to help us you all have been very helpful and we (my family) really appreciate it.
Most people just won't bother because they have either heard it before or answered the same question before.
I wonder how many people were born w/all this Jeep knowledge and how many learned the same way I do/people on this forum from people on this very post helping.

IMHO you all just keep doing what you are doing and thankfully there are people like you who will help/tell it like it is so someone like my daughter doesn't spend a ton of cash or do something that she will regret.

We will post a few videos when we get that far and

Jim

Unread 09-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #161
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Shawn taking over threads thats a good one guess it takes all kinds but I myself cannot wait to see her driving the Jeep.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #162
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Question-Do I need to put Assembly Lube on the cylinder walls before I crank it/turn it over (if the machine shop didn't do it) ?

I am going to put it on the valve stems etc.

Machine shop already put it on the cam/crank.

Tomorrow is the big assembly day, or getting started.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. This engine builder builds all the circle track race engines in this area and in know to be very good.

Ashley's build thread - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/as...4-auto-1441950

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #163
bruteboy

no assembly lube should be used on the cylinder walls as it would gum up the rings.only a light coating of oil if the engine is going to be stored and not run right away.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #164
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thank you very much

Unread 09-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #165
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Not that I don't trust the machine shop what kind of guarantee do the give on the crank install you guys are doing so much that it makes sense to check the crank with plasti gauge but thats just me at the least put a torque wrench on the main caps and check them.

I am paranoid that way sorry carry on more pics unwrap that block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.