Call me stupid but... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Call me stupid but...

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-27-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
Hale

Call me stupid but...

Well I was working late last night, and I came up with an idea and I am wondering how feasible it would be....

Here's what I was thinking, take a wrecked GMC syclone or typhoon that had good drivetrain stuff, and put it all into a Jeep. I mean yeah yeah most people build up Jeeps for offroad, but I came from a turbo car, and well turbos are fun too. This would change it to a street beast, and well, would make any ricer want to kill themself after they lost to a JEEP!

For anybody that doesn't know, the Syclone and Typhoons are based off the S10 and S10 Blazer line (whatever GMC calls them s15 and s15 jimmy maybe?). They have the 4.3 with a pretty hefty turbo, and AWD. The syclone runs like a 13.5 stock and Typhoon runs a 14 flat. 0-60s are like 4 seconds. Very nice street trucks to say the least.

Think it could be done for about the same as any build-up for strict offroad Jeep?

Yeah you can just call me stupid for the idea...but it'd be different than anything I've seen? But i'd enjoy feedback.

Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

Well, I am surprised that nobody has flamed you so far. I'm not flaming you but I know that most people in the CJ world would think that you idea is a waste of a perfectly good off road vehicle. It's okay to take a CJ and fix it up to look agressive and put a *****en paint job on it, then never take it off road but to do what you are thinking of doing you'd have to modify the suspension to handle the speed, lower it and put plastic air dams, spoilers and such on it. Then, you'd probably think it's cool to put those bright transparent lights and blue lights all over the place and before you know it, it doesn't even resemble a CJ. Oh, also you'd have to get rid of the xfer case, get rid of the front axle and driveline because those would just rob horsepower. You'd be better off just transplanting a CJ body on that wrecked syclone or typhoon. But, to each his own.
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Hale

wow im shocked i haven't gotten flamed yet either...haha but spoiler and h4 lights would be too far.
Unread 11-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #4
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

Why not just take a cj, throw some decent rears under it. Build and drop in a high powered V8 and then go offroading and still blow the doors off of rice rocket. And that would be with 35 inch tires. Now that would the ideal.

But to each his own. Just use a fiberglass body, that way when your done with it and cant sell it i would buy the body.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 12:31 AM   #5
Hale

well im not acutally going to do this...was just a crazy idea i had thought up...and was wondering if it could even be done..or if anybody had ever seen anythign done like it...?

I wouldn't do this, because my stepdad wants me to sell him the Jeep when he gets back from Afghanistan next Fall, so he can use it as a hunting beater truck, so he doesn't mess up his '03 z71.

But here's another dilemma that I'm kinda in....the syncros between 2 of my gears are going out on my 4spd (dunno the model because it came out of a different CJ7) and I absolutely have hated long throw shifts, which is why I orginally turned down getting any manual s10 trucks when I bought the supra....so would it be worth it to find a used auto tranny and slap it in there? and i couldn't find any info on the auto tranny that came with the 258 can anybody tell me what it is?

i know my post just took a completely 180degree turn but ah well
Unread 11-29-2003, 07:06 AM   #6
cjryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale
i know my post just took a completely 180degree turn but ah well
Congrats on the 180 Hale, and congrats to the Forum for showing incredible restraint after the initial post.
If your stepdad wants the Jeep, my bet is he'll want the four speed even if it needs rebuilt.
I wouldn't mess with it other than to rebuild it in the mean time.
FYI, last time a guy talked about a tuner Jeep here, the flaming lasted a week. Great entertainment.
Unread 11-30-2003, 05:45 PM   #7
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

I remember that flame job.....
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 08:32 PM   #8
ImNotRyan

well the axles under the syclone and typhoon wouldnt hold big tires, or any size tire under a CJ for that matter... better off to slap in a ford 9" or something that likes onroad abuse - does the syclone use IFS or a solid front? the suspension wouldnt like the launches or the high speed... axle wrap would be a phenominal issue untill you got some 4 link stuff... and in the end - why not build a 401 to scream like that 4.3 never could... sure a 401 is expensive, but the 4.3 in the typhoon is no cheap piece to modify or tune either... i spend alot of time at tracks, and around syclones and typhoons and they are far from bullet proof. alot of guys have problems with vibration from the front, and end up running 2wd with the front DS disconnected anyway - the 700R4 ****s itself constantly from the 3500 RPM launches under a bar of boost pressure. They are amazing machines - but they are alot more work and money at their present age than a comparably quick ford, chevy, or mopar v8 setup. if money is no issue and coolness is key - than go ahead, youll be the only one on the block with it. Just food for thought.

Edit - by the way the transmission in back of a 258 was the TF999 (torqueflight)

Last edited by ImNotRyan; 11-30-2003 at 08:59 PM..
ImNotRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.