California 4.0 OBDII Swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > California 4.0 OBDII Swap

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thank you, Ken.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I dove into the XJ wiring diagrams yesterday, trying to figure out where the "5 wires to fire" need to splice into the OBDII harness. As far as I can tell, only 4 of the 5 wires are required. The "run" wire described above (corresponds to the ballast resistor / fuel pump wires shown here) is not used for the OBDII system.

So, my "4 wires to fire" are:
CJ -> XJ
Batt(+) (Red) -> Batt Feed (Red/Bk)
Ground -> Ground
Start (Lt Bl) -> Start (Ylw)
Ign Feed (Red/Wt) -> Ign feed (Bl/Wt)
I missed one. The power for the emission purge solenoid and leak detection pump is a 18ga wht wire; circuit F20 in the FSM. This should be connected to the Ign Feed on the CJ. This circuit (F20) also feeds the fan relay and a/c clutch relay.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Working through hooking up the XJ Instrument Cluster to have a functioning Check Engine Light.... Beginning with the OBDII system in 1996, there is no longer a direct driver for a CEL from the ECM. The CEL driver is on a microprocessor in the instrument cluster, and is triggered via a CAN message sent from the ECM via the CCD bus. My intention is to have the XJ instrument cluster set up as a "black box" under the dash, and run leads to a CEL indicator in the dash. Below are the connector locations and pinouts for the XJ instrument cluster as found in the FSM. I've labeled the pins that I believe need to be connected to get basic CEL functionality.

Also, the OBDII datalink connector pinout. I believe all these need to be connected for full functionality.

edit: apparently you can get pigtails for the instrument cluster from the dealer. p/n:05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness . Less than $10 ea.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I ended up moving my purge solenoid and LDP up to the firewall. Got the TJ throttle cable put in.

All that's left is to wire up the alternator and starter, figure out an air cleaner, get some connectors for the gauge cluster and diagnostic connector. Then I should be able to drive it over to the muffler shop for a new exhaust, and it'll be good to go!
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Also finished getting the fuel system plumbed. I used an E2000 type external pump and WJ filter/regulator. The pump is mounted on the cross member in front of the tank, and the filter is mounted on the frame rail next to the rear passenger wheel. I changed the return line from the stock 1/4" to 5/16", and ran all new nylon fuel line to the engine.
I am using the same pump. It's not labeled for flow direction. It looks like, in your pic, the inlet side is the wiring side??

Would you show some pics of how you ran your fuel line up in the engine bay? I "plan" to bend and reuse the factory XJ metal line as far as I can, from the fuel rail back, utilizing the factory connector at the fuel rail. I haven't really investigated that yet, but I will know for sure pretty quickly! I want to see how you routed the line around to get to the fuel rail.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I am using the same pump. It's not labeled for flow direction. It looks like, in your pic, the inlet side is the wiring side??

Would you show some pics of how you ran your fuel line up in the engine bay? I "plan" to bend and reuse the factory XJ metal line as far as I can, from the fuel rail back, utilizing the factory connector at the fuel rail. I haven't really investigated that yet, but I will know for sure pretty quickly! I want to see how you routed the line around to get to the fuel rail.
The inlet is opposite the wiring (the right side of the photo). I ran my fuel line along the passenger side frame rail up to the firewall. There, I had it go up, follow the curve of the transmission hump at the firewall (behind the head), then forward under the intake. The black nylon fuel line is a little hard to see in some of these photos.

You can see in this one where I used a piece of old fuel line sliced long-ways to protect the new fuel line from the sharp seam at the bottom of the firewall.

Here you can see the fuel line running along the transmission hump seam at the bottom of the firewall behind the head.

And finally, here it is coming up from under the intake to meet the factory fuel rail connector.
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #37
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Here's a post about wiring a 2-wire VSS to a 3-wire harness.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ve...ensor-1144958/
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Great. Forgot about the VSS! Gotta do that too. Thanks for the link.

Routed our fuel lines up pass side and under the radiator. Thanks for posting the pics, Ken.

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #39
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

All that's left is to wire up the alternator and starter, figure out an air cleaner, get some connectors for the gauge cluster and diagnostic connector. Then I should be able to drive it over to the muffler shop for a new exhaust, and it'll be good to go!
As if it would be that easy...

