Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Buying a used 1986 CJ7

Tags
1986 cj7
4K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  LT1CJ7 
#1 ·
Hey all!
So I've found a guy that is willing to sell me his 1986 Jeep CJ7 with 4x4 for $900..
I've never purchased a new car and I\m wondering what type of questions I should be asking him, as well as what I should be looking for when I go to check out the car?
As much as I want to just trust the guy, I can't just go by his word... How much do you think this Jeep will reallly cost me? and how hard do you think it will be to get it fixed up? (if it needs it)

I'm looking for people who have like worked with/or are specialized in fixing up Jeeps and because this is an older model, im just worried that it will end up being a big fail.

If you can think of any other info about the Jeep, you can just add it into your answer... I want allll in info about it that I can get.

Thank a bunch guys! :wave:

#2 ·
Look for rust on the frame. And the body.does it run? $900 is cheap so I would think that it is going to need a lot of work. It depends on how much work you can do yourself .if going to pay someone to do the work for you. You mite want to wait until you can find something in good shape that you would not have to dump a crap load of money into.and if you do buy it and find its too much work you could always part it out and make your money back or even make a profit. It's just part of the game.

#4 ·
$900 is WAY too cheap. Why?

Look everywhere on the frame for rust. Look under carpet for rust. Be suspicious of bedliner. Bring a magnet and look for Bondo on the body. Unless the Jeep is pristine everywhere else, be suspicious of a new paint job.

Has the engine been swapped out or is it still original. If swapped, by whom?

What kind of shape is the wiring in? Do all the switches work?

Has it been wrecked? Follow it down the road and see if it tracks straight.

Check the 4WD and the hub locks.

$900 is scary cheap IMO.

#6 ·
$900 is a non running parts jeep price. You really need to find out more. In the long run it is ALWAYS cheaper to spend more on the initial purchase than spend less and try to get something road worthy. You can easily spend big $ just making it road worthy.

#7 ·
as mentioned, check the frame for rust/rot!!!!!! surface rust is ok but if you see cracks or rotted out holes, PASS! especially on the rear of the frame near the springs and rear cross member at the bumper.
check the body for rust. if you cant afford to buy new panels and weld them in, PASS! there are options for body swaps at around $300-800 which solves that problem pretty quickly though.

again, check how well it runs, drives, tracks, 4wd, steering play, suspension.
all can be fixed but are you willing to do the work yourself like the rest of us? if not, it'll cost too much.
ive done every bit of work on mine. purchaced for $1800 and im at over $4k now and still need a body swap, paint, and suspension. i havent done anything to make it pretty yet.

We're not trying to scare you away, just educate you and prepare you for an in depth project vehicle that we all absolutely LOVE!

take a ton of pictures and post them up here for some in-depth advice.

#9 ·
okay heres the picture i have for it... they say they have never been in an accident and its all the original parts inside... they have been driving it around to make sure it worka but i personally havent driven it.
they are selling it because it was his fathers and they are moving so he cant afford to transport it with him... he has vehicles of his own and doesnt need this one... i dont mind putting money into it, and he wanted $1200 but i brought him down to $900... i just feel like its an aweaome price and if i need to put money into it for stuff under the hood im okay with it.. i just dont want to have to replace the WHOLE thing.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

#11 ·
Hardtop and doors are worth over 1/2 the asking price. If nothing else you could probably buy it and flip it and make some $$ on it.

#14 ·
Find a mechanic. Hopefully a friend. If not, who does your matenance on your family cars? Ask if he'll go w/you to check it out, and be prepared to give him a few bucks for his time. Ask your mechanic if he'll be willing to do SOME work on the jeep...if it needs it.
I agree that $900 dollars looks good. Look at the rear differential. If it is just a round ball, that's OK. But if it has a drainplug at the center/3 o'clock position, that is a highly sought after Dana 44 piece. That along w/the doors/top etc...could help you recoup your cash should this project not work out.
If you pass, take more pics, especially the underside. Somebody else here may want it! Heck, I'd give you a finders fee. And if you list it here, get some $$ from the owner too.
Good Luck!

#16 ·
If it's a face-to-face deal, it's a great price. If it's an internet deal, it's a scam. Don't hand over any money until you see it in person and know that the seller has a title they can transfer to you.

#21 ·
From looking at the pic, you may have some rot at the base of the b post. Your terms is to look at the side of the vehicle and go straight down from the windshield. They commonly rot out in this area. The windshield frame looks ok. they tend to rot out along the bottom near the wiper mounts. Get under the vehicle and look for fluid leaks. If you see none be weary that it was cleaned up because all jeeps leak or they are out of fluid...lol. Probe around the body mounting brackets. Inside of the frame just in front of the rear axle and look at the rear of the frame at the rear crossmember. Those are the common rot areas. It will most likely have the inline 6 motor. Count how many gears it has on the transmission. 5 speeds are common with this year but the 176 is a better trasmission. Seats are not worth much if they are trashed. It also looks as if he has a second har top for it there. If he doesnt have any other jeep vehicles. (see the one standing up in the pic). If the body and frame are shot. Buy jeep to part it out. For that price you can easily double your money and turn around and buy a running jeep for a few more pennies. They are alot of fun and work as well. But low and behold you have a wealth of information available here for you. Just be polite, respectful and people will give you whatever information you need. Enjoy...

#25 ·
You guy's are a bunch of :crying:
I wasn't aware we were not able to post public links.
Who's to say I didn't see it first and another member started a thread on it ?
Is that still wrong?
Besides, 99.9% of us is unable to simply cross the border, buy a project Jeep, load it & haul it back to the USA!!!
If you see a $100 bill laying on the ground,
Do you bend over and pick it up, or do you say to yourself...... Meh, I come back on Friday and get it.
And I did NOT post any CL link!

#28 ·
Wow, $700 is getting into unbelievable territory, its almost like its a scam. You cannot pass that thing up for 700, please tell me you'll keep trying!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.