Is this caliper OK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this caliper OK

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Is this caliper OK

I was going to clean up and paint my front brake calipers, but found a alot of corrosion on the outer part of the caliper piston. Is this OK, or will it leak? Should I rebuild the calipers? I'm thinking that part of the piston doesn't go into the caliper any further, so it'll probably be fine, but I want to make sure before going to the trouble of cleaning and painting etc. Also, as the everything is taken apart ... how do I get the piston out further?

dsc03928.jpg
dsc03929.jpg

Thanks -

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
budgetCJ7
1979 CJ7 

Were they working when u removed them? Seal looks suprising good!! Is this for street use? If so I'd look into getting some rebuild ones just to be safe. I redid pads and brake lines only to find out i had small leak coming from piston ring, which made my drivers side not as affective as my passenger side. In turn my jeep was pulling bad when breaking!! I had to tear everything apart for a second time and get new calibers. I picked up referbs from advanced for $35 total after i got back core charge of $20 each. buy them online and look for online discount at retailmenot.com
budgetCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

If you don't have a reason for taking the piston out, don't mess with it. You could open up a can of worms.
Just clean everything up and throw some paint on it. That rust looks normal compared to every one I have ever seen.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Yes, they were working when I started my rebuild a year and a half ago. They've been off for a few months now, but I'm sure the corrosion was there already as the jeep had been sitting outside for a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
If you don't have a reason for taking the piston out, don't mess with it. You could open up a can of worms.
Just clean everything up and throw some paint on it. That rust looks normal compared to every one I have ever seen.
I'm thinking that's good advice! You think it basically looks normal ... Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear! Just wanted to make sure before going to the trouble of cleaning and painting!

Thanks again -
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

IDK about the 82, but I had the calipers off of my 78 today to do wheel bearings. I tried to push the piston in more to get them on easier, and it would only go in as far as yours is.
I thought the same as you did, they should push in farther. Doesn't seem like they do though.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

The real question is what does the piston look like when you extend it? The part that will ride on the seal. I replaced mine with remans for about 30.00 and they work great.
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Hey Paul!

Haven't gotten it extended as I haven't figured out how to do that yet ... the whole brake system is disassembled and I'm not sure I have anything to use to pump it out.

Best regards,
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 09-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

An air nozzle in the brake line hole will extend out the piston. Start with low pressure and work your way up. Keep your fingers out of the way and place a piece of wood in there so the piston can not come all the way out or you'll end up having to rebuild or replace it.

This is probably what you're looking at under that dust boot/seal.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

As cheap as rebuilt calipers are, I don't think I'd mess with cleaning those up, painting them, and then hoping they work okay when reinstalled. New/rebuilt calipers are good insurance and will already be sand blasted so they'll look good in paint.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
An air nozzle in the brake line hole will extend out the piston. Start with low pressure and work your way up. Keep your fingers out of the way and place a piece of wood in there so the piston can not come all the way out or you'll end up having to rebuild or replace it.
Thanks again Mike! Great sugestion - that's what I'll do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
As cheap as rebuilt calipers are, I don't think I'd mess with cleaning those up, painting them, and then hoping they work okay when reinstalled. New/rebuilt calipers are good insurance and will already be sand blasted so they'll look good in paint.
Thanks Eddie! Didn't know rebuilt calipers were all that cheap; I'll look into getting a set.

Thanks all!
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.