California laws? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > California laws?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-26-2003, 05:24 AM   #1
Skitz
1986 CJ7 

California laws?

Hey all,

I am looking into bringing a CJ to Cali when I move there in a few months. I am military so I will be registered and insured in idaho and I believe that makes me exempt from california emmisions laws (correct me if im wrong). I am trying to find out what other laws I will need to know about before heading out and getting a $1000 fix a ticket the first week their. IE lift laws, fender flares, noise, illegal parts/mods... just all the nazi cali quirks only the californias would understand.

-Me-

Unread 06-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #2
DaRaidz

Welcome to Cali...

Where will you be stationed? Is this a permanent move? If so, you need to get your rig registered in CA pretty quickly....that is one quirk DMV doesn't like. If you wait more than 10 days (I think) they will add fines. Other than that not many problems. There are no lift height restrictions (within reason....that I know of) and the flares are supposed to cover the tire, but in most areas this is not enforced with much passion. As long as there close and you look like a good person, they should leave you alone. As for the smog, many of the newer engines are already setup with CA smog equipment. I know the FED and STATE standards are the same for many years of CJ's. If all the original equipment is still on the engine (look for vacuum hoses!!) it should pass easily. This is one area that may differ based on where you register. If you are going to being living in a large city, they may be tougher. My suggestion is to hit a small rural area, filled with rednecks (like Yreka) and get it smogged there. They have the machines all hooked up with the STATE computers, but seem to be a little easier to work with. The same goes with DMV, easier to deal with and usually short lines. If you come to CA from ID down through I-5 give me a call and we'll go wheelin. Go out through Ontario, OR and down through Lakeview and KFalls. Then you'll hit Yreka.
Unread 06-26-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
Skitz
1986 CJ7 

Thank you all my questions have been answered,

I'm gonna be living somewhere in Humbodlt county. Probably Mckenilyville, Arcata or Eurika, but I will definately be makin a good amount of weekend roadtrips so I will take you up on some wheelin. Probably going to be getting there in august and staying till december, then I have to go to a secondary school for 5 months in E-city NC, then Im back to Humboldt for 4 years.

Oh and about emissions, I have just confirmed my emmisions loophole! Being that I am active duty military, I do not have to pass emmisions in order to renew my registration. The problem was, with me moving to california I was a little worried about their emissions. With this in mind I called both the local DMV and Air Quality board. When I purchase my CJ I will take it to my home of record (boise idaho) and do the sniffer. Once I pass and get my registration, I will never have to do another emissions test again! All i do is call the air quality folks when the time for my renewal comes, and tell them i am military and they just mark me clean. =) This means I can remove all my emmisions gear from my jeep. I can drive down the streets of bel air with black smoke blazing from my tailpipe and no one can ***** because no matter where I live I will still be registered in idaho. Since there are no units there, I know I will never get stationed in that state =) The best part is by the time I retire and I have to start doing emissions like everyone else, my jeep will be more that 25 years old. Now my ownly worry is if they start changin laws. Sorry so long, but I had to tell someone or I probably would have imploded.

-Any other BS Cali laws I might have to worry about?

-Me-

Last edited by Skitz; 06-26-2003 at 11:37 AM..
Skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
we4jeepn

You may want to check one more thing. In San Diego they were requiring a passing smog before they would issue a base sticker reguardless of where you were commong from or where it was registered. I got out a few years ago but I believe this to still be the case.
we4jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 02:57 AM   #5
Skitz
1986 CJ7 

Im Coast guard so I dont think ill have to worry about it, but I will definately look into it. Thanks for the heads up

-Me-

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.