California 4.0 OBDII Swap - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > California 4.0 OBDII Swap

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #46
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Yup, it was that simple!

I switched the wire, and it fired right up!

I'm getting some popping off idle. Not sure if it's due to running with no exhaust, or if the timing is off, or if it's something else...
As you know, timing would be related to the crank and cam sensor. If you got the crank sensor right I doubt you have a timing issue. Probably just the open header.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #47
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Ken, do you know where/how to plumb to the block for mechanical oil and water gauges?? Can't see where it would happen, and I prefer mech over electric.
I've got my mechanical oil pressure gauge plumbed to a "T" coming off the stock pressure sensor port.

I do not have any experience with mechanical temp sensors/gauges.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #48
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The mod you did for the temp sensor in the head... that's for an electric gauge, right? Not for engine controls? How much clearance (how deep) is that hole? Thanks for the pic on the oil sensor.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #49
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
The mod you did for the temp sensor in the head... that's for an electric gauge, right? Not for engine controls? How much clearance (how deep) is that hole? Thanks for the pic on the oil sensor.
That's correct, it's for the stock CJ temp gauge sending unit. It's about 1" deep.
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #50
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I've been looking for a connector for the VSS. Finally found one at Napa.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...165_0335244848
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #51
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

So?? Where are we??

Unread 08-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #52
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I called the exhaust shop last week. They said they were swamped at the moment, and to call back in two weeks...

In the meantime, I've cleaned up and sold my old Howell TBI, and an old Weber 38/38 I had to recoup some of the cost of the swap.
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #53
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I'm getting some popping off idle. Not sure if it's due to running with no exhaust, or if the timing is off, or if it's something else...
Well, I scabbed my old exhaust back on, just so I could do some troubleshooting without earplugs. With the exhaust back on, I am still getting severe popping/backfire as soon as I touch the gas. It's so bad, it won't rev past 1500.

I did some research and found that a faulty TPS may cause this behavior, so I checked it out. Mine checks out good, smooth transition from ~.75V at closed to ~4.8V WOT.

While researching, I realized I hadn't verified the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. So, I went down to AZ and borrowed their fuel pressure test kit. I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the rail and started the engine. 110psi!!! I thought the WJ fuel filter (Wix 33750) was supposed to cut that back to 49 or so?

So, I need to figure out how to get the pressure down. Either a different regulating filter, a standalone regulator, or maybe I can make an earlier XJ fuel rail (with integrated FPR) work.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #54
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Well, it turns out that my return line was pinched on top of the gas tank. Had to drop the tank to re-route the return line. With the line clear, I'm still getting ~60psi at the rail...

and still popping...
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #55
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Can you may want to look at putting on a earlier fuel rail that has a vacuum pull off on the fuel regulator. This should help with your high pressure on your fuel rail I know that later model jeeps had the fuel pressure regulator in the tank.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #56
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

yeah, I thought about that. The earlier rails/regulators are setup for ~35psi. The later setup needs 49psi.

Also, I think it may have something to do with the fact that I am using an aftermarket E2000-type external fuel pump (~120 psi?). If the stock in-tank pump with which the WJ filter/regulator is meant to be used puts out significantly less pressure (~75psi??), then my regulated pressure using the aftermarket pump would be higher than required, which is what I'm seeing. So maybe switching to an earlier rail/regulator would net the lower pressure I'm looking for.

Or am I not understanding how pressure regulators work?
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #57
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ida know, Ken. Gut told me there was something "amiss" with the WJ filter concept. I had bought one also when I was going OBDII. But I changed it all to OBDI for the greater ease of connecting everything. I am using the earlier model fuel rail. The fuel pressure reg is ridiculously expensive (for what it does)! I have read that it doesn't make a significant amount of difference about a few pounds of fuel pressure, so I would maybe not be too worried about that.

Why couldn't/wouldn't a ball valve on a return line work for pressure regulation? It works very well in irrigation. Seems like all you have to do is attach a ball/gate valve on the return line and adjust the amount of return to the tank. More return = less fuel rail pressure.

Unread 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #58
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Yeah, I was really concerned when I saw over 100psi. 60 is still high, but I don't think it should have as much negative effect as I'm seeing. I guess my next step is to get a code reader so I can see exactly what the computer thinks is wrong...
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #59
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well, 60 might be too high, and you could be flooding your cylinders with too much fuel. More pressure will deliver more fuel. I woud get it down to ~35ish...

Unread 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #60
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Well, 60 might be too high, and you could be flooding your cylinders with too much fuel. More pressure will deliver more fuel. I woud get it down to ~35ish...
The later MPFI system is designed to operate around 49psi rail pressure. Yes, 60 is still too high. But it's not that much too high...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.