I got to the point where the starter works properly, but I am not getting power to the fuel pump or ignition coil. When I check voltage at the Fuel Pump Relay, and the ASD relay, I get 12V at the B+ terminal as expected, but the ignition power lead (terminal 4) is 6.2V That is not enough to actuate the relays... I need to figure out why the ignition feed is so low.

I still need to get the gauge cluster and OBDII connector wired up so I can pull codes.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wow. What's the chance that I can actually help you for a change!?

So you have no power at the plug going into the coil? Or you have no spark coming out of the coil?

The fuel pump relay in my PDC does not, apparently, provide a wire that goes to the fuel pump. In my PDC, the fuel pump relay has two Gr/Bk wires (you have Gr/Wh)... one goes to the O2 sensor, the other goes to the ballast resistor bypass relay. From the bypass relay it turns from Gr/Bk to Gr/Wh and goes to the ballast resistor itself. It is a closed loop, and I can't figure out how to feed my pump! On the "Official 4.0 Swap Thread", another JFer told me he cut out his ballast resistor bypass relay and the ballast resistor altogether, twisted the wires (your Gr/Wh ones) together, and connected them to the pump with no issues. For me, I connected my fuel pump to 13B on the CJ BH connector for now. Do you have that same configuration?

You already know the end result of my trial, and mine happily ended when I discovered I had not attached my grounds. Check 'em up. Maybe you have something as simple as that too. Connecting the grounds enabled the spark at the coil and it powered up my ECM. I had actually cut the wires out when I was thinning the harness!

Finally, the E2000 is freaking amazing! It picked up fuel RIGHT NOW! Pretty quiet too.

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #41
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Well, I went out and traced a bunch of wires this evening. Grounds are all hooked up, nothing looks out of place or disconnected.
It turns out that the AC switch sense, and the Ignition Feed Circuit are both 18ga DB/WT wires. Guess which one I spliced into...:

It's too late to fix it tonight, so I'll do it tomorrow after work. Here's hoping it really is this simple .
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #42
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Wow. What's the chance that I can actually help you for a change!?

So you have no power at the plug going into the coil? Or you have no spark coming out of the coil?

The fuel pump relay in my PDC does not, apparently, provide a wire that goes to the fuel pump. In my PDC, the fuel pump relay has two Gr/Bk wires (you have Gr/Wh)... one goes to the O2 sensor, the other goes to the ballast resistor bypass relay. From the bypass relay it turns from Gr/Bk to Gr/Wh and goes to the ballast resistor itself. It is a closed loop, and I can't figure out how to feed my pump! On the "Official 4.0 Swap Thread", another JFer told me he cut out his ballast resistor bypass relay and the ballast resistor altogether, twisted the wires (your Gr/Wh ones) together, and connected them to the pump with no issues. For me, I connected my fuel pump to 13B on the CJ BH connector for now. Do you have that same configuration?

You already know the end result of my trial, and mine happily ended when I discovered I had not attached my grounds. Check 'em up. Maybe you have something as simple as that too. Connecting the grounds enabled the spark at the coil and it powered up my ECM. I had actually cut the wires out when I was thinning the harness!

Finally, the E2000 is freaking amazing! It picked up fuel RIGHT NOW! Pretty quiet too.
On the OBDII setup, there is no ballast resistor in the harness. The power goes through the fuel pump relay in the pdc and out to the pump.

The coil gets power through the ASD relay, as shown below. It grounds through the ecm.

I think the problem I am having is similar to what you had by not grounding your ecm. Except that instead of not connecting the grounds, I didn't connect the ignition feed, resulting in my ecm not "booting up." I'll confirm this when I get home tonight.
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Holding my breath......

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #44
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ken, do you know where/how to plumb to the block for mechanical oil and water gauges?? Can't see where it would happen, and I prefer mech over electric.

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #45
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Well, I went out and traced a bunch of wires this evening. Grounds are all hooked up, nothing looks out of place or disconnected.
It turns out that the AC switch sense, and the Ignition Feed Circuit are both 18ga DB/WT wires. Guess which one I spliced into...:

It's too late to fix it tonight, so I'll do it tomorrow after work. Here's hoping it really is this simple .
Yup, it was that simple!

I switched the wire, and it fired right up!

I'm getting some popping off idle. Not sure if it's due to running with no exhaust, or if the timing is off, or if it's something else...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.