JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Bypass bad starter solenoid? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bypass-bad-starter-solenoid-681730/)

SeaWulf 01-28-2009 09:52 PM

Bypass bad starter solenoid?

I believe that my starter solenoid has gone bad. Before I replace it I want to be sure its bad. The battery drains in an hour and there is a soft buzz coming from the pass side engine bay. The starter gets power, but not enough to turn over the engine, thus leading me to believe its the solenoid. (already replaced the starter)

Anyway,

Can I bypass the starter solenoid to start the engine?

JeepHammer 01-28-2009 11:08 PM

I'd say starter relay (solenoid) switch.

The Relay is supposed to break the connection clean when you let off the key, but if things go wrong inside.... Who knows!

John Strenk 01-29-2009 02:36 AM

I use to use the old "Pliers" trick to bypass the relay but it gets exciting with sparks flying and big divots in your pliers handle.

A lot of times the battery cables have corroded to the extent they supply enough power to activate the solenoid but not enough to turn over the engine. I have to change cables evey few years on my CJ because of all the salt I play in.

You could measure the voltage across each cable to identify the bad one. (A resistance check wont work in this case unless your ohm meter uses 20 amps to measure the resistance :) ) or just pick up a set of new cables. 3ea.

SeaWulf 01-29-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Strenk (Post 6458056)
or just pick up a set of new cables. 3ea.

I already tried a new battery, starter, and cables, that's why I asked about the starter solenoid.

seagrave 01-29-2009 07:18 AM

It does not hurt to replace the starter solenoid. I just replaces mine last night for about $10 new.

SeaWulf 01-29-2009 07:26 AM

Can I get a picture of the solenoid showing which two posts to short? I just want to be sure I get it right

John Strenk 01-29-2009 10:50 AM

Oh you can't miss it.
Just the two biggest post with the biggest cables going to them.

Just make sure your not in gear before you short them together.

479AZ 01-29-2009 11:31 AM

If you jump power from the battery side of the solenoid to the small terminal closest to the front of the vehicle that should engage the solenoid. Inside it's just an elctromagnet that closes a big contact. If you jump across both large terminals you need to use a heavy cable since it will carry the total amperage needed to spin the starter. The other way just closes the switch.

SeaWulf 01-29-2009 05:57 PM

thanks for the tips guys!

Unfortunately I won't have a chance to look at the jeep again for a few day.

mcurcio1989 01-29-2009 08:28 PM

I am not sure if you live near any auto zones but I picked up a rebuilt stater for 20 dollars after the core return. They also have a life time warranty for about ten dollars so basically I'm set for life for thirty dollars. It's almost unbelievable. I would recomend just putting a new or rebuilt starter in i tant hurt and for 20 dollars its almost not worth the time of trying to verify that it is the starter. Just a thought. . .

SeaWulf 01-29-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 (Post 6463621)
I am not sure if you live near any auto zones but I picked up a rebuilt stater for 20 dollars after the core return. They also have a life time warranty for about ten dollars so basically I'm set for life for thirty dollars. It's almost unbelievable. I would recomend just putting a new or rebuilt starter in i tant hurt and for 20 dollars its almost not worth the time of trying to verify that it is the starter. Just a thought. . .

First thing I did along with a new battery and cables.

klr650 03-03-2012 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=SeaWulf;6464095]First thing I did along with a new battery and cables.[/QUO

sounds like it could be the voltage regulator check on that

Millerlite13 07-10-2013 11:25 PM

Really?

Ok man it's not what you think it is, really surprised no one has told you it's your alternator. Easy to check
1: get it runnin
2: disconnect the battery.
If it dies ,its the alternator. If you hear a clicking when you start it that mean the solenoid is ok and doing its job.

BagusJeep 07-11-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millerlite13 (Post 15664692)
Ok man it's not what you think it is, really surprised no one has told you it's your alternator. Easy to check
1: get it runnin
2: disconnect the battery.
If it dies ,its the alternator. If you hear a clicking when you start it that mean the solenoid is ok and doing its job.

I think in the last 4 years he may have fixed it. :fistlaugh:

texas1al 07-11-2013 09:43 AM

Be careful, a bad solenoid can eat up ignition modules if it's stuck. Might be a good idea to replace it soon.

The time now is 07:18 AM.