JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Cam Help for Ashley's 304 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cam-help-ashleys-304-a-1560268/)

Rollbar 08-10-2013 12:42 AM

Cam Help for Ashley's 304

My daughter needs a cam and here is what she has. She is going to get a matched set (I guess you call it that), or a set of new lifters and valve springs.

1980 CJ7
3spd Auto
3.54 gears
31" tires (she says she doesn't want to go bigger)
Edelbrock performer intake
Edelbrock 4bbl 1406 carb
Fenderwell headers
Flowmaster exhaust mufflers (split system and no cross over)

She is looking to install a RV cam but we are not sure which one to buy with her set up.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

dg6772 08-10-2013 01:14 AM

If you contact comp. cams,they can help select the best cam for your setup,

Dave in Muskegon

swatson454 08-10-2013 06:31 AM

This one is about as goof-proof as you can get. Lunati 250

And this one might give her a tiny bit of "sound", if she wants it. Comp 256 This one would like her intake and headers ;)

Hope it helps.

Shawn

Rollbar 08-10-2013 10:30 AM

Thank you,

Yep she like the motor boat sound. :)

Question(s).

If she changes out her Cam does she need the break-in oil in a older engine?

Also, does she have to change out the Cam bearings if they are good (never done this before so thanks).

Can she use the same push rods? We were going to replace the valve springs while doing the head.

Jim

petey156 08-10-2013 10:43 AM

New cam needs breaking oil.
Lube the new cam up, install it and see if it sprins freely.

Yes keep the old push rods, make sure they are straight

Rollbar 08-10-2013 10:45 AM

Thank you very much,
Jim

swatson454 08-10-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollbar (Post 15778388)
Thank you,

Yep she like the motor boat sound. :)

Question(s).

If she changes out her Cam does she need the break-in oil in a older engine?

Also, does she have to change out the Cam bearings if they are good (never done this before so thanks).

Can she use the same push rods? We were going to replace the valve springs while doing the head.

Jim

The EPA has done a fantastic job of turning our oil into garbage. Even the industrial blends like Rotella are already on the chopping block and aren't the oils they were a couple of years ago.

I'd highly recommend running Brad Penn 10W-30 for break-in and either their 15W40 or 20W50, depending on your summer heat and oil pressure, for the final or Joe Gibbs BR, now "Driven" oils for break-in and HR-1 for the final.

I know it's more expensive but not nearly as bad as a wiped-out cam. Think of it as cheap insurance.

Wix, Napa Gold and K&N oil filters are the way to go, as well. What ever you do, don't break the cam in on one of those orange things. You should be able to cross-reference the K&N number over to a Mobil 1 and save a couple of bucks. They're the same filter.

It's always a good idea to mic the bearings and journals to make sure nothings out of whack but I'm just as guilty of a cam swap without even looking at the cam bearings as the next guy :shhh:

Shawn

Rollbar 08-10-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks, I use the Wix/NPA Gold filters.

What is the Orange thing

Thanks for the break-in oil-will it say on the bottle how long to leave it in ?

After that I was planning to run some Zink additive on all my Jeep engines-what say ye?

I did try Motor Kote in a old engine to try it and the temp dropped and the engine ran a lot quieter.

I think I will add it (Motor Kote) to Alyssa's '65 CJ5 Navy Jeep/4cyl for her first start up.

Thanks again for the help, I will let Ashley know.

We are going to pull the cam this morning and look down the bearing surface to see if they are good or not - 140K on engine IF the OD is right - who knows, but it does not burn oil at all.

Thank you again,
Jim

petey156 08-10-2013 11:18 AM

Orange filter is a fram. They suck. I live by napa gold filters. They are rebadged wix filters

swatson454 08-10-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollbar (Post 15778488)
After that I was planning to run some Zink additive on all my Jeep engines-what say ye?

Thank you again,
Jim

We're getting a little deeper into the pool than my knowledge allows but I know fo sho that guys "in the know" do not like additives. The general consensus is that it screws up the additive pack that the oil engineers intended and you end up with a composition that's often worse than the base oil. Don't you just love chemistry :drool:

I know some dirt-track racers that use Brad Penn exclusively and a custom cam designer that recommends it for all of his flat-tappet grinds. Joe Gibbs also spent a few years and a couple of million dollars coming up with their blends when all of the Cup cars started wiping out cams when this whole ZDDP issue started.

You might be fine but I'd sure hate to see you rebuilding the engine over it. For me, a case or two of those oils I linked on the garage floor and the piece of mind would be worth the extra money.

Shawn

Rollbar 08-10-2013 12:16 PM

Agreed-thanks and yes the Orange thing stinks.

I'll have to look on JG site to see where the dealers are.

Thanks again.

Going to find a long bolt that will fit the cam so I can get it out.

spottedfrog 08-10-2013 02:33 PM

On the subject of what oil to run with a "cam" is there a synthetic that is recommended?

Rollbar 08-10-2013 04:22 PM

OK guys, NEW INFO.

A friend of mine just miked the cyl walls and the book calls for 3.75.

Her cyls are 3.95, or he said 95.

So he said they about 30 over (I don't know/remember all the numbers he tossed out but he did say 30 over).

The motor must have been bored at one time, that is why I kept seeing crosshatch in the cylinders.

Question, does this make a difference in Cam choice?

Next Saturday Ashley is going to do a three angle valve job.

Thanks,
Jim

petey156 08-10-2013 06:48 PM

3.75 inches =95mm. If it measured. 95, It's not bored over.

I would stay with the rv cam choice.

Rollbar 08-10-2013 07:03 PM

He called back and re-calculated-Ashley's motor is 20 over.

She is going to look at the two choices tonight, but first we are going to shoot my AK that the kids bought me for working on/teaching them their Jeeps.

I guess I need to tell them they need to buy some for you all since you all help me :)

Thanks again,
Jim

The time now is 01:31 PM.