bypass fuel vapor canister? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > bypass fuel vapor canister?

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
row684
1984 CJ7 

bypass fuel vapor canister?

I just dropped a 360 in my 84 cj7 and looking at the fuel lines trying to figure out what to do... going with an electric because for the life of me I can't get the manual back in its hole, contacts the power steering brackets. I'm wanting to run the hose right from the pump to the filter but their is a canister on the fender that says tank, carb bowl, dist. vac., and pcv. (Fuel vapor canister??) none of my Cj's have had the canister before so should I hook it up as it says of just run it how I had planned? No emissions in this part of Utah but if its a safety issue I'll do it... Also dist. vac. already goes to the carb (holly 2bbl) so run it into a T there??
Its so much more complicated when you get older and start worrying about safety and complying with the law! lol

row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Yep, tee your disty vac line to give the canister vac signal. Then tee the PVC line which when the canister disty line gets vac signal it opens the canister PVC line allowing the purge of any vapors the third line got from you fuel bowl vent.

No more smelly garage and no performance hit.

My 78 also has a fuel tank vent that goes into the canister. But my canister is out of who knows what year jeep product and my four barrel does not have bowl vent lines to mess with.
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
row684
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice I'll do it that way
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
row684
1984 CJ7 

The vapor canister is plumbed into the return line correct? Wait, not the return from the filter, a 2nd return line from the carb itself?
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

On this style of system you have a closed fuel tank. It is vented by a third fuel line that pops up in the engine bay and you connect to that to vent the tank. Connect this line to the "tank" port on the canister.

The vaccuum feed to operate the system is teed off the pipe that goes from the carb to the distributor. Connect to "dist vac".

The other lines go to whatever else in there will leak vapours.

If you have a bowl vent on the carb (and it is a big iff) connect it to "carb bowl" or blank it off.

The last connection goes to the positive crankcase ventilation system. Where you connect it depends on whether you still have the TAC air cleaner on top of the carb.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
row684
1984 CJ7 

Ok think I got it, vacuum lines are done and there is a line to the tank already. I have an aftermarket Holley carb on it so I'm just going to plug the carb bowl line.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.