CA Smog Laws: Cali guys, need your input... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CA Smog Laws: Cali guys, need your input...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
DirtEater
1982 CJ7 

CA Smog Laws: Cali guys, need your input...

I have a 1982 CJ7 and would love to have a fuel injected unit someday, but for now I want to have a Weber 2bbl installed. Problem is, supposedly they're not 50 state legal.

CA smog laws if I'm not mistaken apply to all on road vehicles that are 1976 and newer which applies to me.

Ok guys, here's what I'm trying to find out. My neighbor has a '82 Porsche that he's been having trouble smogging and he claims that because his car is now 25 years old, he filed for "historical" plates and was approved and that a vehicle with "historical" plates is not required to be smogged regardless of the '76 or newer rules.

Anyone know if this is correct?

33" Toyo M/T's on Pro Comp Xtreme Series 1069
Borla header and Catback Exhaust System
Jeeperman bumper w/ Ramsey Patriot 8000 - Jeeperman tire carrier/bumper
DirtEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wrong, historic plates and smog requirements have nothing to do with one another. ANY vehicle (with the exception of MC's and Diesels) 1976 and newer must pass smog.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
slacker92104

I think you're just SOL on that weber in Cali. Of course the question becomes, will the smog guy notice the weber. Half of them don't even know what a carb is anymore anyway.
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the carb is only illegal if the guy looks for it and can identify it as a non-CARB compliant part.
Unread 12-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
DirtEater
1982 CJ7 

I was wondering if the smog guy would even notice visually. I'm willing to bet that the Weber would ofcourse run better than the Carter, but would also burn cleaner and show lower emissions too.
33" Toyo M/T's on Pro Comp Xtreme Series 1069
Borla header and Catback Exhaust System
Jeeperman bumper w/ Ramsey Patriot 8000 - Jeeperman tire carrier/bumper
DirtEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
T18A
1977 CJ5 

----------

Last edited by T18A; 05-17-2008 at 01:20 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
SkyHarborCowboy
1983 CJ7 

Find a friend in a good county in AZ or NM and get your DL and Registration there! Or get a business license from one of those states and register your car as a business vehicle that way CA cant bust you for having a CA DL and an out of state registration on your Jeep.

Joe

Joe

1983 Jeep CJ7 258 6 Cylinder with Weber Offroad Carb, HEI Ignition, Front and Rear Lock Right Lockers, Slick Rock Spring Hangers, 4" Suspension, Stainless Brake Lines and Quick Disconnects, TJ Flares, 33" BFG MT's, T5 speed (Soon To Be SM465 with Novak Adapter), Roll Cage, Smittybilt Double Tube Bumpers Front and Rear (They will be narrowed soon)
SkyHarborCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:12 AM   #8
David Richards

My jeep is regestered in another state. I have 3 years before I get satisfaction, but Sacramento is getting froggier by the day. I bought it there and it was smog exempt vehicle in that state but it was manufactured in California. You can figure the rest, Ok i"ll tell ya. In order to have it regestered here I would have to put it back to factory spec. I cant get any company to send an aftermarket cataletic converter to cali, and the part yards are baned from selling em. I was looking at installing the Mopar multi-port fuel injection on the CJ5. It touts itself as a 50 state legal system. It costs $2900, God only knows the red tape and trip to sacramento and countless dollars spent on getting your complaint to the right guy. So I am suspicious. There are custom motorcycle builders that cant conform to the EPA standards and are setteling for the fine rather than fight the DMV. There was or is a stip that lets you or I build a one of from parts and we get a free pass and get exempt status for a california size DMV charge. but now I have been hearing those are being challenged and are not getting regestered. I am not very well versed on how to get a hot rod to pass if it was a restoration or a one of but I leave you the phone # and contact name for you to hopefully find a resolution to your problem. The Revenue and Complaint dept for California DMV has a manager. He is Cory Keaulana 916-656-7884 I would hope that you submit a thread with some information, Its only getting worse from what I can tell. Good luck,D
Unread 12-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
lopezzi
1983 CJ7 

Yeah the Weber carb won't pass in CA. I put one on my 83 CJ7 when I still lived there, and NO ONE I took it to could get it to pass. I had to resort to swapping back to the original equipment to get it to pass, then swap back the weber to get my Jeep to run good. It was a pain. If you need to get your Jeep to pass, leave the stock stuff on until it passes, then swap and put the Weber on. It's actually not that hard of a process, just annoying.
lopezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
trukdj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Smogging a Weber

I have an 89 YJ 4.2L I just put Howell fuel injection on it and the smog legal kit (CARB approved) passes smog with no problems. The kit costs $1200 and takes about 3 days to install by yourself. This kit removes the pulse air and all but about 5 vacumm lines. It works great.
Before I went with the EFI I had a Weber K551/38 on my Jeep for 3 years and I got it to pass Smog. ( Smog requirements in Las Vegas are the same as Cali.) There are a couple tricks to do this. 1 When you buy your Weber also buy the adapter for the stock air cleaner. You can purchase this from Carbs Unlimited online. WWW.carburetion.com. 2 You must play with the jetting to get the carb to run lean enought to pass. This is time consuming and can have a little cost because you will have to buy the different jets and some carb rebuild kits for the top gasket for the carb. Also sold by Carbs Unlimited. 3 Make sure that all the vacumm lines and smog equipment are hooked up . The drawback is the Weber jetted to pass smog might run a little lean. After passing smog you can remove the stock aircleaner and adapter and put the box air cleaner back on.
trukdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Why? Over and over, I keep asking this question...

The BBD is totally fixable, totally reliable and will pass your states emissions. I don't want to go into it here... again, but if you look at some other posts it is all covered there.

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.