Caliper paint for underside of replacement fenders? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Caliper paint for underside of replacement fenders?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
rbunch4468
1983 CJ5 

Caliper paint for underside of replacement fenders?

I am considering using the ceramic caliper paint to coat the underside of replacement part ( taiwan) steel fenders. I am looking for a surface that is durable to chips & rust...does anyone have experience with ('off label') application of caliper paint for something like this?

Else, I could POR-15, or use chassis coat....just wondering if the ceramic feature of caliper paint would be more chip resistant.

rbunch4468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

No idea why you would use caliper paint instead of a product intended for the purpose? Look at Gravi-Tex from U-Pol, it is designed to do exactly what you are looking for.
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
rbunch4468
1983 CJ5 

I started researching Gravi-Tex this morning. I had not heard of this product before. That is one of the main reasons for my original post. Thanks for the referral.

Who on the Forum has used this product and can attest to its durability? I am looking for something that dries hard, can be washed...not a viscous undercoating.

thanks!
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

what is Gravi-Tex? I was going to mention just using a 2 coat application of undercoating, always worked before..
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbunch4468
I started researching Gravi-Tex this morning. I had not heard of this product before. That is one of the main reasons for my original post. Thanks for the referral.

Who on the Forum has used this product and can attest to its durability? I am looking for something that dries hard, can be washed...not a viscous undercoating.

thanks!
I used it, that's why i recommended it. It dries hard and can be washed, its not an oil based tar undercoating, it is a rock resistant paint.
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
rbunch4468
1983 CJ5 

In researching different chip resistant paints, I came across this website which I found to be a very good tutorial on primers, paints, stone-chip resistant coatings, and metal repair/finishing.

I had not seen it before, and I thought others looking for a top level tutorial on body repair could get some use out of it.

As a bonus, there is a tab on welding body panels too. I am in the middle of one of these projects right now. I wish my Jeep's PO had read this website...I probably wouldn't be re-doing alot of this right now.

Did I mention that one of the fenders has a build up of bondo over 3/8" thick right over the top of a rusted through hole? Arrrrggh!

Here is the link http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/spray-painting.htm

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.