Cam gear oiling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cam gear oiling

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
olaf-inge
1986 CJ7 

Cam gear oiling

Hi.
I put in a proform Hei and it eat up my cam gear. So new MSD gears are ordered. My qestion are : i want to mount a extra oil line that oils the gears properly. Can i just conect it to the oilpressure sender unit an use tubing up outside the timingcover on drill a hole in top of it så the oil pours down over the gears. Or will i loose al my oil pressuere then ??????

olaf-inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would be extremely careful about tapping into the pressurized oiling system and routing unregulated oil flow to basically the "oil pan". I think you'll see an unacceptable drop in oil pressure.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

Also, oiling issues aren't the cause of your cam gear being eaten up (you can thank the crappy hardened steel gear on your HEI for that). You didn't mention what engine you've got but I assume its a V8 if you can replace the gear and not the cam. Regardless, the stock oiling system of either the V8 or I6 engine is adequate for keeping internals lubed properly. I have heard of oiling issues in the AMC V8's but not with any regularity and not when pertaining to non-racing appplications. IMO, replace the gears and don't worry about it.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
olaf-inge
1986 CJ7 

Its a amc 360 engine. I se the problem with the gears now , i have read a lot about diferent materials on the gears in this forun , to bad i didnt read it before i install my new HEI. But if i understand other writers correct so is MSD gears the way to go. Regarding the extra oiling i se now that it wil result in dropping oil pressure.
Unread 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
chainz
1976 CJ5 

Yea the other two people were pretty close I do not think it is an oiling issue at all the gear on the cam is not as hard as the gear on the distributor this happens to any engine when you upgrade the distributor not just AMC's.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
dwloop
1976 CJ5 

Just one note, be sure and check your cam sprocket oil passage is open when you replace that cam gear. If it has flash in it, or is mis-aligned it will starve the gear as well... Just search for it, it has been discussed at length.

HTH

Dave
dwloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
olaf-inge
1986 CJ7 

Thanks folks .-). I have checked the passages , and its okey. I run Edelbrock chain and it seems to be working nice. So now i just have to wait on my new MSD gears to arrive :-)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.