California 4.0 OBDII Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > California 4.0 OBDII Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I had no problems with the CJ wiring schematics in the Chiltons, when we built the 5, but the wiring schematics in the Haynes XJ manual leave me scratching my head! I don't understand why I have such a significant problem with them, but I surely do! Thanks, Ken, for your assistance. This is important to a lot of folks.

Good job on figuring the wiring. We are still battling the CPS position on the bellhousing.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
CSP

Have you guys checked www.naxja.org for wiring diagrams. I've found that site to be very resourceful when helping my stepson with his MJ.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Have you guys checked www.naxja.org for wiring diagrams. I've found that site to be very resourceful when helping my stepson with his MJ.
I got the FSM here. Section 8W is 500 pages of wiring diagrams.

SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ken, what did you do for your cooling system? I read that I could keep my 258 water pump and entire cooling system, which I was planning to do. But the crank and alternator pullies are serp. How do I get around that?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #20
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Ken, what did you do for your cooling system? I read that I could keep my 258 water pump and entire cooling system, which I was planning to do. But the crank and alternator pullies are serp. How do I get around that?
I am planning on keeping the serp setup on the 4.0. However, I suspect that the crank snout is the same on the 4.0 and the 258, so you should be able to swap your crank pulley/balancer from the 258 to the 4.0. Same for the alternator pulley.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for confirming that. I was wondering! You're keeping everything XJ? Including the electric fan? Does that allow you to keep the CJ radiator?

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #22
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. I was wondering! You're keeping everything XJ? Including the electric fan? Does that allow you to keep the CJ radiator?
I had already done the Countour fans on my CJ a couple years ago. I'm planning to have those fans controlled by the XJ ECM. As I understand it, the setup is basically the same, except that instead of the fan relay grounding through a temp switch, it will ground through a switch in the ECM, which is in turn triggered by the temp sensor on the t-stat housing.
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The engine I picked up has the 0630 head. Apparently, some of these heads came drilled for a temp gauge sending unit, and some didn't. Mine did not. So, I drilled and tapped it myself. The boss is in the same place as on the 258 head, at the back on the driver's side. The tap size is 1/8" NPT.
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Also finished getting the fuel system plumbed. I used an E2000 type external pump and WJ filter/regulator. The pump is mounted on the cross member in front of the tank, and the filter is mounted on the frame rail next to the rear passenger wheel. I changed the return line from the stock 1/4" to 5/16", and ran all new nylon fuel line to the engine.

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh yeah... meat and taters! I have the same pump and (I think) filter. But I am also using the OBDI fuel rail with the regulator on the rail. Do you think I should change out the WJ filter?

Unread 06-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Oh yeah... meat and taters! I have the same pump and (I think) filter. But I am also using the OBDI fuel rail with the regulator on the rail. Do you think I should change out the WJ filter?
I would change it out for a simple inline filter. The WJ filter has an internal regulator so it'll work with the OBDII fuel rail. If you're using the OBDI fuel rail, with the integrated pressure regulator, I think it needs full pump pressure.
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Got the ECU and evap system in today. It all fits (snugly) on the drivers fender. The evap canister is mounted to the firewall in the same place the stock canister was. The solenoid and pump are mounted on brackets near-by. The ECU is tucked up under the overflow can where the stock ignition module used to be. I had to remove the back part of the harness connectors so they would clear the canister.
Here's a shot from above. The 4 wires draped over the washer reservoir will eventually be hooked up to the OBDII diagnostic connector and the XJ gauge cluster (so I can have a working CEL).

And one from below. You can see the purge solenoid on the left and the filter for the LDP on the right.

Now I just need to run the wires for the solenoid and pump from the other side of the engine bay (XJ stock location).
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Also, I started hacking up an XJ air filter box in an effort to make it fit in the CJ. This might work, or it might not... We'll see.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #29
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
The engine I picked up has the 0630 head. Apparently, some of these heads came drilled for a temp gauge sending unit, and some didn't. Mine did not. So, I drilled and tapped it myself. The boss is in the same place as on the 258 head, at the back on the driver's side. The tap size is 1/8" NPT.
I wanted to ask about metal filings from the drill bit... any problems with that? And this is for a mechanical water temp gauge?

Unread 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I wanted to ask about metal filings from the drill bit... any problems with that? And this is for a mechanical water temp gauge?
This is for the stock CJ Temp gauge. It uses a stand-alone sending unit. I just moved the sending unit from my original motor to the new one. As for the metal filings, I used a bit of grease on the end of the drill bit to help keep them under control. When I was done, I used a shop-vac with a reducing adapter on the end to vacuum up as much as I could get. Anything that's left is in the water jacket, not the oil galleries, so I'm not going to loose sleep over it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.